Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so I had dinner with Baddog tonight.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 16, 2006.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

since I bought my lathe Russ and I have been talking about machinist stuff for a bit now, well he happened to be coming to town for work and I told him if he ever came this way to give me a ring, well he did just that. I had him meet me at my machine shop so I could give him the grand tour of our plasma spray, grind, and machine shop. then we went to my pad and hung out and talked shop and he met my woman and our son.

what a great dude! was great to finally meet him. not what I expected, or I did'nt really know what to expect. actually I did not have any expectations I should say. So we all went to dinner and talked for quite some time about life and ofcourse wheelin and rigs. I had a great time and all I can say is Russ is welcome in my home anytime. I hope I get to wheel with him sometime, ofcourse after I finish my junk. let me tell ya he is a very intellegent guy. allways good to talk to someone like Russ, you can learn a thing or two from a person like that.

Russ, thanks again man! hope ya dont mind this. :D

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what am I? chopped liver? ;) just kidding, I shoulda said hey to him, your only 30-40 minutes from me

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't worry about it Branndon. He lives ten minutes from us and he doesn't visit us either.:haha:

4. rdn2blazer

Oops!, sorry, your a great guy too Branndon....no really!:D

it just might start to sound wierd if I say that about everyone I meet from here.:rolleyes: :p: :D :haha: :haha:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

lol :) hey check the regional board.. i'm gonna make a post

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a nice date. :pimp: :pimp1: :haha:

7. rdn2blazer

it was actually Russ, my woman and son, and myself, but ya, it was a nice date :D :p: :doah: :haha: :haha:

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, now you done made me have to make, what, my 4th or 5th post in the Lounge... Not many anyway.

And yes, it was a "nice date". ;) But it was me that was doing the learning.

Never before seen someone “spray” carbide and exotic alloys though what looked like (and sounded like!) a miniature hand held jet engine on full afterburner. Fantastic toys at home and work! That was one of the nicest "machine shops" (and so much more) I've ever been in. And just as I’m gawking at it right after I got there, he comments on how filthy the place is and that they need to clean it up. Plus the quality and complexity of stuff those guys do in both the machine shop and the plasma work is just, I dunno, "phenomenal" doesn't quite do it justice. I can’t count the times that I heard him say stuff like, “this isn’t too bad since it doesn’t need to be very precise, it can vary by a couple of thou... but on this other thing over here we have to hold a close tolerance...”

Anyway, it was a great time, and while I was exhausted after 2 weeks on the road, I’m very glad I found the energy to hook up while I was there. Now if I can find some way to tap into 1% or so of your machining knowledge and skill, I’ll be all set. :D Tell the family I said “Hi, and thanks for the great time!”

Sorry I missed everyone else in the area. When I travel, it usually leaves me pretty much completely tapped out. I guess I'm just not much of a social kinda guy so I don't really get out much, but next time I'm in the area, it would be fun to hook up with a group to meet (and meet again) some folks out there...

9. rdn2blazer

after the fact I realized just how many cool parts and things I did not remember to show you at the shop and parts I have at home. hope fully they will be on my rig when Im done.