Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I have these axles....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue84K10, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Blue84K10

Blue84K10 Registered Member

My friend just gave me a set of axles (12bolt chevy), leaf springs and blocks for a rancho four inch lift, and a 203 transfer case. I have a 84 short box with a manual four speed, that has a 1978 400cubic in V8. I also have 10 bolt axles right now. I was thinking about putting a rear disk brake kit on the axles before the install. Since I am new to this "SUPER NEWBIE" I was looking for suggestions on what I should to do the axles now before they are installed. Any tips concering preventive maintanaince and such. If you have any other suggestions or helpful advice please let me know. Thanks in advance :D

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

sell it and buy a 14bff then never look back

3. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

agreed if you are going to spend the time to swap an axle put in a 14 b:D

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Put in a 14-bolt, and join http://www.krazyk5.com.:D
    The 12 bolt is stronger than the 10 bolt, but not enough to make a big difference. I wouldn't say it's worth the work of the disk brake conversion either. A 14 bolt can be had for VERY cheap around here, I basically just had a guy pay me to take one if you do the math a certain way.

5. Blue84K10

Okie dokie I get it, so now it it time to go look for a 14bolt for praticaly free... Umm anyone know a good place to start looking around Seattle? Again I am a newbie with no shop connections. The 12bolts do have warn locking hubs so I am thinking of taking those and keeping them. Thanks for the help I guess I will start looking =)

6. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Can you post pics of them? you must have one of those rare 12bolt front ends that i keep hearing about:haha: :haha:

7. Blue84K10

Will do won't be up untill the 24th

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

actually, they wont be up. its impossible to post up something that doesnt exist. in this case, 12 bolt axles. :surepal:

9. Blue84K10

yes you guys were right there is 12bolt rear with a 10 bolt front with the warn hubs. I have pics but now I have to figure out how to post

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Why are you wanting to change your current ones out? Are the gears better in the free set you just picked up?

Strength wise there is no reason to change them out. The Warns can go into your current axle.

You don't have to change the axles to install the lift kit. You would need a few other things to make the lift complete....

11. Blue84K10

Still looking for the next to free 14 bolt. My uncle said he is going help me change the hubs cause he has done it before and the only wrenching I have done is ooil changes and brakes. TWO MORE DAYS and I get my own tools! If any of you have know any posts that a newbie should check let me know. I know that all the questions that I have asked and am going to ask have been asked before so any help would be appreciated!

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

http://seattle.craigslist.com/pts
    That's where I get all my rediculous deals. You're even more in the thick of it than I am, I've always got to drive up north to look at stuff. Give it a little time and wait for the right deal.:D

13. Blue84K10

Well my wallet and you are on the same page. My budget is putting my project on hold right now... Let me know peoples if you have seen any of these great deals floating around =)

14. Blue84K10

Well here is the deal. I am going to swap in the 12bolt untill I can find a good deal on a 14 boltff. Plus I guess I can use all the practice that I can get doing the swap. LOL The truck yard offered me one for $550 with what ever gears that I need installed, Is that a good deal? On my way to the truck yard my transfer case or transmission started slipping. When it pops out of gear all I have to do is stop but it into 4wheel low and then back to 2 wheel and it works just fine. It pops out on the highway but not in stop and go traffic. Would some please tell me that it is my transfer case and not my tranny, I have an extra 203 sitting on my porch so that would make things much easyer for me. Thanks for all the help people and the patience w/ dealling with my dumb questions!

15. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

I see 14 bolts go for around $100 all the time.What gears do your front ends have?203s have a weird linkage that can cause that problem:dunno:
    Good luck

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

17. Blue84K10

Soooo close someone came and picked up the whole truck.... next time!

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status