Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I just got back from test driving my new K5 and a couple of ???'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by triger, Feb 27, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

So I just got back from test driving my new K5 and a couple of ???\'s

<font color="green"> Ok I just went and test drove my new 90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. not bad but a few little quirks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

1. The throttle is very hard to push down...is this normal on chevy's? My old man's truck is alittle hard but not that much...

2. It has power windows and power door locks, but the windows are very slow to go down and even slower to go up? Need new motors? The door lock switch u have 2 push it a few times and it locks?

3.When I come to a stop the rear clunks? makes no noises when taking off. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. The steering wheel is off while driving straight but nothing seems loose, alignment maybe?

5. Heat and air condition work but blows out week in the middle vents, vent hoses maybe not on all the way?

6. intermittent wipers, works when u hit the washer but not when u use the wiper switch? Bad switch since wiper works with washer?

7. Leather seats...Is there a place that recovers them?

That is all I have foound and can thiink to ask about, I would appreciate all the answers I can get. Thanks... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: So I just got back from test driving my new K5 and a couple of ???\'s

[ QUOTE ]
    1. The throttle is very hard to push down...is this normal on chevy's?

[/ QUOTE ]
    mine is and ive heard there's a cure, but i don't care
    [ QUOTE ]
    4. The steering wheel is off while driving straight but nothing seems loose, alignment maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]
    mine was like this too when i bought it, but there are ways to correct it.
    that;s all i can help with sorry i couldn't help more

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1) no IMO. My dads is, mine is not. Hard to push gas pedals are not fun. I'd fix it if I were him.

2)Slow windows have been covered multiple times here, try a search. Usually "simple" such as tracks need lube. Can be worse though.

3)Clunks can be multiple things. I'd look at the u-joint(s) first, just because they are easy to check.

4)Sounds like the drag link needs adjusting. Shouldn't be a big deal. Alignment is never a bad idea anyways.

5)Probably the hoses.

6)No clue, this may have been covered before as well.

7)No leather seats as far as I know, vinyl only. Any upholstery place should be able to recover them, and perhaps www.lmctruck.com (or others) sell kits to do it yourself. I've seen the kits before, they were only about $100.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'll try and answer them (or at least give you some ideas)...

My gas pedal is fairly stiff on my 88 so I think this is just a quirk of the older gm's. I guess it could also be the cable wearing a bit.

The windows prolly just need the tracks and arms greased. They use lithium grease at the factory and that stuff dries out over time. Pull the switches apart and clean the contacts, that will help and will also fix the problem with the locks not working right away. Be careful when taking the switches apart though, the plastic tabs can snap pretty easily.

The rear end could be a couple things but it's most likely a u-joint. I'm sure the other guys will chime in here with different possibilites.

It probably just needs an alignment but new tie rod ends on the tie rod and drag link will help a lot too. Eventually ball joints would be a good idea too, since they're 13 years old it wouldn't hurt to change em.

Vent problem could be a weak (or leaking) vacuum actuator in the air box or loose hoses.

The wipers I'm not quite sure about. It could be the delay module (plasitc module under the steering column with an aluminum heat sink on it), the switch, or the park switch on the motor. When my park switch went bad the delay didnt work and the wipers stopped where ever they were on the windshield when I shut them off.

For the seats I would just look in the yellow pages for upholstery reconditioning, there's usually a few places around any city that can do a nice job.

These are just the things that popped in my head right away so there are definitely other possibilities. I'm sure someone else will have some good recommendations too.

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2. It has power windows and power door locks, but the windows are very slow to go down and even slower to go up? Need new motors? The door lock switch u have 2 push it a few times and it locks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remove your door panels and clean and lube all the guides and stuff. Also spray some silicon lube down the side rails. That should help.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine was off. I loosened a bolt under the hood on the shaft near the firewall and rotated until wheel was straight. You should see it if you look. Make sure your wheels are straight forward before doing this.

[ QUOTE ]
    7. Leather seats...Is there a place that recovers them?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I ordered new covers from Chevy Duty and reupolstered them myself. Pretty easy to do. It was my first time and only takes about 30-60 minutes for each seat.

What part of NJ you from?

6. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Well thank you all...I appreciate the help and I can not wait to start tearing into this truck to change it to a good looking beater!!!

Hey jakeslim I am from northern Jersey too!!!Budd Lake, Morris County...Maybe when I get this truck going we can hook up and trade ideals...Let me know or drop me a line sometime...I will check into where u go your got your seat covers, do you have a phone number or website for them?

T </font>

7. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

My dads 79 had a very stiff pedal, turns out when the carb was replaced they didn't use the correct return springs, Swapped in a regular one and its fine.

Now as for the vents, you said the middle ones???, If you mean all 4 vents in the dash facing towards the occupants, then its a vacuum problem, but if you meant just the two middle ones in the centre then I'm not sure.

8. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green"> never mond I found the Chevy Duty site...had it stored in my favs...Only prob is they don't go to 90 only 87...Wonder if the seats are the same?

T </font>

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I lived in Budd Lake for a year(two years ago) in the village green apts. Had my K5 in storage then. Now its out of storage and I am working on the whole truck as weather permits.....I'm from Cali so this snow is brutal on me and my k5!

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i love he heavy pedals

i have size 17 feet....i drive my moms explorer and i squeel the tires everytime i touch it...too sensitive
    mine i have more control...but thats my opinion

11. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> 3.When I come to a stop the rear clunks? makes no noises when taking off. T</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the U bolts that hold the rear spring down. My 90 Blazer "CLUNKED" both up front and rear, when I torqued down all of the spring u bolts the clunk stopped. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just remember to torque them in a criss cross pattern on the rear springs.

Dan...

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> never mond I found the Chevy Duty site...had it stored in my favs...Only prob is they don't go to 90 only 87...Wonder if the seats are the same?

T </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would either email or call them, but I would guess those seats are fine. The chevy truck body styles changed after 87 for pickups and after 91 for Blazers. Most "87 pickup" stuff is good through 91 on Blazers.

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

1. Depends. It's probably a wore out cable. If you remove the cable from both the throttle body and the pedal it'll seem like it works just fine but there is a groove worn in there. I kind of like a stiff stupid pedal. It makes it impossible to have a case of the "jerks" like when I drive a vehicle with an easy pedal. I, do, however, seem to be curses with everything I drive needs a new throttle cable. They always seem to fray on me. I don't know what I do to them.

I like a pedal stiff enough so that I have to press on it and it isn't real sensitive. I drove a 2000 Sonoma the other day and It'd go to the floor if I rested my foot on it.

2. It can be many things. It could be getting crappy voltage. Make sure the voltage across the terminals while running the motor stays near 12v. Make sure the switches are clean... but be prepared to have to go buy a new one if you break one. Clean out the window regulator. I usually spray out the tracks with brake cleaner and then put in some fresh lithium grease. With age, the original assembly lube tends to get sticky.

3. Sounds like a bad universal or some sloppy rear brakes.

4. Go to the alignment shop and get an "alignment" and have them set it straight. There isn't a whole lot of aligning on these trucks. Pretty much all they do is set toe-in and make sure the steering wheel is straight.

5. Open the glove box. Stick your hand up next to where the little box is to put pens/other junk and you'll feel a flexible tube going onto a piece of plastic. Yours probably fell off. A good indicator is if the glovebox is a pain in the butt to close sometimes.

6. I've got the same problem but I don't know what it is. I bought a new in-column switch and that wasn't the problem so I'm leaning towards the box on the outside of the cab in my case (1984).

7. Call up the local upholstery shop. Tent &amp; Awning places are often your best bet though. They're usually tickled pink if you lend them a seat to use to build a cover for. They don't like going seat-of-the-pants method when they make new skins. Expect to pay big money.

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

2. try cleaning the motor gear out with a degreaser and regrease, it worked on my '85 that i had. they worked great after i cleaned them and regreased them. you can get a new lock switch for a few dollars at most parts stores
    4. adjust drag link to straighten, but getting your alignment checked can't hurt
    6. mine does the same thing, i was told it is the intermittent wiper control unit, dealer only
    from what i've been told, i just run wipers w/out intermittent.

15. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

sounds like my truck except for the leather seats