Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so i just got in an argument with my dad...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Nov 20, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

over a piece of paper that i got in the mail a couple days back regarding my eligibility for jury duty in '07. yes, i know it needs to be filled out and sent back in. no big deal, im gonna do it. he's jumping my ass about not doing it, and how they're going to hunt me down and put me in jail if i dont fill it out tonight (as if the mailman is going to magically show up when i finish filling it out at 1am :rolleyes: )

then, being the ass that he is, he brings some bull**** out of nowhere. about how i'm going to get a DUI, and he's going to kick me out of the house. now keep in mind, when i go out, i generally dont have more than 3 beers, and i dont generally stay out for less than 4 hours. plenty of time to metabolize what little alcohol there is. i dont think its a huge issue, and neither do my law enforcement aquaintances. then he procedes to tell me how if i get in an accident, and injure someone that they can sue him for everything he's got. is this true? keep in mind that my trucks are 100% in my name, as is my insurance policy. the only ties between us is the fact that i still live under his roof (although hopefully not for long, im getting extremely tired of his bull**** arguments like this). i'm 26 years old, financially responsible for myself, am i not? if someone could in fact sue him, why cant i sue the landlord of someone who is at fault in an accident with me, after all, they are living under his/her roof.

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

sounds like some of the sh!t my step dad gave me when I was 17. I had to get my own policy and paid three times what it should have cost me.

if you were a minor, then I could see someone sueing him, but you're 26 and I don't think anyone can because you're an adult.

3. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ummmm, not one to criticize or throw stones, nor do I know anything about your situation, but the roof thing does hold some weight, whatever is legal about suing or not.

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ditto...his house, his rules...if you want to be a big boy and be responsible for your own stuff and not get talked to about it then move out. Simple as that.
    (Although him being tied up w/ your court problems [if they did arise] sounds like something that couldn't happen).

-Avery

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the situation is, i was ready to buy a house 2 1/2 years ago, he finds out that he's going to be having major back surgery, so i stuck around to help out. finally got back to work about 14 months ago, worked for a month and got layed off. dicked the dog for 3 months and "couldnt find a job", got back in at the same company in a different department. about 4 months in, he falls off a ladder and messes up his knee because he wasnt paying attention to where he put his air hoses, time for another surgery. basically, i've been carrying his busted ass for about 2 years now. all i get in return for it is bull**** arguments.

i feel i'm being responsible with my actions by limiting my consumption, and if i'm even slightly in doubt of my condition, i dont drive.

i need to just get the fock out of here. while it may be leaving him "high and dry", there's ALWAYS something wrong with him. if i keep being mr nice guy, im gonna end up like a certain other member. he's got this damn medical book that he reads, he'll read the symptoms of something, and be convinced that he has it.

hell, it even extends to his vehicle. the 700R4 in my 92 acted up for a couple days, suddenly when he becomes aware of it, his transmission is slipping. my sister has a brake pad come apart on her car, so it needed pads and rotors. suddenly, his are "metal to metal"... its getting pretty old. :mad:

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lol, my dad worked with a lady like that...true story...
    one time he went in on a Monday and was tired of her always having the next big disease and so he made sure to pay attention to the news and media that weekend...sure enough when she came in the first thing she says is that she is 100% sure that she has xxxxx disease. Right on cue in front of everyone my dad asks if she is sure...and of course she said yes I have xxxx,xx,xxx,xxxxx, symptoms....and then he said, "hmmm, thats strange because I saw that on 60 Minutes too this weekend and it is only found in males". ROFL

Ok, that was off topic...anyway. Just because you move out doesn't mean that you are dropping off the face of the planet....move out, if he needs help then you are only a phone call away.
    Simple as that.

-Avery

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

How about just filling out the form.

There is a lot more under the surface but that would probably diffuse things in the interim.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

but if i take on financial responsibility of my own home, those funds are now spoken for. the whole reason i'm still here... :rolleyes: and trust me, if i move out... once a week and i'm good. lived with this crap for 26 years, its time for a break.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, it wouldnt... been there did that. still had the argument.

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

3 beers in four hours, maybe not. But 4 beers in 3 hours WILL get you a DUI....

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not a Dr. and don't know enough about your body weight/composition to gauge, so i'll skip the beers/hour=dui argument.

I agree with satrasotausmc and jiminy completely so I'll leave it at that.

As to suing him, the answer is yes, he can be sued. Whether the plaintiff could win depends on many, many things and is questionable.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bottom line--he's STILL your DAD!..

Sorry to hear your father isn't getting along with you..I know parents can be too anal about many things,especially obeying the law,and consuming controlled substances..but you need to realize he's only looking out for your best interests,not just being a ballbuster..it took my dads DEATH to realize all the times I had argued with him were mostly over trivial BS that should never have come between us..and that he was RIGHT 99% of the time!..

I battled with my parents over my "rights" while living under their roof often in my youth--and still do with my mother..its HER house,if I don't like the "rules" I am free to leave,but have no money or place to go ..so I deal with it..does it suck??--yes,it does!..

I can put up with some limitations in exchange for living here without paying rent..don't have much choice really,unless I want to abandon my mother and leave her here to fend for herself alone..though I dont get along well with her,I don't want to have that on my concience when she does finally pass away..

I could say something like "how does it feel",but I will refrain..I see your finally starting to see the light as you approach 30,as to how life is going to be now that your "grown up"...and if I'm that "certain poster" you dont want to turn into,then take my advice--either man up and take care of your father,and be glad you still have one,or move out now,before your situation becomes as bleak and hopeless as my own has become..I watched my dad waste away from Parkinson's disease for 10 years and he vomited daily for nearly the whole time from stomach problems..it would have been easy to run from here,but I didn't..

I chose to help my parents at the expense of my own life,I feel God wants it that way..I could have just closed my eyes and walked away,had a good life of my own---I was doing rather well when I decided to quit my real job, and build a garage on their property and try making a bussiness for myself.....

...but had I walked away,I dont think my soul would have ever been at peace,knowing I'd abandoned the very ones who brought me into this world,and made sure I grew up, and survived to live in it..

I dont think its such a big sacrifice,compared to what they had to go thru for ME while I was growing up..yes,your parents CAN be a real pain,but time is on your side--they wont be around forever--learn to comprimise and keep a good relationship with them if at all possible--I know its hard,but you have to "bend"--or you'll break....

As for your dad losing his home if YOU get sued over an accident,etc--I bet it CAN happen..there are "homestead clauses" that can be had for a small fee that will protect his home from lawsuits ..they might not be "bullet proof" though...

I'm no lawyer,but I think as long as your living at his home,your name has to be on his car insurance policy,and vice versa,even if you never drive each others vehicles--thats the way it is here--I have my moms name on my insurance policy,even though she could never drive any of my vehicles..mine is on hers because I use her Caravan to take her shopping and to do other chores..if I had an accident and wasn't listed on her policy and was living under her roof,the insurance company can legally refuse to pay..:crazy:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i am specifically excluded from his insurance. mine was excluded from his when i was younger, and the insurance company wants like $500 to take that exclusion off. :screwy:

14. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I believe in "my house my rules" statements. But you are helping him out too?
    You do have the option of being there or not. You are over 18, and no longer under his custody. Maybe you both need a wake up call. And yeh, the older you get the smarter he'll get. It just keeps happening that way, no matter what you think. Move out, and visit once in a while, help him now and then, and you'll both probably appreciate each other more.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Being a dad. I get anal with my adult kids..... Or so they say......... I just figure if they want to be adults and live with me they can put up with my rules and my $HTT. Or move out.

BTW. As a 26 year old man your parents are not legally or financially responsible for your actions. You are. Dosen't matter where you live.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Is this his normal attitude or do you think he might be trying to make you move out? My dad made things clear to me when he started charging me rent at 18.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it is normal, i've just had enough of it. i too have paid rent since i was 19 and quit school, though its not really enough to be an attempt at "pushing me out the door."

18. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Ditto, Dad's pissed off about something and is pulling stuff out of the air ... or somewhere else.

Eric M.

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

As long as you are on your own policy and the trucks are4 in your name, in NO WAY can it caome back to your dad. The way it was described to me was if you lived in an apartment and got in an accident, could the person sue your landlord? Btw beater my dad give me basicly the same exact stuff. hit me up on aim if ya wanna chat

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That makes it a little tougher. It might still be time to start saving up and planing a move before you end up hating him. Good luck man.