Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so i made over 100% on my investment.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, May 6, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i know this is kinda long, but it's my funny story of the day, so bear with me.

so the tranny in my k5 is shot and i have to wait till july for its replacement. i have an s series blazer which i'm trying to sell, and my friend just gave me his POS 87 honda civic. I figure if i can make that honda run for 3 months, it will help the pocket book and maybe i can get someother projects taken care of on the k5 before it is back up on the road.

anyway, my buddy said that the mechanic told him he needed to replace his water pump, but he wasn't sure if it would be worth it b/c my buddy hadn't taken care of his car and over heated it a bunch of times. so my buddy gives me his car and i picked up a water pump for $30 at my parts store. spent a little while installing it this morning and then made a couple short runs with it - no problem, except that the valve on the radiator started leaking horribly after i started it up. so i'm ready to drive home, fill up the cooling system again so that it can leak out all the way home and i get a couple miles down the road and the stupid thing is steaming like crazy. i think the water passages were really warpd or something b/c the cylinder head is the only thing which seemed to be hot. so then i decide i don't want to deal with it and that its just going to go to the wrecking yard today.

so i call my buddy up and we find a place who'll give me $50 for it. after letting the car cool for a while, we were miraculously able to restart it. my buddy misinterpreted the location of the place and we went miles the wrong direction! i start hearing pieces breaking in side the engine - but it still drives, only slowly. i hear more pieces breaking and then it dies. we coast into a parking lot and as we rev the starter, it sounds like a rod is flapping back and forth in the block - wierd sound. we let it cool for 20 minutes or so and again, my buddy is miraculously able to start it! so he takes off like a bat out of hell and i jump in his car and start following. i've never heard such wierd noises from a car before. we get maybe 1/4 the way to the wrecking yard and the car blows this big black cloud of smoke! it was pretty sick. he rolls into a parking lot and tells me the oil light turned on and the car shut off on him about 3 times while he drove it as far as he did.

still, we are determined to not pay for a tow truck in spite of the 5 miles we have to go. conveniently, my buddy had two tie down straps in his car, so we figured we might as well try towing it with those attatched between his current honda and the one with the blown engine. so there i am being towed in the little honda by his other honda and i'm only about 3 feet behind him going 50 mph down this busy street. you know that "OH SH!T" feeling you get when you look down briefly on the freeway and look up and realize that the traffic is suddenly stopped and you have to slam on your brakes? that's what it felt like for 5 miles - i couldn't believe how fast he was driving and i couldn't do a d@mn thing about it.

we finally get no where and realize we don't know where that wrecking yard is, but we ended up infront of another one, conveniently. i get out, wipe the "OH SH!T" off of my face, and decide that when i get home i'm going to need a new pair of pants. Anyway, to cut to the chase, this place gave me $75 for the car. So my $30 investment turned over 100%. :D btw, it started again once we got to the wrecking yard. :haha:

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

That's one hell of an investment. :thumb: :thumb:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I woulda pulled the water pump before sending it to it's final resting place, then returned it saying it was wrong...:p:

Rene

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i thought about that, but it was a real pain in the @ss. it is run off of the timing belt and so you've gotta take the valve cover off, the timing cover off, the alternator off, and to do it right (i couldn't b/c i couldn't keep the engine from turning) you have to take off the crank pulley and the other half of the timing cover - i just bent the hell out of it trying to get enough room to get a ratchet in there - it worked, but it wasn't worth my time. :D