Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I put some LEDs in my turn signals....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84blazend, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 84blazend

84blazend Registered Member

I have a slow week ahead of me here at school (automotive technology), so I figured I would install some LEDs on my 84 Blazer.

the blazer
    [​IMG]

took the grille out
    [​IMG]

LEDs glued in
    [​IMG]

the final product
    [​IMG]

I don't think it turned out too bad. The lights are wired to a switch, so they don't come on if I turn the parking lights or headlights on.

I plan on upgrading to an 81-82 bumper with the parking lights right in the bumper as I will be installing some red LEDs there too.

How does it look?

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kinda cool looking, you should do a detailed write up on this.

3. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Keep an eye on them when you use the turn signals.... I put them in my Blazer a couple of weeks ago then found out the blinker speed was way too slow. PLus they weren't really that bright...Kinda freaked me out, anybody wouldn't catch dead on if I was stopping or changing lanes.. I switched back to stock 1157s and 168s then my blinker speed went back to normal.. LEDs are cool for conserving the battery and etc but I think they suck...

4. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I think he just wired them seperate from his turn signals so it still uses the factory bulbs and the LEDs are just an added effect.

They look cool, nice job.... but just my opinion, but I'd leave the bumper you have. Never been a fan of those 81-82 bumpers

5. 84blazend

eclipse - the lights are indeed wired seperate from the factory lights. I have them wired to a simple switch below the headlight switch that has a red LED that comes on when the lights are turned on.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If one does go with just LEDs I've read the blinker problem comes from the LEDs not drawing enough power for the flasher to read it properly. I'm not sure if you can use a different flasher but there is a way to wire up a resistor(?) so they use just enough for the flasher yet less than a bulb.:D

I think a search for "LED wiring" would get results.;)

7. 84blazend

Bkinzey - you are right. one can buy some little things (can't think of the nam right now off the top of my head) that place a load on the circuit in order for the LEDs to function properly

8. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Cheap LEDs tend to be dimmer too. You almost have to wire a resistor in series with them to keep them from burning out.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You can buy an "electronic" flasher that has a solid state timer in it and is not dependent on the current draw to make the blinkers flash. I have one on my K5 because it would falsh too fast with the old flasher and a trailer. The electronic flasher is aboot $12.

Ira

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is the right way to do it.
    I did that when i wired my trailer light and it went too fast.
    The LED are nice because they don't draw too much current, why would i want to add resistors to draw more current. :D

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have leds for taillights plenty bright but you do have to use a mechnical style flasher I got mine for about 8 bucks you only have to get one the hazards work fine

leds.jpg