Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I put the shifter in reverse for the maiden voyage and...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 20, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Nothing. No load on the motor or anything. Check the fluid and it was low so I threw in a few more quarts. Still no reverse or drive. I go to put it in park and it made the most horrible noise I have ever heard out of a TH350. Not a gear grinding noise but more of a loud buzzing sound.

I have a Megashifter and I thought it was adjusted properly but it might have been a hair off to begin with, not so bad that it was in between shifts or anything like that. Any ideas what might have caused this? I had the modulator and kickdown cable installed. Trans cooler was OK. The only thing I can think of is if the torque converter was pulled a little to far away and the splines didnt engage?

This is a real set back. I am about ready to throw the whole thing in the fire. I put 2 quarts in the torque converter before I installed it. Both tcases were in gear. I had the trans rebuilt by who I consider the best transmission guy in the state. I really don't want to have to pull this fkn thing.

ramble...ramble....ramble....

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I know you said you had the tcases in gear, but it sounds like one of them was in neutral.
    Or, tranny fluid still low. Had just enough to turn something, but not enough to move anything.

3. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Try installing driveshafts!! JK
    Sounds like reverse just went out. if thats the case. Had the same thing happen to mine but It was when I was in drive. I'm not sure what the problem was but, I could put the trans in 1st and get it going and manually shift through the gears. The clicking/grinding sound is your parking paw hitting against the little notches that it uses. I can't remember the term. any how Mine broke and then mine wouldnt stay in park anymore. Check Shifter adjustments on T-case. also. I know you said it was in gear but nuteral is a spot also.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine does that when the Tcase is in neutral and I try to put it in park.

Ira

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I could have sworn the cases were in gear. :doah::eek1::crazy:

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the noise you hear is the parking pin trying to engage while the motor is spinning the trans. your t-case is definitely in neutral. I have done the same thing. next time shut off the motor then put it in park.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yup, been there done that. :doah:

8. tlspeed

tlspeed Registered Member

If your cases are gear and what not, and you still cant figure whats wrong. This is what happened to me when I backed out of the garage and went to drive, had nothing, then went to park and it made a horrible grinding noise.

In my case, inside the th350 where the shift shaft comes through the case, there is a nut that holds a short arm on. The nut came loose, which allowed the arm to come lose and and the little S linkage to fall off the gear selector on the valve body. When the shifter was moved it would still push the valve body shifter one direction and cause it to bind making awfull noises.

To fix this, I pulled pan reassembled and tacked the nut on to the shaft. No more problems as of today.