Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I quit today, and took the job back in the same second...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 25, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

So I went into the boss' office today and said "I'm giving my notice". He asked why? "Money". Then he offered me a Garauntee. How much? 40 hours a week. I'll stay... If you don't know, a garauntee is mildly a form of flat rate. I am garaunteed to be paid for 40 hours a week(which I have yet to turn on purely flat rate), but if I turn more than that I get paid the higher amount. Truthfully I plan to do it until I have some money saved up in the bank then move on(probably in a month). We shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice yesterday guys. I anticipated him offering me a raise or something that wouldn't be worth it to me, but not this.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

did he ask you how much or tell you? congrats

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Your hard work is already starting to pay off. You must be turning into a pretty good tech if he wants to keep you around.

:waytogo:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm one of 4 Mitsubishi Techs, only one is certified. He wants another certified tech, and wants to send me to shcool. I have been looking forward to that, but not certain now. Worried about whether they'd pay for it if I quit shortly afterwards.

Oh and he just offered it. He said "How about if I put you back on a garauntee?" I said "how much of a garauntee?" "40 hours" "yeah that will work."

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

From the way you worded it, and the way i read it, he is going to guarantee you 40 hours of work per week,,,:confused:

if he going to guarantee you 40 hours worth of pay per week, you basically just went on a type of salary pay unless you work overtime.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hes garaunteeing to pay me for 40 hours of work, whether i do that much or not. If I do more than that, I get paid for the more. There is no overtime available to me.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That's what i figured, just making sure, that's cool, sounds like as mentioned, he doesn't want you to go,,,must be doing something right :D

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

awesome man, congrats! thats why i dont work on cars... there is no flat rate **** in diesel/heavy equipment. that and i hate working on cars.

but yeah you must be shaping up to be a decent tech if he wants to keep you around... makes you feel good huh? one shop i used to wark at here in town has a no rehire policy but the service manager said he'd overlook that if i ever wanted to come back.

9. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Get the 40 hour guarantee in writing.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if they screw me out of it, I'm out of there that day for damn sure.

They like to **** me over too. I went flat rate twice so far. First when I was barely able to turn 15 hours. They didn't bother warning me I was going flat rate. Then they put me on a 25 hour garauntee when they realized how bad I was doing. Then after that 25 hour garauntee was up, the through me to the dogs again. No warning sent me flat rate.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with Mike N. If they have screwed you twice, they will do it again.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Got to thinking, based on everyone's comments I'd ask your boss why that change keeps happening. How he answers it more than what he says would be telling.