Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so i searched

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oatsk5, Oct 2, 2006.

1. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And didnt find any info on wirirng a sun pro tach to an 89 tbi engine now its been a while since ive done this install this tach has
    one red wire
    one black wire
    one green wire
    one blue wire

im thinking the blue would replace the white its used and it was free
    now the question is were do i run the green as this dist is dif than a hei

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ok....If I was closer than 2 hrs from my truck I could tell you exactly. Its been so long since I wired mine in that I dont really remember. Im guessing black is ground, red is hot wire, either green or blue goes to the distributor, and the remaining blue/green wire is for a light bulb. One could possibly not be necessary or be designed to go to a dimmer switch for the lights.
    -Harrison

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

i just wired my autometer the other day and didn't really find was i was looking for on here either. There should be a recent thread here in the garage from within the week from me asking and i did get a couple responses. But On my autometer, green went to the tach, red is your ignition power, black was ground, and my illumination wire was white. To test it, get two jumper wires, wire the ground to your chassis or off the negative on the battery. Then take your second jumper wire and put it on your red wire then to the positive on the battery, if the tach drops to zero, then thats your ignition. If you hook it up to your blue wire and to the postive and your light turns on, then thats pretty obvious, and if you do the same for the green wire and nothing happens....... then thats your dist. wire.

But now my question to you is..... are you asking WHERE does your distributor wire hook up to?

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

green goes to dizzyy, red power, black ground, blue illumination

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So IIRC, there will be a white "spare" wire or terminal on the coil harness that will be the distributor feed, and the red should be an *ignition switched* terminal.

You shouldn't need to cut anything to wire this up, your fuse panel has more than enough empty slots to do what you need it too, except maybe dimming with the headlights. I *think* there is even an empty slot on the fuse panel for this, but I can't recall off the top of my head.

TBI wiring diagrams have been posted, can't recall if the fuse panel portion is there as well.