Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so I want to make exaust cut outs, where to start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75, Aug 25, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I really want to be able to hear the open pipes at least once in a while, but the only cable operated ones I have seen are 2.5 inch or below.

Any one know where I van get 3 inch ones, or how to make them?? Ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Somebody used to sell them in the back of Chevy High Performance or Car Craft.

I'd just get some wyes or build your own and use power door lock actuators to open and close them.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, the only people that I know that have experience with cutouts, say they are a pain. Warp and or rust so they don't work smoothly or at all.

No personal experience, just what I've heard. They sounded like a pain.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd just get the ones with wing nuts.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Here's one idea: have an exhaust shop make up some "Y" pipes to put behind your headers. One branch would go straight to your existing pipes and the other would just dump. The second branch would be covered off by plates held on with wing nuts. If you had everything made from stainless pipe with stainless hardware, it should last a while.

Here's the only good "automatic" idea I have. Use a pair of stock "heat risers" to block off the straight exhaust path. You would have to modify them a little to make them close all the way (instead of just most of the way) Then you could use the stock vacuum actuators to open and close them. Ideally, use would use vacuum to open with spring close, but they are set up the opposite way. Maybe that could be changed? The diameter of these isn't real big, though. Mid-80's trucks have a vacuum switch that is electrically operated for the EGR valve. You could snag one of this to give you control over the system with a switch.

I think reliability will be the biggest issue. Good luck

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well if you are $$ you could look at getting parts from diesel exhaust brakes
    like pacbrake for cummins B C/ford powerstrokes

not certain they seal 100%

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    On the TV show Trucks they highlited a pair of cutouts that they put on "copperhead". They were operated by switch and used a solenoid to open/close them. I do not remember the name of the company that made them, but I do remember that they were very high dollar items $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Open exhaust just plain sucks. I was running it on my '83 for about 2 months. I finally got a used y-pipe on there and a new cat and igged up a muffler and tailpipe until I can afford a real exhaust.

I couldn't hear [I love Jeeps] with open manifolds and my clothes smelled bad after driving for a few minutes.

It is fun though to sit next to a ricer with a 6" fart can when he revs at you the you just stab it an nearly shatter the bitch's ear drums. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

a picture is worth a bajillion words....I have the cutout after my cats, and it's not too bad. sounds better than open headers.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

10. supersize75

is that a 3 inch pipe, did you buy it or make it, I guess I will be doing a wing nut style for reliability /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. JaymzLD

JaymzLD Registered Member

12. supersize75

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif