Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so i was talkin to this guy...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Nov 19, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a guy on pirate4x4 posted an email address you could use to contact a guy who made BEEFY diff covers for cheap. My ff14b has the stock cover on it, and I wanted a beefy one, so I gave em an email. Turns out the cover was way cheaper than competitors making similar items and that they guy was just starting out as far as selling stuff in larger quantities. At any rate, i got to talkin to em via email and he asked me what else other than diff covers and ff14b disc brake brackets the full size chevy crowd might be interested in getting from a fabricator looking to serve the beefy-but-value-priced market. Not exactly sure what capabilities their shop has, but with that in mind, what would you guys like to see? There are always shackle flip kits and stuff, but what else? Just to give y'all an idea, I got my ff14b cover for $105 shipped across the country to my door. ring is 1/2" thick steel, rest of cover is 1/4" etc.

anyway, any1 have any ideas? he's just lookin for ideas, so anything and everything is fair game...

j

2. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

rons rock shop has them for cheap to. I think they were 90 bucks

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

both my bluetorch covers were $108 to my door.

4. jekbrown

this guys were cheaper than both of those... and neither post answers the question at hand. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cause I can't think of anything else /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, those are really the only things that are like universally used. If he wants to design a 4 link kit and sell the bracketry and all fine but then it would have to change for ride heights and whatever so thats out.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

BUmpers, spare tire carriers, sliders, roll cages, axle trusses grill guards, skid plates. Just some ideas ..........

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

does any one "mas produce" A tube rear bumper with swing away tire carrier? that would be /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ring is 1/2" thick steel, rest of cover is 1/4" etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were 3/8" thick? This is the guy from ebay right with the backhoe (I think that is what that is) pressing on it?

9. jekbrown

yeah, it is the same guy from ebay. Not 100% sure if its 1/4 or 3/8"... mine will be here on friday though, I'll post a full review (save trail testing) and pics then.

j

10. jekbrown

yeah, he was sayin that he has some heep friends that wanted bumpers. It seems there is a niche to be filled between cheapo-junk bumpers and full on pimpin 4x4 iron ones. KMA is really slow to fill orders.. and some of the other inexpensive options have closed up shop. It'd be cool if everything could be made to order, including swing away tire carriers. I'll pass that on.

axle trusses are always good, and relatively simple to build too so they'd prolly be reasonably $ too. Dunno if he has the capability to produce steering arms or other machined type parts... but they are always an option.

anyone else? ideas?

j

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

traction bars

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'd like to see some front bumpers in the style of KMA and Road Armor/Trailready. Everyone seems to like the tube style or pre-runner type but I have no interest in those. Something along the style of a Warn bumper or KMA bumper for first and second gen Blazers would be nice.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, he was sayin that he has some heep friends that wanted bumpers. It seems there is a niche to be filled between cheapo-junk bumpers and full on pimpin 4x4 iron ones. KMA is really slow to fill orders.. and some of the other inexpensive options have closed up shop. It'd be cool if everything could be made to order, including swing away tire carriers. I'll pass that on.

axle trusses are always good, and relatively simple to build too so they'd prolly be reasonably $ too. Dunno if he has the capability to produce steering arms or other machined type parts... but they are always an option.

anyone else? ideas?

j

[/ QUOTE ]]

my stepdad has a ton of welders and plasma cutter and grinders and everything he has been collecting lately and putting in his ten year old garage, he wants to start doing work for ppl, maybe we can build some bumpers and such for ppl, if we had plans drawn up and such,

whats funny about this is that this is the kind of work i really want to do and have been trying to find an "in" into for years now.

stepdad wants to do general weldign repair and also boat floor installations ofr ppl. he even has welder for other types of metal now too. so aluminum and such will be good to work with /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

and a couple of big name brand portable welders too for hauling around in the truck, multi-task ones.

shipping costs would be what would kill some deals though i would think

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forgot to mention, blue torch is coming out with a 14 bolt cover that will have a 3/4" thick ring, 1/2" bottom ramp(doubled 1/4"), and hte rest will be the standard 1/4". Wish I knew about it before but Dan only started talking about it a few days ago.

15. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

good rock sliders would be nice. it would cost me the same amount of money to buy someone elses that it would to build my own. and all the different shops I have talked to are many weeks out on getting something built.

16. jekbrown

ok, sent em some ideas... including real cool stuff like DIY soft top kits, an everymans 4-link setup, over the top d60 truss, sliders, modular made-to-order bumpers yada yada yada. We'll see what he thinks. Im hopin I can convince him that the DYI softtop kits would be worth while. I dunno about you guys, but I dont care how good a canback is, I aint spending $1k+ on one. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

yeah, but will it fit? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, but will it fit? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

only time will tell I guess. like any new product, ya got to build it, beat the snot out of it... then beat it somemore. If it holds up ya sell em en masse, if not, ya go back to the drawing board. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif all i know is that it seems like if the kit was well designed, peeps could make their own tops how THEY want them and even if they were a step below a canback on overall quality... they'd cost $7-800 less. If ya want bling, get a canback.. but not all of us can afford a $1k top. I mean, if I still had a half ton rig and had the option of spending $1k on a soft top, or $1k on a D60... is that even a choice?! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j