Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So if front blocks are bad, why are rear ones OK?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 25, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Everybody says that front blocks will pop out and go flying. I can see where that would detrimental to your suspension, nevermind the passersby.

But why don't rear blocks pop out? Is it that the rear axle isn't subject to the lateral stresses that the front is (since the front end is what turns)? ... seems like the rear axle would still see sideways pressure when twisted up in the rocks...

anyway, inquiring minds ... inquire. I didn't think this was quite COG enough but for all I know it'll end up with a subtitle of torsional stress analysis /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EDIT: While I own a pair of 4" blocks, they're currently holding down the back of the truck (ie loose in the bed) and I intend in the future to only use them to hold down other things (ie paperweights) When I get the housing squared away for me and the trucks, Karnak The Invincible sees a shackle flip in my future to go with my front lift springs (thanks DesertRat!)

-- A

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are right. Lateral pressure is a big issue, in a crawler you are right it will get plenty of lateral stress. You will never see blocks in a rig I own, hunt me down and shoot me if I ever change from that statement. I should note, don't count something I bought and plan to replace /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Blocks can and do pop out of the rear suspension. It's not only lateral stress but the amount of torque applied to them. If you're considering blocks for the suspension please think about what you will be doing with your rig (street only or actually wheeling) and think about how much money you'll save by doing things right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My DD came from the factory with rear blocks.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I doubt it's taller than 2" though. That's the maximum safe limit IMHO. I'll be running a 2" block for my 63" rear springs IF I need it to level out with my 6" fronts.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you will likely need something.

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I have a Superlift 2" suspension lift with blocks in the rear. What would be a good set of replacement rear springs to eliminate the need for blocks? As it is now the rear sits a little lower than the front with the blocks.
    -Scott /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ORD sells a shackle flip kit that gives 2.5" of rear lift. No need to go with stiffer less flexy springs.

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

y'all that scary ford from last week that had pieces of cut leafspring being used ass lift blocks thats what I thought of when I read this thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I doubt it's taller than 2" though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is 2", but some Dodges and Fords come with 4" blocks from the factory.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had some wierd ass 2" bumpstop looking blovks on my truck, not sure if they were stock or not though

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    y'all that scary ford from last week that had pieces of cut leafspring being used ass lift blocks thats what I thought of when I read this thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

[/ QUOTE ] he came by last night, drove the truck on the street the other day. my draw dropped. His spindle nut loosened up and death wobbled like mad. On that thing my heart skipped a beat. Hes going to remove that [darn] soon. I hope he keeps up to those words.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ORD sells a shackle flip kit that gives 2.5" of rear lift. No need to go with stiffer less flexy springs.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree, ORD Shackle flip in either 2.5' or 4" depending on your app. is a much better choice the blocks !!!!

14. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    some Dodges and Fords come with 4" blocks from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to school w/ a guy who has the stock 4" block in his dodge w/ another 3 inch block stacked on top...seems a little bit dangerous/retarded/ridiculous to me... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Heh..... I ALMOST did that back in the stupider days

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh, stacking blocks is easy... you just have to use couplers to hook the factory U-bolts to all-thread to lengthen them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A

17. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

If ord uses spring center pins on its zero rates,which is practically a 1" lift block, why not use longer spring center pins on blocks of 2" or more to keep them from spitting out.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

exactly the problem with promoting the ORD blocks as 'safe and proper'

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're especially safe when used with grade two centering pins. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    Karnak The Invincible sees a shackle flip in my future to go with my front lift springs (thanks DesertRat!)

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure. Good thing the missus wasn't around when you came by. She woulda had me load you up with just about everything else in the backyard if she had her way......... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif