Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so im buying a ford...kinda

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Mar 10, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

alright as some of you know the burb is now gonna be my trail rig...i have a trailer but now no truck to pull it with...a buddy af mine has a mid 80s f350 4wd with a dana 70 and 456s...the truck also has a 4spd and a stong running 460...this truck should pull my trailer with the burb well...well after some negation and some parts exchange end the end im only gonna end up paying 400 for the truck...i dont want i for but for that price i can go wrong...it needs a heater core (comes with it just needs to be installed),a fresh coat of paint and the grille installed...i thinks its a preety good deal concider all im trading him is a used crate motor and a blazer body and frame (the body and frame was his cousins and he is stationed in iraq)...any way thats gonna be my tow rig...gonna get horrible gas mileage but its prolly around the same as the burb got at 9 mpg....

2. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I towed my truck with a F350, 460, 4x4, 4-speed. I got about 8 MPG. That was back in the days of $1.50 gas. It used to cost me $180 to go to Richmond and back. 460s are great tow motors. Great low end toque.

I hope it has duel tanks.:D

3. twoslo4five0

i dont think it has duel tanks...my all time dream would be to have a dodge with a cummins but that is gonna be a lil ways down the road...

4. twoslo4five0

no one has an opinion if i should buy this or not to be a tow rig???

5. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

Well a buddy of mines uncle has one that he has used for quite some time now he's a real big ford guy.(thats all he owns) and he swears by the 460 and it I have rode around with him when he's pullin a big trailer and nothing really phased that motor (he has 3 or 4 just lying around) it had 312,000 miles on it when it finally blew a head gasket but it still runs. It gets bad gas mileage actually really bad but it is very very strong. Id say for pullin it should be perfect.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Does it have TTB or a D60?

7. twoslo4five0

it has the wishbone suspention...

8. twoslo4five0

so i drove the truck today and the 460 pulled like a champ that thing definitly has some gear and torque....amde my burb feel like a 4 cyl...thing ran great but he has decided he wants $$$ for it now so i gotta come up with 1400 bucks to buy it with...anyone need any parts???

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if it has not got leaf springs and has coils its not a f350. and it will have a dana 50 frt end. and that is a 44 gutts with 60 outers. thay suck for tire wear . if you need a alignment and thay say camber kits go get a add a leaf kit for the front end and smack it in. 90% of the time it brings the work springs back in to specs and gives a bit more hight to the front. it will cost a bit more at first but it wont make it ride much harder as thay are tapered leafs.

oh ya and its a FORD THAY DID CIRCLE THE PROBLEM FROM THE FACTORY.

10. twoslo4five0

i know its a ford but its convenient to me right now...its a 350 single wheels with leaves...tire were im not really to worried about it might se 5 or 6 thousand miles a year...just really for pulling my trailer when i need it...

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thats cool. just wanted to give some front end spoters info to a ford newby.

12. twoslo4five0

im a newby to ford trucks but not to mustangs....im doing nothing to the truck putting as lil money in it as i can...hope fully in a couple years i will be able to afford a dodge with a cummins...but thats just a dream