Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I'm getting ready to build...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Aug 12, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So I\'m getting ready to build...

a front bumper. I need to put a reciever hitch in the front of the blazer. I'm trying to figure out how to do it nice and clean and neat looking.
    It's going to be similar to the rear bumper :

[​IMG]

Only, instead of completely straight, the sides will be angled back some. I won't have any lights mounted inside the bumper like the rear has.
    I'm trying to figure out how to put the reciever in and it still look good and clean while being able to access the pin. On the rear bumper, the reciever sticks out a little bit. I don't want it to stick out on the front (Hello...shovel!).
    Any ideas?
    The bumper will be about 4" wide.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

Re: So I\'m getting ready to build...

what ever you do don't build it the same way you built yer rear tire carrier /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif j/k

3. muddin4fun

LOL!

No, I fissed that /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It are'em strong like ox! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My front and back bumpers are identicle and have the receiver flush mounted. The pin sits behind and beween the frame rails where it can still be reached but then again I'm a about a foot higher than yours so less likely to get stuck in a position that I don't have access. What I would do in your case is make a hitch with a D ring that can be inserted into the receiver before you get too deep in mud, then you can hook it up without trouble and have it removed for street.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am in the same situation. This is what I am planning on doing. Buy the same receiver box that I put on my rear bumper that measures 6 1/4" My bumper is made out of 3x4 box tubing and the hole for the pin is directly in the middle of the tubing. I am planning on cutting a hole through the front bumper and welding the receiver box inside/through the bumper. There will only about 3/4" of receiver box sticking out the front of the bumper. To solve the pin issue, that will be unable to access since the hole for the pin will be in the middle of the bumper, I am going to re-drill a hole for the pin to go through and then make a receiver to slip in the box with a ball on it that is long enough to catch the hole I will re-drill in the receiver box. I will also drill a second hole that will be able to catch the hole position of the rear receiver box. My plan is also to make a receiver that will have a tow hook and/or d-ring of some type that will be able to be mounted in the front and rear boxes. Also, I might be able to buy a longer receiver box and the pin issue might not be a problem, on't know quite yet because there are a couple of boxes at the trailer parts store. Whew!! Hope ya got all that, its all planned out in my head but confusing when I try to explain it.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

does the pin have to be horizontal?
    a drop in from the top one would be nice

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

I don't see why the pin would have to be horozontal... and if you did make it vertical and you lost the clip that goes to the pin you wouldn't be completely SOL.

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Except that every aftermarket attachment for the receivers is made for the pin to be horizontal.

Mike

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school

True, but if your making the reciever then why not just go ahead and make the attachments too. We used to make them in the machine shop/welding class at school and then sell them off for cheap. Good way to make some $$ and get a grade /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

10. muddin4fun

Yeah...dat would be solved by a drill /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

One that drops in from the top or bottom would be nice, but my bumper is going to be very very close to the body.

Maybe move where the pin goes in farther back? But then again, if I'm wedged on a rock, I might not be able to access it. But then maybe that would be a case where I'd have to yank it backwards first.../forums/images/icons/confused.gif