Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so im getting this 68 chevy c-60 truck..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 22, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

actually, it's been awhile since i needed this info myself, but i think you are ok with the 24k rating,,,it's when you get to 26,001 and above you need the CDL.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its 16k and above in IL that requires C or L license

on back of class D license it states: Single Veh GVWR 16000 or Less Except Cycles

i forgot what the C and L letters designate, hmm

if i was driving for a farm or something like that then i wouldnt need it,

but i need to get one anyways,

ill have to look it up again, hmmm

thanks

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Interesting,,,interesting that each individual state, can override the federal national governments standards. Anyhoo, i didn't know this, may be a way of re-registering it with a lower GVWR? informing them or whatever that it is for personal street use and will never see that much weight? :dunno:

Just trying to throw out some ideas, or what ever. :D

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

C60s RULE!!!! ......that is all.

I was able to drive mine ('64 C60 w/19,500 GVW) on a standard CA license.

Mine came with a 327SBC (that turned out to actually be a 396BBC!) :thumb:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

C60??

I drove a C60 dump truck --a 1971 if I remember right!..it had a 366 V8 and a 5 speed tranny,with a 3 speed "brownie" auxillary tranny behind the 5 speed!..I only used the "main" tranny,only got to "play" with the auxillary tranny off road in the pits..it had some SERIOUS gear reduction when the auxillary tranny was in 1st gear!..and I found out if you put both tranny's in reverse--it went forward!--but VERY slowly,since reverse was lower than first gear was in both tranny's!...

I felt I could pull ANYTHING with that truck,including a house off its foundation!....I drove it mostly to plow the place it was parked at..it was too loose in the front end to take on the highway,(kingpins were junk,it would start death wobbling at 40+mph! :eek1: )--we used it mostly to plow and haul scrap from the junkyard to a scrap dealer 3 miles away...had WAY more weight in it than it was ever intended to have in it,yet in never failed us once!

Sounds like your truck might make a good ramp truck,or tow truck if its wheelbase is too short for a ramp..a fun project!.. :laugh:

Maybe you could make it into a "K" 60 !!--I've seen some C60 4x4's factory--the power company uses them for bucket trucks!..thats what I want --
    A K60!! :laugh:

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Semi trucks are rated for 80,000 pounds and the tags are very expensive. Some semi trucks that always haul light loads (like the guy with 3 normal size ski boats going to a dealer) can register their trucks for less gross weight so they can $$$ on the 80,000 pound registration. Maybe Illinois will do the same? My 7,000 pound trailer is registered for 8,000 or 10,000 pounds (can't remember for sure), but I can register it for 3,000 pounds also.

Maybe the only thing that may dictate a CDL for a C60 with a 24,000 lb rating is the fact that the truck is actually that large. Example - You can't register an 80,000 pound truck at 15,000 pounds and drive it with a Class D?

Hey Randy, why not just get a Class A license? You will never be without a job again... :D

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

LOL 327 to a 396 hell yeah! too bad this one an actualy SBC hehee

nice one haha!

i looke don SPID label on this oen and engine isnt evne listed at all on it and i have not been under hood of it and he says its a 327, or well he believes it is, and i guess it runs/sounds like a sbc to me, but i guess ya never know...

that would be funny, but im sure its 307 or 327(whatever was standard v8 in the 68 C-60 trucks= or something else would be on the label im sure

:P

tell me about the one you had/have, what you used it for what you did with it and all that good stuff ? what wheel base was it ? bed ?

a 64.. hmm that would be interesting, i once had a 53 6400, big sucker, 2 speed rear and all that stuff, it was a full blown twin cylinder hydraulic dump grain bed
    i was dumb and sold it,

thanks

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what is A ?

do we even have that class in IL ? never heard of it
    yeh you can get plates for lower GVRW in IL yeah, i could probably get 8k plates(for pickups) for it maybe, at least thats what i always do with my 1 ton duallies anyways, its about half the cost of full blown big truck plates.
    insurance is what kills ya,
    its crazy since its a commercial vehicle(or meant to be)

got any more info on this ?

thanks

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I have class A CDL. It's for any single or combination vehicle up to 80,000 pounds including air brakes. Just a basic semi truck license.

And what I mean by never without a job is that truck drivers are always needed. You can work for a company clear across the country from where you live.

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

24k gvw...... no lift laws on anything above 10k in NJ... throw some 53" michelins on that baby!!! :bow: :haha:

got any pics?

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

What are you planning on doing with it? Im just thinking, my dad has 3 or 4 7000 series GMC trucks sitting around. I've seen some people put a dually bed on them and install some nice tool boxes under the bed, b/t the cab and the rear wheels. Some of them look pretty good.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh class for cdl ok, yeah, duh for me lol :P

yeh cdl would be great to have although now with how i am feeling(not as well as i used to) i dont think i could handle OTR all the time, id want to be local driving, or route delivering like with food distributor or auto parts distrib or something similar, instead of random OTR, i dont think i can follow maps very well and i dont think i could handle in traffic driving in a big rig, i dont know how ppl do it, its jst crazy to me, i dont like the idea of driving a full blown big rig, just is too much especialy these days, too much traffic and too many idiots out there on the roadways

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i really dont know, lol,. i dont evne know what im doing most of the time or why,.

thanks

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no pics yet have no digicam, may have pics in like a month possibly, dunno, 36mm and scanner..

10k lift law well thats in NJ, who knows what it is in IL or anywhere else, every state has its own rules laws etc.,

what one state claims is safe or not isnt the same as the next state claims,

its crazy,, random as hell,

obviously something is wrong with the whole system, flaws,
    same with fireworks, guns, you name it

doesnt make much sense, but we all live with it through it

thanks

16. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Got One

I've got 1969 C-50. Massive block 366 v-8, 5 yd dump. Starts first time everytime. Dump works great. Have put new brakes up front and need new shoes in the rear. Has air brakes. Has the same heavy rims/wheels. I used it for hauling telephone poles cut into 10 foot lengths. Now I'm not using it for anything but pulling out small trees in my yard. Got some rust and is 3 different colors, generally a Sanford special. Need to get an original Chevy grille as it has the GMC grille in it now. Mine was registered under 26000 GVW and didn't need a CDL.

Pics in order? :haha:

17. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 c70 for my business and it was real expensive to get a plate. IIRC around $1150.00 I have it registered for 45,000 combined weight (Flatbed truck GVW + Trailer GVW = gross combined weight) and the truck itself is 28,000 gvw. In AZ you need a class A for anything 26,001 & up GVW , even if you register it for less weight than that. something to think about, though it seems different where you are.

18. budweiser_man

budweiser_man Registered Member

does anyone have any pics of these 4x4?

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think they are 2 wheel drive trucks.

20. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ahh that is the flaw.... see I would convert it.. and 53's.... :bow:
    on rocks