Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So, I'm in the airport flight path....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, May 28, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

And I'm under the family truckster trying to figure out a funky little rattle. Our house is right in the local airport flight path and the planes fly right overhead. We got back early from Lake Berryessa since we had another engagement. I forgot that there is the annual Memorial Day event at the airport. From a ways off I hear this really loud low rumbling. I scoot out from under the rig just in time to see a huge lumbering B-17 bomber appear and slowly pass overhead. The majesty and history of this plane just takes my breath away. I was a 12 O'clock High fan on TV as a kid growing up and it has always been my favorite plane. As a history buff, I also recognize the tremendous roll this plane played in securing the freedoms we enjoy today. I am not ashamed to admit that I get a lump in my throat and tear up a bit every time I see this piece of history appear in the sky. One of these days I will fulfull my dream of flying in that grand old lady. For all you veterans, and those currently serving our country, you have my utmost respect. And for those that paid the ultimate price for the rest of us, my eternal gratitude. Remember, Memorial Day is just that. Enjoy the holiday, the BBQ, and the booze, but don't forget what the true meaning of the holiday stands for. :usaflag:

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kool, I was at the 100th anniversary of flight at Fort Bragg and was checking out a WWII Spitfire that had flown in, a B-17 started firing it engines about 100 ft away. Wow, smoke and noise!!! You'd thought it had Chevy radial engines!!! Anyway, shot video of him cranking up,taxing away then the spitfire fired up and taxied out...................so kool. Oh, the hosts were the Flying Tigers, my old Squadron!!! I had worn my old uniform from the late seventies, and the current members were pretty kool.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Air Force Thunderbirds were practicing at the Air Force Academy yesterday. I live about a half mile from the Academy border, so we get a GREAT show from the front porch. They'll be practicing again on Tuesday, then doing the big show for graduation on Wednesday. Yeehaaa!!!!!

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

bitchen love those old radial engines

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A few years ago I was coming back from a delivery and heard some very sexy noise coming from the sky. I threw my head out the window and looked up in time to see a B17 turning final for a stop at Deer Valley airoprt. It must have been stopping for some gas because there was nothing going on at that airport pertaining to vintage a/c.
    Out at Falcon Field in Mesa, the Confederate Air Force's Arizona Wing has a B17 (Sentimental Journey). The MVPA has a show out there each spring and the CAF allows free(!!) walk-throughs on it. If you ever get the chance to go through one I highly recommend it (even if there is a fee).
    Go here for some sweet vid/sound clips.