Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

...so im looking under my truck today...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noJeepshere, May 7, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

and found i DONT have a 205 or a 12bolt rear. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif my truck was originally a fleet vehickle with the heavy duty offroad pkg. but noo, not for this rig. meanwhile im looking at two trucks to buy for parts, a 79 gmc 3/4 with a dana 44 front, 12 or 14 bolt rear and a 383, or an 85 3/4 2wd with a 14 bolt rear and 454. both have 373 gears. what would be best, i do some rock crawling, some mud, but mostly trails and highways(i go to Moses Lake once a week in it. gas is cheaper there. 1.47 vs 1.59) gas mileage is not too much of a problem(no one ever bought a suburban for their amazing gas mileage) the 6 pot is just not cuttin it. and i want to put a 3.5 inch lift with 33s. any help? thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    and found i DONT have a 205 or a 12bolt rear. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif my truck was originally a fleet vehickle with the heavy duty offroad pkg. but noo, not for this rig. meanwhile im looking at two trucks to buy for parts, a 79 gmc 3/4 with a dana 44 front, 12 or 14 bolt rear and a 383, or an 85 3/4 2wd with a 14 bolt rear and 454. both have 373 gears. what would be best, i do some rock crawling, some mud, but mostly trails and highways(i go to Moses Lake once a week in it. gas is cheaper there. 1.47 vs 1.59) gas mileage is not too much of a problem(no one ever bought a suburban for their amazing gas mileage) the 6 pot is just not cuttin it. and i want to put a 3.5 inch lift with 33s. any help? thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure if the 79 3/4t has its original axles, the rear is a 14b. As to which one would be best... it depends on what you are going to swap out of it. If the engine is what you want, then ya go for that 85! If the axles/tcase are what you need than obviously you want the 79.

btw, if u dont have a 12b and 205.. what DO you have? that'd be useful info. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    j

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    heavy duty offroad pkg

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never heard of this package on any truck or k5 from that era.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

some trucks had the HD front suspension. This basically ment you got the same front suspension that the Diesels got to compensate for the weight. I have this on my truck. I think it basically means dual front shocks and heavier front springs.

5. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

if i dont have the 205 or 12 bolt, i have a 208 and a 12 bolt. i checked again and counted cover plate bolts and did some research. itsa 12b. imbad. concerning the heavy duty offroad pkg, i thought they would have something like that becuase mine has tow hooks and skid plates on the tank and tranny-tcase. for what i want to take off of these trucks is anyhting stronger than what i have. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif