Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So, I'm startin to fall for the Sami

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by TXsizeK5, Jul 16, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

So, I\'m startin to fall for the Sami

What do you guys think of a late 80's sami? Do they make lift kits for them? I saw one in action and damn! impressive , rarely got stuck b/c so light, yet pulled out a blazer with 38" hawgs!

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Re: So, I\'m startin to fall for the Sami

As long as you keep the blazer, go for it. You can get some ramps and drive the sammy up into the back of the blazer and drive it around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

They are pretty mean little truck with their 4cyl power. I know a couple guys that run them in the 4cyl stock class at the mud drags, and they all do pretty good. You can get some really good super low tcase gears for them too. Good luck!

Kris

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

for off road only ??? most for the ones i have seen get some toyota axels and a newer geo tracker moters More power cut some metal and get a good rig for low cost /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

hoo and put in a cage they fold up like a tin can /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

We used to run into a group of guys with some well built sammys at a wheln spot down here in Spring. A few of the guys put VW rabbit diesels in ‘em and if I remember right they run a shop out of that area doing the conversions. Out of anything with 4 wheels in the dirt out there, those sammys out wheeled just about all of ‘em.

Here’s a link to some zuk stuff I found a while back when I was kicking around the idea of buying one. I would have bought one but I couldn’t afford a new project back then….hell I still can’t.

Good luck if you get one.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

get on pirate4x4 and check out the zuk section. I've helped build them, wheeled in them, and seen them. They rock, but I wouldnt want to DD one. I like my street vehicles with a bit of power and stamina!!

7. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey derek ya talkin about daniels sami? man i've mudded his old one and i was impressed. i'm a fullsize person but man i like em. i drove it all the time cuss he didn't have a liscence so i had to drive him. man the drive is ok. got some power. easy to work on. replaced a clutch like it was nothing. 35lb tranny. lol. but their good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

jacob

p.s. keep the blazer.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Spring over, lincoln locked rear and 31s,maybe a set of 5:13's froma tracker. youd be surprised where that will take you. My buddy has one with a 2.8V6,T5,dana300, yota axles, yj springs all around and 33's. it will go anywhere, but its heavy, 3400 lbs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Here is the one I picked up this week.
    [​IMG]

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ehh, they are ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Personally I think in stock form they suck! Peole I know who off road them stock break them a lot. You can build them into a pretty good little rig as said in above posts for lots of $$$$$$. But its like someone putting a 350 and all GM running gear in a Jeep to make it trail worthy. Why go thru all that hassle when you can just drive and build the real thing........... A K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Because 1/2 ton axles are bulletproof under those things. You need to go 1 ton on a k5 to be as strong as the sammy on toy or 1/2 ton axles. They also get better gas milage, and tires are cheaper since you dont have to get anything bigger than 35s.

Dan

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im planning on running toy axles and 35's under the sammurai. I figure with dual lockers, power steering, 5:1 Low range and 5.71's in the diffs I should be able to run just about every trail in the desert. That way I can keep the K5 nice and dent free and trash the hell out of the samurai. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

But its like someone putting a 350 and all GM running gear in a Jeep to make it trail worthy. Why go thru all that hassle when you can just drive and build the real thing........... A K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Think about it boss, build a k5, put 1 ton axles under it, a big block maybe, older style transfer case, change this and that, cut fenders... before you know it, how much of it is a k5 anymore? Not quite so different is it?