Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so im thinking about rebiulding the 305...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 16, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

rather than junk it..ive thought about keeping it..rebiulding it..zand evetually drop it into my s-10. ive only rebiult one engine and that was a 3.5 hp briggs and straton /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..and even that was 2 years ago.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...but im wondering..what all would i need to take on this..an engine stand...which my dad has one..and what else? any good books with specs and stuff such as torq specs and all that!?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

me personally i wouldn't mess with a 305, just throught it to the dogs and get a 350, but this is not my motor or my truck soooo... engine stand, basic tools, torque wrench, and all i use is a haynes manual for the torque specs and oil clearance. i got my 350 rebuild kit from www.northernautoparts.com you will need some assembly lube and get some plastigage and have fun

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

305s are good for 2 things,

1. hella of a boat anchor
    2. planting 8 diffrent types of flowers

You are way farther ahead to just get a 350 core from a scrap yard and rebuild that. Rebuild kits for a 350 are cheaper then for a 305. But really Id vote for this
    http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?3=3169
    I just bought one and threw it in my 83, The motor has a 3 yr 50k mile warrenty and enough power to turn over the 35s with 3:08 gears, I am more then satisfied with that, and at 1200 how can you go wrong?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Don't rebuild a 305. You're going to regret that, I assure you. Build a healthy 350 at the least.

I have a couple of engine-building books, and by far the best one is Small Block Chevy Performance - Volume Two: 1982 and Later from S-A Design (written by John Baechtel). It goes through a full rebuild of an engine, going over block preparation, parts selection (very nice!), assembly, firing, and EVERYTHING in between. I think I got it from Jegs or Summit for about $15. For a novice engine-builder (like myself), you can't go wrong with a book like this.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If your looking for an engine to play with, I have a 350 4 bolt I would like to get rid of. It hasn't run since I bought the truck, but it turns over by hand. No carb or distributer. I tried to sell it for the core value, have had no takers. If you want to drive over for it, I'll take 50.00. Let me know asap. I need to junk truck. engine may go with it! got no room!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I was ever thinking of rebuilding a 305, I'd roll up a newspaper and hit myself in the head.

Repeat after me...
    I will not waste my money... I will not waste my money...

350 cores are CHEAP!

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

were abouts in NY are you? i would take it of ya in a second...but your probobly to far away for me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...well everyone seems ot be pretty much against the 305 ....are they really that gutless? ive never drivin a 305 powerd truck/car...just 350's..so i dont know..

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Heres an interesting link on the TBI 305 and performance enhancements. I would entertain rebuilding one. Has the same stroke as a 350 but smaller bores. This will give good bottom end torque, just dies out at higher RPM's. If its a TBI setup, might be worth it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The GM LO3 (TBI 305)

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

weell no..its an older 4 barrel engine..from my 84 blazer..id still likr to do it though just to run it..i mean the thing runs and everything.. only thing im concerned about is my s-10 is a TBI 4 cyl..im not sure what issues i would run into with the wireing harness.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Before I start ragging on the 305 I'll say some nice stuff. I spent a lot of time researching the 305 and even looked through my Dad's magazines that date to the early 80s. PS: back in the day Hot Rod was pretty cool.

You can rebuild just about any SBC for around $700 including machinework, 305 included. The 305 in stock form is a gutless wonder mainly due to the small bore and crappy heads with a less than stellar cam. You can install some flat tops, 262H cam, ARP it, port the heads, and end up with a 275hp motor if you're running headers and good tuning. That's the brick wall because the stock heads just aren't going to flow enough no matter how much you grind on them. That's still twice the horsepower stock. You don't lose much in torque with the 262H down low like you would think you would. At around 5800rpm it falls on its face because the heads just can't flow.

Now, that's still more than enough ponies to blow the doors off any stock 350.

But the problem is that if you ran the same stuff in a 350 you'd make more torque down low and peak at around 340hp/380ftlbs.

If you've got a 350 to put the money into I suggest you do that. I didn't have a spare 350 lying around when I needed a motor and no one would sell me a bare junkyard motor for under $150.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'm in Schenectady. let me know. That truck is at a friends house. If i don't get it out of tere soon, He won't BE a friend!!

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well this thing is free so..i think i just might go with it anyway..and its also mostly to learn from also..depnding on my budget( after my truck is of the road and im driving the s-10...and all the work is done on that) then i can focus on parting the rest of the blazer out..and start rebiulding the engine..ill probobly pep it up a little while im at it..

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what is it in a 4x4 or...?

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing wrong with dropping a 305 into a lighter vehicle.

No one here is wrong saying they are a crappy motor, not really deesigned for performance, but in a lighter vehicle (like an S10) it should be fairly interesting.

Draw the line at performance. If you want nothing more than a completely stock rebuild, then there is nothing wrong with a 305. However, if you expect to want a lot of power out of it, you are $$ ahead to start with a 350.

In the S10 case, you can use the 305 as the initial engine in the S10, and a couple years down the road, if you decide you want more power, the 350 will be an easy swap.