Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So ....Iraq

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hammermachine, Oct 3, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

So are things getting worse or what in Iraq. Regardless of the why or the politics involved, what do we do now? And the next few years?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We started it we are obligated to stay until it is somewhat stable or until the new Iraqi government is able to take care of things on their own. This is just my personal opinion and in no way should be construed as US policy:D .

Ira

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I want to have Iraq set themselves up and get the hell out as soon as we can just like everyone else, but what I don't understand is how we've been in Korea since 1950 and no one seems to care.

4. hammermachine

Well for the most part the South Koreans aren't blowing us and themselves up everyday. It's a stinking mess, and unfortunatly alot of lives are going to be lost before it gets any better.

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Exactly my point. That being so, why aren't people bitching about us getting our men and women out of there? Conversly, the job isn't done in Iraq, yet people bitch about it.

6. armyfiredawg

armyfiredawg Registered Member

Well heres my 2 cents

I have been there and served my year, and in that time i was able to see the hope and joy in the faces of iraqi's. I have seen there common drinkin water which was brown, go to a clear clean water. The media paints a ugly face on the war, but for the most part, we are doing good. You just never hear that side of the story. You don't hear about all the new schools being built. You don't hear about the dozens of new water treatment plants that were set up. Mind you this is a process, it won't take overnight. And neither did any other major conflict the world has ever engaged in. And as for the deaths, thats a joke. More people are killed in america in drunk driving accidents in a month than the death toll of american servicemen in a year. Plus, when i gave a oath when i enlisted, i knew full well that one day that could mean my life. Tell that to the victims of DUI accidents.

And thats my 2 cents

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm on my 2nd tour in the sandbox, doing my part by putting gas in the sky. I don't see anything other than sand, tarmac, and airplanes, but it's all in support of guys like armyfiredawg. You think Korea is bad? We still have a few bases in Germany, England, several in Japan and the Pacific rim (those were all from WW II). "Global Reach" bud, and that's what we need in order to respond to situations like Iraq so quickly. If you had your way and we pulled out of Korea, what preemptive action would be available to us if Korea presses onward with their nuclear program? Are we to just depend on Japan to save the world?

We are the greatest military power, and we need these bases to maintain that status. If we pull out from everything, we might as well stick our head in the sand and go back to the old adage of "Isolationism." Look where that got us, with our fashionably late entries in WW I and WW II.

The only thing I'm afraid of happening over here, is the liberal left getting into power and pulling chocks before we can even say we're almost there. This place will be more ****ed up than Germany, Korea, or Vietnam ever was.

8. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

I couldnt agree with you more man!! I am currently on my second deployment to Iraq and what i can see is like a night and day difference from what it looked like at the beginning of each deployment. When i got here my first deployment Jan 2003; the roads sucked, the neighboring town(balad) had next to no power, there were no water filtration plants in the area and i think there was a total of one school. That all changed in the year i was there, New schools were built that housed nice desks lots of books and classes full of greatfull kids, the town got to water filtration plants(small town too), the engineers built a high voltage distribution system to send power from the base to the town of Balad and many of the torn up roads were fixed. This year(got here feb 2006)im in another region of Iraq and it has been a year in between deployments. The brigade that i fall under just built two new roads for locals that pretty much cuts their travel times to and from work in half and we give a lot of our scrap metal to the locals. That doesnt seem like much but i talked to a few of the guys that come and pick the stuff up and they said they have almost doubled their monthly income since the base started to let them pick through our scrap/burn pit. I mainly do convoy security missions so i dont see a lot of the projects that get done but i am sure the list is getting longer by the week. I think any loss of life is bad but if we pull out of Iraq now before the mission is complete, the lives that have already been lost will have meant nothing in the end. We have started something that we need to finish in honor of our fallen brother and sisters. I just want to say that i dont feel any sorrow for any soldier that comes down on orders to be deployed and uses the excuse "i didnt sign up to go to war" or any other excuse because thats what the military is for. I am active army and i damn well know what my job is for, i just wish some of the other soldiers out there would realize that THEY signed the line and this is in their job discription!! ok im done rambling on now lol:haha:

just my 2 cents for the crowd
    pat

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Cain't argue with the soldiers on the ground...especially when they are the ones doing the job.:usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

We can't pull out till we finish. Ford had a commercial that I thought was great for this one reason...and we just need a politician to say this... "When you're in the middle of something, it ALWAYS looks like a failure." You can babble about losing it...but it's that kind of thinking that will make us lose. If we let these jack-offs talk about WW2 like this...we would have lost. Is it un-american to say things about Iraq either way? Nope...but expect someone to yell at you back...that's their freedom of speech as well.

We have to stay and finish the job, or else all those lives lost, including my Cousin and that wacko Sheehan's son, will all be for nothing.

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looking at it from a different point of view, we know who the civilians are who want peace...they voted for a democratic government. We know who the civilians are who support terror....they didn't vote.
    Pick up all those who voted and take them to a new city we could build (probebly cheaper than monies spent on arms so far) and blanket bomb the rest of the muthas.

Yeah yeah, I know it can't happen, and I know that's a really narrow minded view of it but I'm getting sick of these terrorist sympothisers.
    As soon as the police raid the home of a terror suspect here (read muslim) the rest of their 'community' get up in arms about it calling harrasment and racism.
    All the troops are doing a brilliant job out there and I support them fully but I so wish there was a way to bring them home sooner rather than later.
    While there is fanatics in the muslim world we will never get rid of suicide bombers, hi-jackers and insurgance fighters. I just wish the Iraq 'government' could start standing on it's own two feet without the West for support.
    I know I'm going to cop some flack for this, especially as I've never served but I've lost a couple of aquaintances out there, and that's enough to feel strongly about it.

11. hammermachine

Two cents....

I'm finally glad to hear the real deal from true heroes who have been there. THANK YOU for serving us and this great nation. Regardless of why we're over there instaed of finishing off Al Queta doesn't matter any more. We are there and we have lost brothers in arms (and sisters). So yeah I believe we must finish the job and do whatever needs to be done. I served from 1984 to 1994 when the reserves and the guard weren't taken seriously by anyone. I was called up during the Northridge Earthquake in 1994 and I know we made a huge difference to the people of LA. The problem is that everyone you see on TV has there own agenda, TV personilities and politaicans alike so they go with whatever flow they think is popular, not whats right.

12. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

Take it from me, all of us(soldiers) really appreciate the support that we are getting from good americans that stand by their own!! Hopefully the people that keep bashing the war will realize that its not making it any easier on us.......................if they concentrated on supporting the troops they would actually be making a difference for us.

pat

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

We are so caught focusing on Iraq as just a war there when it is just part of a larger puzzle in which we are fighting the islamofascists in what can be construed as nothing less than WW III. Until the politicians and the rest of the world realize this is what is really going on, our focus and sight will be narrow and not realistic.

John

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

first of all, mad props to you guys that have served in the sandbox. This Marine grunt salutes you!

Second, one of the greatest **** ups of late 20th century foriegn policy was cutting/running after Mogahdishu. That act was a HUGE boon to Al Queda recruiting. It told OBL's followers that they could beat the USA in a shooting war. What a **** up. At any rate, if we pulled out of the Iraq, and that government falls... it would be Somalia x eleventy billion. Seriously, whether you think we should have gone in or not... the obvious results of failure are simply unacceptable.

The media can spew all the lies it wants. The fact is, Saddam was a terrorist-supporting piece of human debris... did have WMD programs... broke the treaty he signed in 1992... and was a mass murderer of his own people. Anyone who thinks we should have just left him in charge of Iraq and ignored all that is one sick puppy... and clearly never lived in or saw a truly suppressed society. Its a disgusting thing, totalitarianism... and as bad as war is, millions of people living in that kind of system is worse. Anyone who studied the 20th century should know that free people everywhere should fight against those types of regimes where-ever they pop up.

j

15. hammermachine

Cut and run...

Yeah it would be major mistake to just cut and run. Look at what happened after Somila, and for those of you old enough to remember Beruit. I believe that we have alot of unfinished business that needs to be done. Mostly covertly, because the average american does not need to know more than that there are some very dedicated people killing some very bad people. The media is partly to blame but who watches them, if no one watched they would change the show. The news hasn't been the news since they have to fill 24 hrs of programing. You can't believe anyone 100%. Your boss, the government, the TV talking heads. You must make up your own minds.

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Obviously you're being sarcastic, but the nuclear card may have to be played in the not so distant future. Heck, look what it did for the Japanese!:doah: :haha: :haha:

John

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Instead of finishing Al Queda? Your kidding right?

We've killed more Al Queda in Iraq than Afghanistan anyday.... Who do you think started up the insurgency and has been it's backbone?

Only other place to go would be Pakistan, cuz thats certainly where OBL is.... Not something we're gonna do and jeopordize Musharaff's help... He really needs to go get him tho....

Syria and Iran? whole other topic there... It's gonna get worse before it gets better.. It will be a Holy War in the end, not of our choosing...

I'm mostly pissed that we went in there with our hacked up military of about 180,000, as opposed to the 500,000 we had in 91... You can thank any base-closing, military cutting, pacifist, grunt-hating, liberal weenie democrap for that... John Kerry and Kennedy come to mind... :mad:

Seems the Iraqi government is finally in the last couple weeks stepping up to the plate and instituting some policy and a plan... About friggin time....

The way I look at it is, the Iraq War, gave us a chance to kill many islamofascists looking for that fight with us.. They came from all over, and we sent them to Allah with a 50 cal between the eyes...

I'd be curious to know actual casualty numbers for the bad guys.. Not these bs numbers you here of x civilians being killed... I'm sure the numbers are high and probably 40 to 50 times as many as we've lost... I have a Sgt friend who was in on the initial Baghdad run and said they were just unloading the 50 cals on countless badguys.. :bow:

I just hope this country can show a backbone.... :( Thats very questionable... I blame the hippie era.... :mad: :haha:

Funny, I'm watching a show right now on the antiwar movement of WW2.. Gee, those asshats had the right idea... :rolleyes:

19. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Damn those skateboarder hippies. They brought Xanadu down on our heads. :D

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy gigantaic quote batman
    how bout taming that thing down a little?