Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So I've re-evaluated my build up plans...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

So I\'ve re-evaluated my build up plans...

So after a trip to the 'Con last weekend, I've made a few major decisions on the truck build up. My truck has been parked since January due to a flat cam lobe, wich lead to an un grindable crank that needed grinding, which is leading to a comeplete rebuild and bore...But hey, when I'm done I'll have a 407 Big Block.

Anyways, Riding in and wheelin a couple of the "Truggy" type trucks, (73K5Tony510 here and BayAreaWheeler from Pirate) thats what I'm shooting for. I originally had wanted to try to keep my truck streetable, but that has been tossed out the window in favor of a trailer queen. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've already started removing my front clip in prep for the tube front stuff. I just completely rebuilt my 3/4 ton D44, haven't even driven on it, and now I'm sellin it to start savin for a D60. I now no longer think I could make a D44 live with 38's. I also no longer think 38's are big enuff for what I want to do. Atleast 42's. Also learned that I do NOT want to have to fix a broken something in the middle of nowhere on 'Con, NO fun. I want to wheel, not wrench on the trail. I need full 1 ton to do what I want with minimal fear of breakin stuff. This will just prolong the truck being finished, but atleast I won't have to park it again for an extended period of time. I'll have a completely fresh 407 big block with too much HP, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Full 1 ton, and tube front/body of some kind. Let the re-birth begin! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Re: So I\'ve re-evaluated my build up plans...

That's how I felt after I wheeled one weekend and then started seeing other trails I wanted to do. I knew with my old set up I would need to upgrade quite a bit just to wheel with the 41s. So I thought instead of dumping all that money into my 1 ton stuff, go ahead and do the mog axle swap and 48s. I should be way ahead of the game, except on the wheeling experience part. Maybe I think to far ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Boy if there's one person that has the skills to build a buggy "from scratch" it's you.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Are you SURE that carving up your existing truck is the best way to get there? Do you have another truck around that can tow the "buggy" once it's finished? I won't bother asking if you already have a trailer....I expect I know the answer to that one!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The temptation is there to make a buggy by "removalence" of sheetmetal on the existing truck, and that will save some time initially, since you can re-use a lot of what's already there. BUT, if you start with a clean sheet of paper maybe you'll find that you can do something more interesting......like, what about building a tube frame out of ChroMo instead of DOM? I know you can TIG weld, and it will be lighter and stronger....maybe light and small enough that you don't HAVE to even use 1-Ton axles?? If you're building a buggy from scratch, you can make it dimensionally smaller than a K5 will ever be and make it fit into even tighter trails where even the K5 hybrids can't go....

If you can come up with a design where the weight is a lot lower, you can use 1/2-Ton stuff underneath which should be basically "free"....You won't need a 407BB for a rock crawler so you can use a mild 350 or even a V6. Add lots of gear reduction and you've really got something!

PLUS:

You've still got the original truck (with it's BBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) as the tow vehicle!!!

"If you don't have a tow rig and trailer, don't build something that belongs on a trailer and try to get away with it." - Stephen Watson 07/14/2003

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Boy if there's one person that has the skills to build a buggy "from scratch" it's you.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Are you SURE that carving up your existing truck is the best way to get there? Do you have another truck around that can tow the "buggy" once it's finished? I won't bother asking if you already have a trailer....I expect I know the answer to that one!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The temptation is there to make a buggy by "removalence" of sheetmetal on the existing truck, and that will save some time initially, since you can re-use a lot of what's already there. BUT, if you start with a clean sheet of paper maybe you'll find that you can do something more interesting......like, what about building a tube frame out of ChroMo instead of DOM? I know you can TIG weld, and it will be lighter and stronger....maybe light and small enough that you don't HAVE to even use 1-Ton axles?? If you're building a buggy from scratch, you can make it dimensionally smaller than a K5 will ever be and make it fit into even tighter trails where even the K5 hybrids can't go....

If you can come up with a design where the weight is a lot lower, you can use 1/2-Ton stuff underneath which should be basically "free"....You won't need a 407BB for a rock crawler so you can use a mild 350 or even a V6. Add lots of gear reduction and you've really got something!

PLUS:

You've still got the original truck (with it's BBC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) as the tow vehicle!!!

"If you don't have a tow rig and trailer, don't build something that belongs on a trailer and try to get away with it." - Stephen Watson 07/14/2003

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have a tow rig and trailer. The trailer was at Blazer Fest 3, so I don't know if ya remember it. 16' flat bed. And the tow rig is being purchased from my gramps. '83 GMC K2500 with a gutless 6.2 diese/465/208. He bought it new though, so I know alot about it. As for making my own buggy from scratch, I'm not that into it. It's more convient and it's, key word here, cheaper to build what I have. I can understand that it would be alot cooler and "interesting" to make something from scratch, and maybe one of these days I will. As for right now, I'm gonna have fun with the '76. And the motor thing, I know that once in awhile, I'm not gonna beable to resist the pull of the mud, so the HP is needed. lol, besides, big blocks are just cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm shootin for a look alittle more "refined" than Tony's truggy, Same idea though. Tony's Truggy is to damn butt ass ugly for me.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif No offense Tony. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

So once again the "VIRUS" rears its head and Bloody knuckle/empty wallet syndrome takes over /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

C'mon Joe.....

Don't chicken out. How about an all titanium frame, carbon fiber skins...and a target curb weight of 1500 Lbs????

now THAT would be cool! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    C'mon Joe.....

Don't chicken out. How about an all titanium frame, carbon fiber skins...and a target curb weight of 1500 Lbs????

now THAT would be cool! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell ya what-
    If you finance it, I'll build it.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So after a trip to the 'Con last weekend, I've made a few major decisions on the truck build up. My truck has been parked since January due to a flat cam lobe, wich lead to an un grindable crank that needed grinding, which is leading to a comeplete rebuild and bore...But hey, when I'm done I'll have a 407 Big Block.

Anyways, Riding in and wheelin a couple of the "Truggy" type trucks, (73K5Tony510 here and BayAreaWheeler from Pirate) thats what I'm shooting for. I originally had wanted to try to keep my truck streetable, but that has been tossed out the window in favor of a trailer queen. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've already started removing my front clip in prep for the tube front stuff. I just completely rebuilt my 3/4 ton D44, haven't even driven on it, and now I'm sellin it to start savin for a D60. I now no longer think I could make a D44 live with 38's. I also no longer think 38's are big enuff for what I want to do. Atleast 42's. Also learned that I do NOT want to have to fix a broken something in the middle of nowhere on 'Con, NO fun. I want to wheel, not wrench on the trail. I need full 1 ton to do what I want with minimal fear of breakin stuff. This will just prolong the truck being finished, but atleast I won't have to park it again for an extended period of time. I'll have a completely fresh 407 big block with too much HP, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Full 1 ton, and tube front/body of some kind. Let the re-birth begin! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    All that after just one trip to the CON.You must of really gotten bit by the "Truggy on 44s bug" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.Cant wait to get you on the Hammers this winter and see what that does to your imagination. Good Luck cant wait to see the out come. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 73k5tony510

73k5tony510 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Tony's Truggy is to damn butt ass ugly for me..

[/ QUOTE ] its not ugly its art.plus it kicks as on the trail.

10. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]

All that after just one trip to the CON.You must of really gotten bit by the "Truggy on 44s bug" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.Cant wait to get you on the Hammers this winter and see what that does to your imagination. Good Luck cant wait to see the out come. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitten by the bug is no frickin joke. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Either 42's or 44's. haven't decided on that yet. Hammers? Can't wait. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Its not ugly its art.plus it kicks as on the trail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I said that wrong...I didn't mean that it didn't kick ass on the trail. Your junk is pretty damn bad ass dude./forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif Remember me giggling like a little girl when we rode through the Tank Trap? lol! Big block+44's+Truggy=Nirvana!