Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So let's talk exhaust pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jun 24, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Doing my doubler, and so far, every time Stephen says "You may need to look at...", I've had to :haha:

Well, except body lift and tranny pan clearance, but I've only gotten the doubler within 6" of the floor so far :(

The passenger side exhaust is routed RIGHT where the '205 wants go ... truck has dual exhaust, but I think it's had custom bent stuff to replace the factory somewhere along the line.

So... my questions:

1. Can I do this myself, being handy, having a welder, but no bender? Or should I suck it up and pay a shop to do it? (I'm grimacing at the thought, as I'm already waaaaay over budget and eating Ramen until the first :) )

2. Can I use that flexible exhaust pipe stuff, or is thjat a JC-Whitney evil thing for hoopties that no respectable person would use?

3. I presume I would then get some pre-made 45's and 90's and straight lengths, and jiggy it together myself?

Somehow I don't think the pre-made kits are gonna work around a doubler, dontchaknow.

-- A

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'd either let an exhaust shop do it or buy some 45's and 90's and try it yourself. Deffinitely do not use the flexible exhaust pipes.

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

When I updated my 72s engine I wanted better flowing exhaust, but I didn't like the dual exhaust system some previous owner had installed, for the very reason you stated. It is too close to the transfer-case.

So, I had it replumbed with a cross-over to a single 3 inch. Works and sounds great! Of course this doesn't address your cash outlay concerns.

Also, I have never been a fan of the flexible exhaust tubing. Virtually all I have come acrross, leaked.

You may find that Flowmaster or some other exhaust manufacturer offers a pre-bent system for your application. You could use that and go the extra step of welding all the joints.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What I did on my old '79 was take it into the shop, piad them ~$100 to bend the pipe and hang it w/ clamps. I then took it home, pulled it down, cut it up, put an H-pipe crossover in it, and welded it all back up, and then hung it all back up as 1 peice.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

This is what I figgered.

I doubt they have one for a '74 with a doubler, is the problem :haha:

Local shop it is. Thanks all!

-- A

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

just a question, this kid is running those flex exhaust lines straight out of his manafolds into tips, whats wrong with them???

i knew they had to be too good to be true when he was putting them on, but whats wrong with them

lol just a tid bit of info, he is running them on a cadalena (spelling??) witha 455 in it, and he is also running a flame kit with them. lol intresting guy, wouldent know him if it wasant for auto tech class.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Piecing together an exhaust system isn't that hard and you get to put it exactly where you want it to go. Plan out your routing, figure how many 180's it will take to get there, and order at least one extra from JCW.

The simple trick to aligning all of the bits is to buy hose clamps to fit the exhaust tube and put some windows in the bands. Bridge the joins with the clamps. When you have the alignment you want, tack thru the windows. You'll loose a couple in the process, so have spares.
    Also recommend flanging the system so that you can pull it out in sections.