Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So many tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Aug 5, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I'm about to invest in some new mud tires. Looking in the 36" or 35" range. There are so many. I flipped through my old four wheelers, looked at all of the comparisons.
    These tires will be my second set, so they will only be used when I go out to play since my K5 is a daily driver. Got 10 bolts right now. Going to wait until I break something before I spring for lockers or gearing, that way I can spend my money on a decent set of axles.

So what are your opinions? Just go with boggers if I can find a good deal? Or would a set of mud terrains be better since I only have 300hp?

What about a set of the super swampers that are only 10" wide but I think 34" or 35" tall. That way I can spin them better since they are not as wide. The mud we hit is deep and everyone gets stuck unless you have 40" of tire.

I was dead set of a set of swampers but it is a lot of money to invest and not make a good choice.
    -Chris

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much on pavement will your truck see ??? Because my K5 see's atleast 70% on road use, and I wanted a aggressive off road tire, and couldn't afford both on and off road tires, I went with the Ground Hawg 2's. My off roading is mostly mud and muddy trails. I'm not into rocks.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If its going to be 70% DD duty then Id go with a BFG Mud Terrain and maybe even a Swamper SSR. Goodyear MTRs are also out there but I dont like how they do in the mud...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If your just going to be getting one set (or only will have one set) get MT/R's or something that is DD friendly... if it's only off-road, and maybe the ocasional run to the store, then maybe SSR's or TSL radials. If its off-road only, get TSL's, Boggers, Or IROKS /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I drive to work everyday in the K5, 25 miles each way. Already have a set of 33" A/T for that. I'm talking about finding a set of tires which will only be used to get to the trail, used on the trail then taken off after. Some of the trails we do are hard packed clay that you have to crawl over and also muscle your way up some steep stuff. Would a set of swampers do that well?

-Chris

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

it is pretty sad that the first three replies didn't even bother to read and comprehend that you are buying a set of tires strictly for play and have a set already for the street /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

i would say if these are going to be just for play, get the swampers, usually the bias are a little cheaper, a good bet is to keep your eye out for some slightly used ones as the price usually significantly drops once they are used /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

In your situation, I would look at IROKs.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah I'd said IROKS or boggers then.

9. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

if these are gonna be just a "second set", strictly for off-roading...I'd say don't even bother with radials. go ahead and get swampers...boggers or SX's. since you run mostly a lot of mud, I'd say the boggers. I'd think your motor can turn those 35's just fine, as long as you have the right gears. but I can't say for sure, I've never had boggers. I have 36" SX's, and I love them. they do great in mud, and pretty much all around.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Irok's....Your size is pretty reasonable too....

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get the lightest tire you can get with those 10 bolts... i'd recommend Iroks.

j

12. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I've shopped around a bit. Nothing good in the used market right now.

As far as new tires go, kind of a nice coincidence that some of the best prices are on the Irok's for the sizes I am looking for. I guess it makes my decision easier. The price I got was cheaper than ground hawgs or boggers but much more than any regular mud terrain. That is for the general sizes I have been looking at.

By the way, as far as a regular mud terrain you can get General mud terrains for super cheap. I ran them on my old Jeep and they were great, seemed to last forever. They did get packed up a bit in the dry mud stuff.

It's amazing how much tires really cost you. I'm looking at spending close to $700 for tires that I am only going to use on the weekends and which will also cost me more money in broken stuff on my truck. Maybe there is something wrong with us for taking up the hobby.

Hopefully I'll be posting Irok pics soon.

-Chris

13. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

irokkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

BOGGERS ARE SEXY bubt IRoks make me downright horny....

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    irokkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

BOGGERS ARE SEXY bubt IRoks make me downright horny....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Boggers are sexy, you are right.

16. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    It's amazing how much tires really cost you. I'm looking at spending close to $700 for tires that I am only going to use on the weekends and which will also cost me more money in broken stuff on my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, after taxes and all that crap I paid over $1000 for the tires I only use on wheelin trips... count yourself lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking at spending close to $700 for tires

[/ QUOTE ] I paid twice that for my tires, but I'm counting shipping in that price also.

18. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I'm just cheap with my money. Nothing worse than spending hard earned money. So I guess compared to some of you people $700 isn't much. Getting them local from a friend with a very small discount and no shipping charges. Also have access to mount them myself, so won't pay for that either.

Now, I just have to be prepared to replace my ten bolts when the break. I have been told it's not IF they will break but WHEN!!

-Chris

19. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

IROKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm just cheap with my money. Nothing worse than spending hard earned money. So I guess compared to some of you people $700 isn't much.

[/ QUOTE ]

its all about timing... 3-4 years ago, i could spend $1000 on tires... now $700 would kick my butt. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, I just have to be prepared to replace my ten bolts when the break. I have been told it's not IF they will break but WHEN!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well, iroks will help... esp if you run them with a light aluminum rim. For their size, Iroks are VERY light tires compared to other "hardcore" type meats... like Boggers, or TSLs, SXs, or hawgz... and that'll help reduce the frequency of breakage. Of course, the biggest factor will be the skinny pedal...

j