Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Mobil1 isn't good enough for you, eh?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Your first two links are the same thing. Good read! :D

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My personal experience w/ M1 is confined to gear lube. I do not like it. The trans lube came out looking like water and the synchros were shot. I seriously doubt the 295k on the truck has anything to do with it.
    The diff lube also came out looking like water. The diff bearings were toast. I seriously doubt the PO's peg-leg burnouts that snapped the spider gear pin retaining pin and allowed the spider gear pin to egg-out the bores it's supposed to register in had anything to do with the grit in the oil.

;)

Now, that being said, what has impressed me is the yota trans sitting on the garage floor. It was drained by it's PO prior to being pulled. It then sat for nearly 6 months b4 I got it. Not knowing it had been drained I pulled the plug. Some weird red stuff came out. Turns out it was Redline gear lube. Fast fwd over a year. It's still leaking gear lube out of the rear where the t/c used to be. I'm impressed as hell that this stuff is that clingy. It doesn't look or behave in the bottle any different from any other gear lube. Yet a year and a half later it's still dripping gear lube.

4. Can Can

:doah: :doah: :doah:

Thanks for pointing that out. It's all fixed up.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

It's cool if you like Mobil 1 Paul, just be sure to have your oil analyzed if you go beyond 3,000 miles on the oil..

also, on the oil life study results page, do you see the results for zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus? those are the oil's anti - scuff, and anti - wear compounds.. those go away next year for both gas and diesel oils because they produce metallic emissions upon combustion.. what bothers me is that the oil companies aren't exactly doing anything to replace those for you..

Did you scope out my vendor thread yet? you can see that we stacked up well against mobil one, and solved a bunch of other problems as well.

Tom

6. Can Can

Oh, I'm not picking a side in this one. I just like how all the "super" synthetic companies talk like Mobil1 is total crap. Finally we have some sort of legitimate "proof" that it's a pretty good product- good enough, at least, for your day to day driver that wants a little added protection.

FWIW, all of my trucks get the oil changed long before 3000 miles because of how little I drive them.

I saw that you're a vendor now, Tom. I'll have to check out your stuff. Are there any freebies for cool Mods from Canada?? :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

well, right off the top, the standard 5% club discount applies, and there's no hazmat fee to ship our stuff. I need to get more hats made, so I'll see if I can find one that fits all knowing supreme executive power wielding canadians. :D

Tom

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Nope Iits WM Tech 2000 syn all the way for me baby!

9. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

interesting

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

People change their oil?

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

you mean oil isnt good for life?

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mobile 1 is a great oil. It just doesn't have the life expectancy of a slightly more expensive synthetic like Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline.

One mistake I see they made.... they should have used a Nanofiber filter in conjuntion with the Mobile 1 instead of a Wix filter. Likely, the higher amounts of wear metals in the Mobile 1 would have been less with a more efficient filter, like what was used with the Amsoil interval run!

14. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I have never had a problem with Mobil 1, I personally prefer the Royal Purple, but it is pricey. I must also admit that I am not as religious as I should be on changing my oil, and the Royal Purple seems to hold up very well for those longer periods of use.

15. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

Just my .02 but i honestly think that ANY test can be manipulated in favor of the brand the testers prefer. That said i have always run penzoil, have never had a failure due to lubrication, and I maintain my trucks as well as the average joe. Sorry i dont buy into the hype of synthetics or oil additives or brand wars. Penzoil is what my dad uses thats what i use, i figure as long as its a major brand name and not some $0.30 a gallon generic oil im safe.

Balzer

16. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

It's too bad they didn't pick an oil that would prevent the high amounts of wear metals in the first place. :whistle:

17. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack, I just wanted to add to the discussion..

Well, tests indicating the presence of wear metals, contaminants, and viscosity swings should all be conducted by independent labs like staveley, blackstone, etc. if they are to have any credibility.. product data sheets from an oil manufacturer are useful, but only tell half the story..

vehicles driven on the street won't have a lubrication failure ( unless you forget the drain plug)..what you have is premature wear over time.. Some would call that a lubrication failure too I guess, just not a very dramatic one..

We deal with large off road fleets that beat their equipment nonstop, and have tried everything else out there..when they had 'lubrication failures', it meant serious downtime.. So we prevent the dramatic kaboom, and the slow death of engine wear.. best of both worlds.. BTW, did you know you can have a lubrication failure, without losing a drop of oil? it's true..

Well, you should at least be aware of changing oil specifications.. as of january 2007, the anti wear and anti scuff ingredients ZDDP, Phosphorus, and sulfur have been removed from gasoline & diesel vehicle oils for emissions reasons.. these ingredients produce metallic emissions, and poison emissions equipment.

be aware that when you see a label saying " blended to meet the tough new oil standards" all that means is that they are blending the oil the way they are mandated, and not doing anything special to protect your engine in the absence of these ingredients..

Some companies are dumping more moly into their blends, which can work, but moly is a metal too, so there are limits to how much they can dump in, and how much is enough?

I will leave it to the amsoil / RP / mobil one defenders to explain how their oils of choice do anything to make up for the loss of these ingredients..

We've solved the issue, but even if you never buy my stuff, please understand..oils are devolving into cheap commodities.. change your pennzoil at 2,000 miles, and if you are going to go longer, invest in oil analysis to see what's really going on in there..

18. Big91RustyBucket

Well Interesting write up you have there. Me personally I used Amsoil . I love the stuff. I have seen oil anayasis from the guy in my upline who uses it. The report was done by blackstone. Anyway's opinion's are like butthole's, we all have them and they all stink.

19. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Guys can use whatever they want, but oils are changing, and that's not my opinion..

20. Big91RustyBucket

That is the beauty of living in the USA.
    Doing what you want when you want. :)