Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So much for any extras this year !! I blew the motor in my Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 9, 2003.

The motor started knocking on the way home from work the other day and I took the pan off last night to check out the source of the knock and wasn't happy with what I found. A few rod caps had a lot of play in them, so I took the caps off to find thinned rod bearing, very thin. SOme were cracked and pieces missing too !! One was spun and of course there was scoring on the crank. One journal had a ridge between the rods and bad scoring.
    What do I do? I need the truck to drive to SC on next Thursday. I am thinking GM 350 4 bolt main crate motor is the way to go cuz of the warranty and GM name. I can get a long block for $1500 and $100 core charge. Autozone has a 350 4 bolt main long block minus all tin for $999 plus a $200 core. What do you guys think? I want it done right and need it done fast !!

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

don't feel too bad, i lost 3rd and 4th gear in my 700r4 yesterday. $1400 for a rebuild with heavy duty parts.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I strongly advise staying away from the mass remanufacturing places like Marshall and the like. I am have a nightmare with one right now........ No telling what you are getting...... It cost 100 bucks to have a new rocker stud pressed in that decided to come out after the engine was started the first time. The heads are also missmatched......Junk.

John

3. That is exactly what I am trying to stay away from !! I got to do it right the first time. I don't really have the money, but I gotta do it somehow. Prolly Visa !! I'll be in debt forever.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The GM crate motor is the best bargain when you consider what you get with your money. If I needed to buy something quick that is the route I would take.

5. I have been there done that one too !! Sorry for your bad luck too !! Guess we are partners in the bad luck club !!

6. Now if that damn money tree would start producing because I don't think I would make a good bank robber !!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If time wasn't a issue, I'd say get a crank kit. (New crankshaft, rods, pistons, + rebuild kit).

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

stay away from the auto zone setup, had a guy come into work asking me about my K5 said the auto zone engine he got had a bad valve spring or two, took him a couple months to get it ironed out right.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    That is exactly what I am trying to stay away from !! I got to do it right the first time. I don't really have the money, but I gotta do it somehow. Prolly Visa !! I'll be in debt forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Crate. I put a Crate in the 79 and it's a awsome running engine. It runs better then some relativly new Vortec motor trucks I have driven recently. You can buy it online and save tax but pay shipping or you can buy it at the dealer and pay tax. Personnaly I think your best shot of getting one in time would be Jegs unless the local dealer has one available or the local GM warhouse has them.

10. I heard the saem thing almost. His had four bad springs and a stud came loose too. Bad vibes on the autozone one.

11. I haven't seen what JEGs has yet, but the GM dealer here told me one day.

12. Well I bought the crate motor like you recommended. I went to JEGs and they priced it to me for $1370 and I would have had to drive 250 miles to get it or wait 4 or 5 days to have it delivered. Well I called my local GM dealer and told the parts manager what price I had gotten without a core charge and asked if he could come close. He actually shot me the figure of $1484 after taxes with no core charge /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. That saved me a 250 mile trip to JEGs and I can have it tommorrow !! P/N 10067353 Here are the specs from the JEGs site : Crate 350 4 bolt main !! Thanks for the /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Grim, your JEG's recommendation saved me $200 and no you can't have a cut of it !!

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

And notice you are getting all new parts for a mere $300 more than the cheap rebuild at the discount parts house /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I bought the crate motor like you recommended. I went to JEGs and they priced it to me for $1370 and I would have had to drive 250 miles to get it or wait 4 or 5 days to have it delivered. Well I called my local GM dealer and told the parts manager what price I had gotten witho
    ut a core charge and asked if he could come close. He actually shot me the figure of $1484 after taxes with no core charge /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. That saved me a 250 mile trip to JEGs and I can have it tommorrow !! P/N 10067353 Here are the specs from the JEGs site : Crate 350 4 bolt main !! Thanks for the /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Grim, your JEG's recommendation saved me $200 and no you can't have a cut of it !!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same one I have. I was getting ready to warn you abut a timming mark problem I ran into. I see they now put both locations on it. Go for the passengerside dipstick .WHY GM didn't do that all along I don't know. It is so much easier to get at.
    You will be happy with that engine. They run great.

15. Exactly and a piece of mind type warranty from GM !! 3 year 50K mile warranty !! And I get to keep my core so I learn how to build my next one !!

16. Now I am trying to figure out what gaskets to use on my stock intake and then I have header that were leaking pretty bad too !!! Should I get a new water pump or use the old one?

17. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    Intake and exhaust gaskets will all be the the same with that crate engine. Go ahead and get a new water pump...you can get a NEW water pump with lifetime warranty at Autozone for $21 or so. Tell them the application of all your current accesories that are going to bolt on to it.
    Blake

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Always a good idea to put a new water pump on, as well as radiator hoses, belts etc. It saves you from having to pull everything apart again. And yes all intake and exhauset gaskets are the same for the older non vortec motors. Just go tell them the year of your k5.

Dan