Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So... my cast iron SBC intake is worth big $$$

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Jan 23, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have an old cast iron hi-rise small block intake manifold, and the guy at the machine shop and a local drag racer were both wanting to buy it real bad, but also real cheap, so I didn't sell it. I did some searching and found out they are actually a high dollar intake. Woo-hoo for me. That is all for now.
    http://store.summitracing.com/defau...1&N=4294925239+4294839079+307646&autoview=sku

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my buddy who races latemodel circle track wants these for his smaller cars, he offered me $40 for the one off my truck. i guess some of the stock classes, you must run a stock intake, ad this is the best stock intake you can get.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm what would you want? (yep stock class circle track racing requiring a stock type steel manifold) My plan was to just cut all the baffles out of the plenum of a stock QJet manifold, kind of make it single plane.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It may also be in demand by the matching numbers resto crowd, so you get two different kinds of buyers.

5. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I bought an alum dual quad intake one time for $25,had no idea what it was for.Turned out it was for a 421 Pontiac,somekind of factory perf peice.Put it on E-bay and it brought $390.00.There was a restorer that bought it,said he had looked for years for one with the corect #'s.So it might be a good idea to find out the history of it before you think about selling it.

If it dont have a name on it like Edelbrock,Holley,Offenhauser,ect it probably is a factory peice.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I bought an Edelbrock SBC cross ram off a friend just cause it was cheep and I liked the way it looked.
    About 15 years later a friend who lives down near Edelbrock's main office asked if I still had it. Seems none other than Vic Edelbrock hisself was building a Vintage Racing '69 Camaro and while they still had the patterns it wasn't worth tooling up to machine it. I traded it to them for some parts a friend & I needed.
    Does that make me famous?:haha:

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Aw man, you should of had Vic sign them:D

8. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I ebay'ed some Big Block factory exhaust maniflods for $225 for the same reasons. Stock classes are looking for certain "best" part numbers.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One time, way back in the late 70’s, I had this friend of mine that moved furniture for a living. On one of his moves there was this lady that had a set of mag rims lying around in her garage, which had been left behind by here X-boy friend. She said he did not want them anymore, and that my friend could have them. My friend new I was a gear head, and owned a couple of muscle cars, so he asked me if I wanted to buy them. He brought them over to my house, and I looked at them. I was not too impressed with them at first because they where kind of dull and Grey looking, but I said I would buy them anyway for $10 a piece. After they sat around for a few months in my garage, I got around to looking at them one day a little closer. I realized these where an actual set of unpolished U.S. American Wheels pure magnesium rims. These rims where banned by the United States of America Department of Transportation back in the late 60’s because they where considered a severe fire hazard, and set of them where rare as “hens teeth”. I ended up turning around, and selling these set of rims for $1000.