Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So...my co-worker and I sorta got a guy fired today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We left the office at about 9 after loading all the points we needed into our controllers. Got to the Walgreen's that's in progress in my hometown at about 9:20, had to use a few different control points to get the curb and gutter construction staking done.

At about 1:00 I had to set a temporary control point and my Total Station near where the brick layers were working. I needed to shoot and stake an approach to the parking lot and all of the other lines were blocked by scaffolding or construction trailers. I set the point, put up a tripod, set three cones around the base and parked my work pickup next to it so nobody would mess with it.

30 seconds after I'd set up my $40,000 Trimble unit, I heard a backup beeper and thought nothing of it. I looked up and one of those beefy crab steer forklifts (forget what you call them) was about to back over my setup. I screamed and hollered but the driver didn't hear or see anything...including the pickup. He knocked over the total station and crunched the pickup bumper.

The total station wouldn't even turn on after that, the bumper and grille on my work pickup are smashed, and they fired the guy on the spot. I was pretty pissed but the guy losing his job? Insurance is gonna buy us a new total station and front end, they were hounding him to move faster...and I kinda feel bad. I might have been able to shoot all the points they needed for the day from my old setup but I wanted to get it totally done...and I pretty much cost the guy his job...:doah: The guy that fired him said something about how it could have been a person he backed over but wow, I feel like an ass.

This beer's for you forklift driver. I hope I see you again so I can apologize for the **** trip of a day you had.

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't feel sorry for him. If he can't see a pickup and cones on the ground, he is asleep at the wheel, or just plain dangerous.:mad: Your station could have been an oxy/acyl welding cart, or a portable fill station for equipment. I have close to 20 years exp running forklifts, and there is NO EXCUSE for what happened to your equipment, unless a ground guide purposely caused it.

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those forklifts have really bad blind spots behind them but that still is no excuse for backing over sh#t. I'm a heavy equipment operator and I actually had to get certified to run those. Most of the job sites I'am on they have some idiot running them and they are always running over stuff or knocking firehydrants over( seen it happen 6 or 7 times). Also because I'm a operator I realize how fast an easy it would be to run over somebody so you have to be really carefull all the time, even if your boss is yelling at you to hurry up. Dont feel to bad because it really was his fault and like the guys boss said it could have been you under the wheels of the forklift.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it wasn;t you fault bro.but its cool you feel bad. that don't happen much these days.i surely could have been worse for him.:D

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah...as much as I hate to admit it my first instinct was to dive for the robotic. As stupid as it sounds, it got drilled into my head the first day that this thing cost $47,000 when they bought it new a year ago, so don't you dare go and **** it up. I'm just lucky I hesitated and then realized what would happen if he kept backing up.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad Mikey, all of the engines I blew up last month cost around $750,000 total.

You could have been hurt. Not your fault.

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Details.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

ya no kiddin, damn man

tough break mikey. What he running a Lull or Extend a Boom type thing. I have run one of them yes, real bad blind spots but thats why you take your time and know your surroundings too. I wouldnt feel bad about it if I were you.

9. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

yeah i wouldn't feel bad i run a forklift in a busy warehouse for a living and my job is to not run over anybody or anything. i take full responsibilty of my surroundings and take the time to move things safely. if there are people or equipment in my way i need to take extra precautions or wait until they are in the clear

10. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

try not to let it get to ya a truck is a hard thing to hit, if his boss was close enough to hurry him and cared he would have told him to stop and not hurry its the boss's or who ever hurried the guys fault.

11. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You didn't get him fired--he got himself fired. He wasn't aware of his surroundings, hit your equipment = his fault. If you had thrown your equipment under his moving forklift, you might have something to feel bad about, but not with what you did (nothing).
    I operate a forklift on the dock occasionally and if I hit something it is MY fault PERIOD. I have people wanting me to do things faster at times like manouvering a semi through strange areas or backing it into similar areas, but you know what?? I don't give a flying **** whether I am going fast enough for them because it isn't them who is going to be responsible for the damages I create.
    He needed a different job anyways.

12. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

nicxe to see another surveyor on here. it happens, so when it does i just make sure that their compnat pays for it.

ive had kids trying to steal my stuff for years. lol