Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So my mechanic has a Cummins BT6 sitting out back...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Jun 8, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My mechanic has a Cummins BT6 sitting behind his shop, and when I heard about it, I kinda leaned over and looked at him with the kitten eyes that usually work so well... he looked at me and said "No, you can't put it in your Blazer!!"

I was so distraught - not that I'd actually have the means to do the swap right now - that he wouldn't allow me to put it in the truck. I asked for clarification, and he said I just wasn't allowed... he said he's never seen a chevy axle that could handle the weight of a Cummins... I told him I'd put a D60 in the front and 14FF int he rear, and it would stand up to it just fine... then I changed my mind and said I'd put Rockies on it. Finally, he just said I could do what I wanted, but he didn't want to have anything to do with it... meaning, he'd sell me the cummins, but he wouldn't put it in. DAMN...

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I would like to find a diesel and put in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4x4. I'm not really familiar with the different diesel engines and was wondering just what a BT6 is? What was that engine originally in? What about the CAT diesels that GM puts in Bob Trucks? Also, what about the V8 diesels that GM put in Bob trucks? My dad runs lots of Bob trucks in his business. Some have the CAT diesels and some have the V8 GM diesels. He says the CAT's don't have enough power so he likes the V8's better, but maybe the CATs would be lighter and would work in a smaller truck. I'm throwing that out with the idea that other Cummins diesels besides the ones that come in a DERDGE might work in a Chevy pickup. Just looking at engines other than the GM 6.2 or 6.5.

3. PhoenixZorn

The CAT should be putting out a ****ton more power than the V8... thats why Semis use inline engines... not Vs... it has nothing to do with the fact that a V8 has more cylinders, so therefore more power... there are 12 liter inline 6 diesels on the market, but they would shatter a 1 ton axle...

V8 Diesels are like a V6 gasser in a 3/4 ton pickup... it ain't workin... or it's working too hard...

My bad for saying BT6, it should have been 6BT, and it's the Dodge Cummins 5.9L I6 I think.... not sure on the sizes... but with all due respect to the power of the Cummins, how much heavier can it be than a 350 Cheby?

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

SBC 450 TO 500 lbs
    6bt cummins 1100 lbs'ish

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

My undertsanding of GM diesels is that they are a 2 stroke engine so they make twice as much power as any 4 stroke diesel but not necessarily twice as much torque. This also why GM diesels redline at a higher rpm than most other diesels.

someone with a better understanding of such things feel free to jump in, I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes....it is quite nice having a Cummins between the frame rails.... :p: :D

The 6BT weighs about 1K. A D60 will hold it fine. A 6BT wouldn't be much heavier than a BBC and heavy steel bumper with a winch on the front end like some guys are running.

8. PhoenixZorn

Would the D60 need to be built? or would stock hold it fine?

9. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Whats wrong with the d-max? Its a V8 diesel and a S!it load more HP and torque then i could ever need. Mine will pull a nice size trailer, run 13's in the 1/4 mile, and get 15 MPG around town and over 20 on the HWY. Not bad for never having to do more then "bolt on" or plug in goodies. Take a ride over to my place sometime and take a ride in it. It will change your mind about V8 Diesels for sure :)

10. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

a 6bt weighs 100ish. A 6.2 weighs 900ish fully loaded. Therefore if a 1/2 ton blazer can hold a 6.2 with no issues. Im sure an extra 200 pounds wont hurt. Now if you add a 1 ton axle and just put 1 or 2" taller springs in the front or a zero rate I am sure It would be perfect. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work.

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont remember who it was here that had this truck but it was the brown 80'ish crew cab with a cummins in it, full swap with a/c and everything. OMG I still have wet dreams about that truck. Oh and it was sold, dont remember to who either but OMG! that thing was freakin awesome!

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

y not a 4BT?

I think a better choice would be a 4BT Cummins out of a "P" series Bread truck...a four cylinder one had enough power to pull a huge box van full of weight(with the areodynamics of a brick!)..and last over 200,000 miles.. another plus is they came factory in chevy trucks (the "P" series) and will bolt to the same mounts as a gas V8,and have adapters to use a TH400 tranny,practically a bolt in swap--and much lighter than the 6BT version,and though not nearly as powerful,its still more than adequate,and will give better fuel economy than a 6 cylinder would...and no cobbing dodge parts into your GM truck ... :crazy:

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The old Detroits were 2 stroke. The GM 6.2, 6.5 and D-max are all 4 stroke.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If i was going for huge deisel power, Id get the Inline 6 Cummins in my Tender Truck, its a 400 i think, is what a guy told me, (89 Ford LTL 9000, with a Eaton Fuller 13 speed) or get a Cat 3208 V8 out of a Terragator :grin:

15. PhoenixZorn

Found a 4BT on ebay a few days ago... 68hp at 1800 rpm... that's not quite enough for me... then again... if all I need to do is plug in a performance chip to break 150hp and 300ftlbs, then I'm all for it... now to go find that motor again

Clicky

It's a bit on the steep side for price... heh... I could build 2 350s for that.

16. PhoenixZorn

17. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I'd put a Jeep part on my GM trucks before I'd bolt in Nissan stuff! :confused:

18. google

google 1/2 ton status

Think if you rented a tractor, swapped the motors and returned it.... they would notice in time??? Swap the drive train while your at it. Make a good trail rig for sure. Send the tractor back with some 33s and a 350.... they'll never know. I promise

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Thats not a 4bt. It says it in both the title and the description, and shows in the pictures that it is just a 4b, which means no turbo. There are also no performance chips for a 4bt, you dont just plug stuff into mechanical diesels, as there is no computer. The 6bt is the same way, as are many others.

20. PhoenixZorn

Joez, that's kind of my point.... why the hell would I pay almost $4000 for a non turbo 68hp diesel motor.... I think I'll look at the local yard... or call around...