Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so my mom asked me the other day...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Jun 22, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

rather than building a truck, why i didnt just buy a nice one that was already built. :doah:

two reasons for this...

i enjoy building something out of parts that are "nothing." front axle laying on the floor, trans and transfer case under the bench. ah, lets bolt it all together and have some fun.

and nobody builds a truck with heavy duty axles, and a wheelbase under 120". furthermore, the 88-98 trucks that i like come with IFS fronts, weaker and harder to lift than a leaf sprung suspension.

besides, what fun is just buying a truck? the biggest thing about something you build is the pride of knowing you did it, rather than some assembly line.

anybody else have someone question their motivations for building rather than buying?

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My wife; everytime I try and work on my '72.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Many sane people have questioned my motivation to build my own junk. The good news for me is, the voices in my head usually drown the nay sayers out.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The way I always looked at it is, I'd rather dump 15, 20 g's into something over 5 to 10 yrs and have it be badarse in the end. As opposed to something that costs more and is a POS in the end....

Everyone loves my truck and the damn thing is still running around on stock supension, they ain't seen nuthin yet.. :wink1:

The only people who look down on my truck probably are the clueless idiots running around in Escalades, etc... and you can imagine what their opinion means to me.... :haha:

[​IMG]

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Our main motivation is we ain't rich. And I have an nice set of tools.

6. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

My dad, Everytime i go to do a mod he will say "why do you want to go and mess up a good blazer?" Since when is lifting, locking and supercharging a blazer messing it up? All this time i thought i was just making it my own.:doah:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Everyone that I know. My dad put it best - "So your taking a $5000 truck, putting $10000 into it and making a $3000 truck". Yep.:D

8. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

now now do what they say and just buy the truck with crome and no go.;)

just kidding:wink1:

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

A new truck costs $40K and will soon be worth $10k "buy high/sell low". I know you have to be careful but there is the capability to go with an older truck and "buy low/sell high"

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

apparently, you havent seen the condition of my trucks when they leave my posession. its generally "buy low/sell scrap". when i buy a truck, i either use it for what a truck should be used for, use it for what build it for, or strip every usable part off of it and feed the bones to the crusher. only one truck has not met this fate, that's the '86 C10/K10 that ProJunkRacing has. even it got stripped of some of its better parts before i let go of it.

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

:haha: well like i said you have to be careful. In fact you almost have to intend to.

12. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My mom gets me all the time. she wanted to buy me a 2wd f*rd for my first vehicle. I prolly would not have spent as much money on my truck if she would have but I was dead set on getting a 4wd chevy and bought my truck without ever even seeing it. now she tells me constantly "if you would have let me buy you a good truck, you wouldnt have to spend so much time and money on that one." I reply with "yeah and I wouldnt ever have anything to do if it werent for my truck." when Im not working on it, playing with it, or using it to pick up chicks, Im bored out of my mind. and my dad would stop talking to me if I drove a f*rd.:D