Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So my truck breaks down in the middle of the intersection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTChevy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, I was headed to the mechanic to get my steering column looked at and i get to the turn of an intersection and the steering wheel "tilted" right into my lap. It locked up and all I could do was just run it to the curb to get it as far out of traffic as possible. Well rolled down windows in a bad sorta part to have it parked, (power windows), all the stuff taken outa my truck (by me so far, hopefully nothing else disappears) and a 60 dollar tow truck bill later i am here writing this. I was wondering if anybody would happen to have a tilt column for sale? Im thinking mine totally crapped out. Thanks guys in advance.

P.S. I sent my membership check last tuesday, when will it get to where it needs to go?

2. MTChevy

85 K10, if that makes a difference

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You can fix that, just need to take the wheel off with a puller, get past that damn snap ring, and then get a few more layers deeper to tighten the 3 reverse torx bolts that hold that steering wheel you mentioned onto the truck! :haha: Its a crappy sometimes pain in the a$$ job, but it'll fix the problem you have.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a steering colum from a 84 blazer with an automatic. Not sure how well it works, some of the wires were stripped when I got mad at taking the steering wheel off.

It's free (excluding shipping) if you want it... shipping will probably kill though

5. MTChevy

mines a manual, the only difference would be the hole where the shifter connects wouldnt it? If this column is shot i will get ahold of you 84GMC, thanks a lot. Nothing worked after the steering wheel assembly basically fell off, but the hazards still worked lol

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Fix what ya got. It's good practice, 'cause the thing is already busted - you can't make it any worse. And the fix is pretty simple.

7. MTChevy

its sounding good but the picture of the breakdown of the column scared me away!