Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So one of the things about 57" springs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Mar 3, 2003.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So one of the things about 57\" springs...

Is when you put them on the front, your approach angle will be screwed.

See...I've been planning on doing 57's in the front and 63's in the rear. But the spring hangers probably will get in the way. So, any thoughts on running rear lift springs for a Ford (the 57's) and rear lift springs for a chebby tahoe (63's)?
    I'm wondering how the flex would be affected.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: So one of the things about 57\" springs...

What about grinding the rivets off the front hangers and moving them forward about 4 inches, then run a longer shackle in the rear to make up the difference. The eye will still be under the bumper.

The stock centering pin is 23" from the front eye, the 57's are 25" from the front eye to the centering pin. You only need to make up 2 inches forward on the mount to put the axle back at its stock position. That would leave 32" from the centering pin back where a stock spring would only need 25" so you would need to make a shackle capable of spanning 7" and maintaining a small distance from the frame when completely flattened. It would probably need a 9" shackle and sit at a swept forward position. Definately an install deserving of limiting straps on each wheel!

I like going with the 4" forward, move the front axle forward 2" and then only need a 7" shackle in the back... more along the lines of what the 57's are known to use when fully cycling.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could also move the shackle assembly back a couple inches to get the shackle angle you want. Prolly wouldn't take more than an hour per side with the right tools.

I'm slowly getting to the point where I feel there is a practical limit to flex before it becomes more problematic than it's worth. Issues like stability, body clearance, shock locations and steering issues all come into play.

Even with stiff Rancho's up front and regular 57" rears I have yet to find a spot where I wished for or needed more flex than I have. Looking good on the ramp can really open up a pandora's box of other problems to deal with.

rene

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You can say that again!

I rather like having a stiff front end with a soft rear... or as Leiland would say... "We are still talking about trucks, right?"

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Also, the F150s are highly asymetric so the affect on the axle will be more dramatic when not at static height. For instance, if the passenger side droops, the spring bows into more and more of an inverted arch. The axle is in front of the center of the spring, so it will tend to rotate the pinion down more than a symetric spring.

6. muddin4fun

[ QUOTE ]
    So, any thoughts on running rear lift springs for a Ford (the 57's) and rear lift springs for a chebby tahoe (63's)?

[/ QUOTE ]

So...I'm wondering if this is a good idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm thinking that I'd get pretty good flex...without spring hangers hanging down

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you kept the 57" springs stock it would be way too soft in the front.

With that much flex you can't run a sway-bar and with springs that soft up front you would never want to drive it on the road.

I think that a 57" spring is a bit on the long side for a front spring. I think a spring that was about 2" longer on the back half only would be the best way to go. ORD should be able to set you up with a nice spring.

For the rear I would like to see someone run a stock 63" leaf but have a custom made 2nd leaf that was milatary wrapped. It shouldn't cost too much to get 2 leaves made...alot less than a custom pack.

The other option for a rig that flexes well is inboarded rear springs.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you go that route that'll be sweet! I just bought a set of 6" springs for the front and and gonna go with 57's in the rear. I decided I am not skilled enough to figure out how to do that set up.... you sure would get a lot of heads turning for sure. I have yet to see anyone out here do this. And you see a bit of everything up here with the Rubicon being so close and lots of things running around town....

9. muddin4fun

[ QUOTE ]
    If you kept the 57" springs stock it would be way too soft in the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking that some rear lift springs off of a ford would be a little bit stiffer...possibly alleviating that problem

10. muddin4fun

[ QUOTE ]
    If you go that route that'll be sweet! I just bought a set of 6" springs for the front and and gonna go with 57's in the rear. I decided I am not skilled enough to figure out how to do that set up.... you sure would get a lot of heads turning for sure. I have yet to see anyone out here do this. And you see a bit of everything up here with the Rubicon being so close and lots of things running around town....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to be different /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Prolly going to get myself in trouble /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For the rear I would like to see someone run a stock 63" leaf but have a custom made 2nd leaf that was milatary wrapped. It shouldn't cost too much to get 2 leaves made...alot less than a custom pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just threw (yeah lol...like it was easy) the 63's under my k15, and i dont think there is a need for a military wrap, those leafes are VERY stiff. and a full 2nd leaf may stiffen it up more. the beef on the first leaf makes it look quite invinceable. but, i havent wheel it yet...hasnt left the garage yet...just finished it up

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The only reason I'm planning on running 57's up front is because my front end is so light and I want a light spring rate. Basicly for my front sheetmetal, remove your whole front clip and place a trash can around the motor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats a Willy's front,LMAO

I'm planning on going with a combo of a longer shackle, lower front mount and moved forward.

I was gonna run rear 52's but i figure if I'm gonna move em, I might as well just do the 57's and get it good and soft.

-Jeremy
    "running 57's on a '55"

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you have the 3 leaf or the 4 leaf pack (not including the overload)?

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only reason I'm planning on running 57's up front is because my front end is so light and I want a light spring rate. Basicly for my front sheetmetal, remove your whole front clip and place a trash can around the motor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats a Willy's front,LMAO

I'm planning on going with a combo of a longer shackle, lower front mount and moved forward.

I was gonna run rear 52's but i figure if I'm gonna move em, I might as well just do the 57's and get it good and soft.

-Jeremy
    "running 57's on a '55"

[/ QUOTE ]

I love those willy's wagons.

I was going to use the 52" springs but then I decided like you if I am going to move the hanger go with longer but I chose the 56" stiffer spring, with a leave or 2 removed.

15. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

3...2wd...overload is flipped

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Damn!...and you still think they are too stiff!
    I have heard toyota guys say they were too soft with the 3 leaf.

I guess I'll just have to bolt them up and find out.

17. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i may be very, very wrong. i just slapped em on 3 days ago i finished, and the only tests have been chaining the truck down to the floor with a ratchet strap...

i'll keep you updated

RYan