Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So, Pauly wanted me to post this up here...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxPF, Oct 25, 2006.

1. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Apparently he has gotten axle lust when I showed him these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is that you ask? Nothing other than a 10 bolt FULL FLOATER :saweet: :bow:

I got this bare 10b housing from Pauly a while back. My buddy is using it in his full-width Jeep project. I got this crazy idea to make it a full floater, and the next thing I know my buddy (who happens to be a machinist and owns his own shop) makes himself a couple adapters to mount front spindles to the axles. We mount em up and weld em on, and the rest is history :D

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You answered my question in my thread . But now I want to know what is being done with the disc brakes ? Custom brackets , or the easier way of just slipping a stock front backing plate over the spindle . I see a six lug hub , so its a no brainer except for parking brake ( hydraulics can fail , driveshafts can break , but cables last many years ) :thumb:

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

paul the logic of hydrolics failing and cables lasting is a joke to me,

the cable on these trucks get used for 20 plus years BEFORE we even get the truck, then we lift it, put tire rim combos, tools, parts, bumpers and upgrades that add more weight and leverage..then we slide the bottom of out frames over dirt, rocks, etc.. not to mention alot of people also have the rust and salt corrosion factor..

new hydrolics, with hard or high pressure lines sound better to me, and if you ar in a situation to be tearing off hoses or hydrolics I doubt the traction or control is there to hold the truck stable or in postion anyways.

drive line breaks.. if a 1350 or 1410 drive line breaks and you are doing something hard enough to break that, be it a ledge or what ever, I also doubt your in a situation where an ebrake is a life saver..

only so many ways to say it but if your killing these parts im sure flops, accidents and roll overs are already part of your wheeling exeperiance...

personally I think the caddy e-brake is a joke for the cost and headache every one went through, that includes me to, never got then to work to my level of likeing and the next hopefull guy bought em only to have marginal liking of them.

as for the actual thread.... sweeeeeeeet for those who could do it or need it

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just wait Shawn , I actually hope you have a driveline failure or something just so I can say " See , you should of used a standard e-brake " .

Its simple , cheap , and works for what its intended for .............. stopping when the brakes fail , not for parking <------- thats why its called an emergency brake , for when there is no hydraulic pressure . Remember some of us have to drive our stuff to where we wheel .

Seriously . You and TJ kill me sometimes . Sure I go through trouble to get things done right , with lots of factory stuff , and lots of attention to things , to the point of being anal in peoples eyes . But you know what ? I have a reliable truck that is easy to repair with common stuff .

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I in no ways think its stupid or knocking the use of it,

I just have open eyes, its not a hoply grail to have a e-brake. if your brakes are not in reliable shape..that person whould be wheeling at that time anyways

im simply saying comparing a tiny 30 year old used and abused cable to a 700 dollar rear cv, drive line parking brake yaday yada bling bling set up is a joke, Id see that ebrake fail under stress before that driveshaft if done right.

your truck just broke a rear shaft, twisted a housing and killed a front ring and pinion..stock parts or reliablity only goes so far when your wheeling, if these parts are breaking I see no reason to put to much fate in a old factory cable put directly in harms way under your frame. maybe the next thing will be upgradeing a old cable with a new heat treated,4340 high tension mano braded space age donut glazing new metal line..

at that case, what good is that e-brake if your wheel falls off..oh wait better go full floater...oh dang now I dont have an e-brake. well better just put it back and have a wheel fall off when a axel brakes so I can keep my factory e-brake..

when does it end..

have it, want it, then run it, but I would not let a lack of e-brake keep my from a rear disk or full loater upgrade, and I sure wouldn't loose sleep or cancel a trip cause my e-brake is out of commision

i love your attention to detail when your wrench, I think its a big plus, this is just how I see it

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I like it.... I have thought of doing this several times. The only thing that has stopped me is that I think locking hubs wouldn't hold up for this application. And slugs would likely strip out w/ rough treatment.

Marv

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know a couple guys with full floating 44's with slugs and I havent seen them bust yet after 2 years of hard-core wheelin. They are buggy's though.

8. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

You will waste an axle long before you strip out the drive flanges. Thats why hard core guys use them instead of lockouts.

9. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Custom brackets. As for the rest, we haven't decided yet. Were probably gonna use Wilwood calipers and an Airheart mechanical caliper for the e-brake, but thats not set in stone. It's mainly up to my buddy - it's his ride after all :D