Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So some trail stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So today conditions were perfect for some wheelin so you can guess what I did. :D Any way my friend went with me in his 93 YJ. We were doing all the easy stuff when we see another very modified Rubicon and a Suki out wheelin too, so we stopped to say hello. They told us about some sweet water holes/ mud pits. So we followed them down to them. I didn't see the other guys go through the first whole because I manuvering around some trees so I didn't realize how deep it was. So I punched it and hit maybe 30-35ish on the aproche. So I was going a little too fast :crazy:. I hit the water hole, a wall of water comes over the truck, I can't see anything but I all I know is that my truck is in pretty deep and my engine is sputtering and it stalled out about 10-15ft from the end of the hole :rolleyes:. I look how deep I'm in and my rear axel is completely submerged and there was about 5 inches of rear tire visable. So I was glad I brought my chain with me to pull me out. (I know I should have tow straps but oh well too late now) Like an idiot I hooked the chain around my push bar and the guy in the modified Jeep tries to tow me out but my push bar breaks off or at least the top part any way.
    Broken Push Bar.jpg
    Oh well, nothing a welder and a BFH can't fix.

So I moved the chain down onto the leaf spring mount on the front of the frame, and the guy pulled me out no problem.
    Now here comes the fun part :rolleyes: I popped the hood and realized that the old stock air filter had the intake scoops basically pointing at the space between the fender and the frame where all the water sprays up from the tires, but it still beats the usual open element I usually run. Because I've learned that open elements + water = a stall out. Anyway no one had tools on them so my friend drove me back to my house to get a few things. The other guys that got me stuck in the first place must have split because I never saw them again. So I pulled out all the spark plugs and cycled the engine through, put them back in, sprayed gas down the carb with a make shift windex bottle with gas in it. The truck fired up and I love how muddy water was blowing out of my exhaust for a minute there. So I drove home and in doing damage control I found this:
    Its Bent.jpg
    My brand new spring hanger bent! :angry1: I just installed that about 2 weeks ago! This was a genuine GM part from LMC Truck, but I guess it beats the old rusted one that was about to give way into the gas tank.:crazy:

But hey if you didn't break it then you aren't having fun!

Broken Push Bar.jpg

Its Bent.jpg

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Wow, I've never seen that before. Did the part come in a GM bag, or was it an LMC special. You never know with LMC, sometimes you get real GM stuff ,sometimes quality aftermarket stuff, and somtimes just plain crap.

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Yea, same theory applies here when your buddy tells you the pull-broom is broken... :haha:

PREACH THE TRUTH MY MAN!!! :D

4. Chevy305

Yeah my truck doesn't brake quite the same anymore or well locks up a little easier ( I nearly rearended a bus:crazy:). Oh well this has happened before so maybe in a day or two it usually fixes itself. :doah:

But my engine has a lot of stumble and the throttle is heavier and it is not as smooth and it feels like its not up to its usual self. So I am going to rebuild my carb over April vacation and replace the intake manifold because it has a hairline crack in it causing a slight vacuum leak when the engine is cold.

Screw dealing with my tired 305, I should swap in a :bow: 572 :bow:

EDIT: The spring hanger had a genuine GM sticker on it when I got it. Also I wasn't real hard on the suspention. other than yesterday its been on the road only.

5. Chevy305

Pictures!

I got pictures from my friend's camera and well here is my stock Firebird air filter assembly and the air intakes endup right over where the water sprays into the engine compartment, and the air filter behind it was brand new when I went wheelin but look at it now:

Dirty Air filter.jpg

If you look at these that is me trying to pull out the spark plugs and the water hole behind my truck:

Truck Stuck 1.jpg
    Truck Stuck 2.jpg
    Truck Stuck 3.jpg
    Truck Stuck 4.jpg

I estimate that it was 3 1/2ft deep in the middle, and I hit it going to fast. Oh and that is my friend's Jeep in the background.

Dirty Air filter.jpg

Truck Stuck 1.jpg

Truck Stuck 2.jpg

Truck Stuck 3.jpg

Truck Stuck 4.jpg

6. Chevy305

[​IMG]

What do you guys think I should do about the spring hanger?