Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So Texas sucks huh ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Mar 12, 2007.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Look at he Okie death rates,,,ain't even hardly safe to drive there....:eek1:

WASHINGTON - Wyoming and Arkansas are the deadliest states for truck crashes, according to a safety group that called Monday for tougher federal regulation to reduce fatalities hovering above 100 a week nationwide for years.
    The safest states for truck crashes were Rhode Island and Massachusetts, based on the number of fatalities per 100,000 residents during 2005, the most recent year with complete figures.
    Seven years since its creation by Congress to improve the safety of trucks, the federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration "is still putting cargo over people," said Joan Claybrook, chair of Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways. "This federal agency has failed miserably."
    In 1999, when the agency was created, 5,380 people died in crashes with big trucks, Claybrook told a news conference by the Truck Safety Coalition. "That figure has barely budged." It was 5,212 in 2005.
    The agency's spokesman, Ian M. Grossman, was not immediately available to respond to the criticism.
    Speakers at the event called on the agency to reduce the hours that truckers are allowed to drive without rest, increase safety inspections of big trucks, require on-board electronic monitors to ensure compliance with hours-of-service rules, and train drivers better.
    The group said that in 2005 Wyoming had 6.09 deaths in big truck crashes per 100,000 residents, followed by Arkansas at 4.17, Oklahoma at 3.41, New Mexico at 3.27, Mississippi at 3.12, and West Virginia at 3.03.
    The safest state, Rhode Island, had 0.09 fatalities per 100,000 residents, followed by Massachusetts at 0.38, Connecticut at 0.48, District of Columbia at 0.54, Hawaii at 0.71, Alaska at 0.75, New York at 0.76, New Hampshire at 0.84 and Delaware at 0.95.
    The largest increases in truck fatality rates between 2004 and 2005 came in Oklahoma, South Carolina and Louisiana. The greatest drops were in Alabama, Indiana and South Dakota.
    "We spend millions of dollars on food safety. Nearly 61 people die from E.coli (infections) each year, which is equivalent to the four-day death toll from truck crashes," said Jacqueline Gillan, vice president of Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety. "Anytime there is an E.coli outbreak, the federal government uses every resource available to stop this public health threat. Yet, unsafe big rigs kill and maim tens of thousands each year because truckers are pushed to drive long hours under unsafe conditions while the federal response has been silence and indifference."
    Gillan and Claybrook criticized the motor carrier administration for increasing the number of hours a driver can operate a truck by 28 percent since 2003, up to as much as 88 hours over an eight-day tour of duty.
    ___

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"

Nice inflamatory, emotional type statement there. :rolleyes:

Riding in a big truck for at least a day ought to be a mandatory part of Driver's Education. What percentage of those accidents were actually due to truck driver error? Let's just blame it on the big rigs because we all know those guys are nothing but a bunch of hopped up Smokey and the Bandit cowboys running down the road drinkin Coors tallboys carrying loads of dinomite.

I'm not knocking your post, just the comment in the story.:thumb:

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Between the engineers that design our roads (read: monkeys w/ crayons on crank), and the Hickville drivers that learned to drive their sister in the same car they got their license in, this statistic does not surprise me.:doah:

John

4. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

worked around trucks for over 15 years,,,,Totally agree ;)

5. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

It's those hard a** bosses those truckers work for :wink1:

6. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You know it. I hear those guys are assholes.:D

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

me personally, I am getting tired of truck driver bashing, wherever it can be placed,,,,this is why, after of about 12 years of driving these large machines, trying my damndest to prevent from killing some idiot that thinks they believe in their shallow little minds, they NEED to be in front of that truck, just so they can turn just several hundred feet further.....:confused:

I have decided to do whatever it takes to get out of the industry....tired of the bullsh!t, tired of the government regulations getting more and more strict towards big rigs, and nothing really seems to be done towards the real cause of accidents,,,,,,too much comfort in these new cars, people not paying attention on the highways...

Example,,,,,,you're driving down the highway, out here the speed limit is 75,,,i could be rolling at 75-80mph easily, and STILL have people that feel the need to ride my ass to get me out of the way so they can do 90-100 WHY???....then as we're going down the road, something happenes up alittle ways, that the people paying attention see, and start slowing down for, well these IMPATIENT people, are in a little world of their own, don't see it right away, and then have to slam on the brakes, take evasive action, and alot of times end up causing some other crash,,,this in turn causes the people in the back to have to slam on THEIR brakes, instead of doing the normal gradual slow-down from the original incident, and well, most of the time, some trucks even though they WERE paying attention, and doing what they originally needed to do to get slowed and "SAFELY" stopped,,,,ends up running into the back of someone cause they can't slam on their brakes with 70,000-80,000lbs of weight under their tires....

Yeah, long winded, but makes a point

People just need to slow down alittle, be alittle more patient, alittle more corteous and alot more AWARE OF WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND THEM.

thank you,,, i have vented somewhat:D

8. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Not suprising with the idiot drivers around here

9. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

FWIW:

Being that I-40 runs through the heart of OK and the fact that truckers use I-40 to get to the west coast (from the east coast) ASAP, unfortunately those stats would make sense.

I noticed when I drove I-70 to the east coast from San Diego to Baltimore, MD that the truckers were more or less just above speed limit. But when I came back on I-40 those trucks were flying like a SOB!!
    A trucker a truck stop told me I-40 is used when the truck is empty and they want to get to the west coast fast.
    I fueled up in OK City.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Texas doesn't really "SUCK" actually New Mexico BLOWS, and this causes the air to be SUCKED from Arizona, removing the oxygen, and that's why most here can't think properly..:doah: :crazy: :D

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

As I was reading this I looked over at the TV and they were showing what was coming up on the news tonight..........Another trucker killed in a wreck. It is down right crazy how fast the trucks run around here. I just can not get used to a truck doing 75 mph on the highway. I guess it's cause I grew up in California where the trucks have always been limited to 55 mph as long as I could remember.
    Oh and yes people here in general are just bad drivers. You would think that if you flashed someone your brights they might catch a clue to dim their lights but not here. They must be to busy stuffing more chicken gizzards down their focking throats to to hit the dimmer switch......

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Where in CA you from?

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Humboldt county.........

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Aboot an hour or two from the OR border, right??

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

One night, one of the guys I used to work with hit a group of three trucks running 86. That was on one of our lovely two lane roads at that. Most of the truckers that we have problems with are not the OTR guys (with the main exception being Swift), but it's the local grain trucks and bull haulers. They will run at least 10-15 over, late at night I'll sit at a 4 way stop and watch 'em blow through the stop sign like it's not even there and some of them think they own the road. Unfortunately, our local drivers are usually the bottom of the barrell.................

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

From my house to Brookings was an hour and a half.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hell around here I have been driving at night doing like 70-75 on the freeway and one of those cattle trucks will fly past me like I'm sitting still.

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It's not like any of the trucks do 55........

19. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Problem in Oregon is that we get all the SoCal tuff heading down from Canada on I-5. I don't understand how we can get so many BC plated semis with goofballs behind the wheel. I love being stuck behind a driver in the left lane doing 67 "passing" another driver doing 65 while a mile long line of cars builds up behind.

I also get VERY PO'd when I see someone in a car cut off a semi that is merging or somthing worse like passing on the right. Semi vs car is allways a bad thing and I know that very often it is the passenger car drivers fault for not understanding what 80000 (or 105,500 here in OR) is like to drive.

The good news is that Schneider still has bright orange trucks so I can see them comming and avoid them. I also understand Swift also has a now policy - they only let new drivers have a trailer after driving a year without a jacknife incident:haha:

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No wonder I have been seeing less Swift trucks lately:haha: