Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So That is What 4WD is For.................

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Friday night, as you may have read, my patrol car began running like cow piss. I go into work this morning, tell the undersheriff, he mentioned warranty, I said I would write down a list for the dealership so by the time I get the car back, it should be pretty darn good for another 50K miles.......................... :D

So it was time to move to a backup vehicle for the day, even though Ford told me they couldn't see my car until tomorrow, I wasn't about to drive it around because I had a quarter tank of gas and I wasn't gonna top it off since the tank might get pulled, depending on the damage; so I had to chose from a 2000 CVPI that by God just still has it's titanium balls and our '98 or '99 Expedition that has been moved to snow duty. I figured that since winter's a coming, I better hope in it and get it stretched out.

Since I had nothing around town to do, I hopped in and after rolling down dirt roads that I never see, I headed out to a party spot to check it out. We'd been warned that our cars probably won't make it, so I figured now was a good time as any to find it.

Of course I went down the wrong road, but found a spot that looked good. Now if you have never driven an Expedition, they are not exactly tight on turning radius. And on top of that, if you are in sand, that u-turn becomes work. Nothing wild and definately anything that doesn't weigh as much as Rosie O'Donnell's ass and has some decent off road tires would have eaten this Romper Room stuff up quick, but got to test out the 4WD system to make sure everything worked and sure enough it did.

I guess the next time this thing sees hardcore duty will be a cold, winter's night with 14 feet of snow on the ground and 3-4 of us in it, we'll bump a little old school and hit the barrio throwing gang sign and see what we come up with.......................... :D :D :D

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Heh, around here, the local rescue squad and fire departments still use solid-axle Suburbans and K20's that they've chosen to keep upgraded and maintained rather than upgrade to today's IFS SUV's because they know like us that solid-axles are just plain better for any off-road duty, no matter how mild it is. And frankly, the off-highway terrain in my area demands a solid-axle instead of this IFS B.S. when the weather gets bad.

Wonder if any police departments and rescue sqads in this country have ever bought one of the new SUVs and had solid-axle-swap kits put on them before putting them into service?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You would think out in areas like you patrole that they'd have something set up for off road. I'm not talking anything major, just a SFA 4wd vehicle with a small lift and atleast a set of A/T tires.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ka-ching..............................