Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so the tranny almost fell out of my truck today... w/ carnage pics (HELP)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Aug 26, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

***EDIT*** new problem stated a couple posts down in the post w/ the pic. ***EDIT***

yep. started vibing really bad, so i stopped and hopped out and found that i'd lost a crossmember bolt/nut and the other 3 were loose. i hitch-hiked down to the parts store and picked up a replacement for the part that was missing and then limped down to the parts store and bought new bolts and locking nuts. still need to install the other three...

anyway, now at about 55-60 mph, when i let off of the fuel it vibes really bad. maybe it's just b/c i couldn't tighten the crossmember bolts perfectly? anyway, i gotta get out there and finish fixing it, but i wanted some input. my drivetrain: 6.2/465/205/14bff. also, my u-joint may not be in good shape, don't know. anyway, aside from getting those bolts tightened down to test the vibe (which was slightly there prior to this issue) what else might cause this problem? is there any chance that i may have damaged something b/c of what happened today?

thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd bet the c-member loosening up sent the u-joint past its limit... I just had one go last week and it did the decelerate vibe gig...

3. colbystephens

ok, i like the easy fix issue. :) thanks!

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Sounds like ujoint. No force being applied so it vibes.

5. colbystephens

this day is outta control. :) yeah, the bad vibes were most DEFINITELY a ujoint issue. check this out...

[​IMG]

that's the ujoint which attatches to the t-case. :haha::haha::haha: that sucka is in baaaad shape.

so here's my new problem: i drove it home in 2wheel drive w/ the 4hi engaged. when i would start from a stop, the front end got all squirrely on me. the truck was all over the road till i got up to about 10 mph - would this be a result of a bad tie rod? ball joints? i don't think it's a wheel bearing issue, b/c i shook the wheels pretty hard and there was no popping from the wheel and absolutely no excessive movement. as it is, the steering is rather loose. FWIW, i run a dana 44 from a 77 burb up front.

btw - if anyone know's the p/n off hand for this ujoint, that would be killer. i can look it up if not.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't know the # off hand but that squirrelly thing up front could be another bad u-joint. I'm not sure what truck you have but if it's a long bed with a carrier bearing make sure the yokes are in time.

7. colbystephens

i've got an 83 k5. i'll check the other u-joints. aside from obvious broken joints, like above, how can i check a ujoint?

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Usually I just try to move the drive shaft. You can also look for wear, missing needle retainers/caps and such.

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Unless the frontend was popping then its just the way a truck handles in frontwheel drive. I use to snap a rear drive shaft on my Cherokee all the time and drove 1000s of mile on the front end and it would smoke the tires and pull in all directions on take off.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So, is it safe to assume that after I told you those U-joints probably needed replacing you installed the driveshafts as they were anyways? :rolleyes: They're 1350's BTW...

Rene

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm a tad paranoid about the crossmember bolts now, I had that happen to me too. I double nut them now.

13. colbystephens

yeah. i think the loose tranny is what really put 'em over the edge tho. threw new ones in there last nite and its a ton smoother ride.

anyone have any thougts on the front wobble issue when engaged in front 2wheel drive, aside from ujoint issues?

14. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is most likely just a quirk of being in front wheel drive only. The truck is not really menat to hit that gear and thus not designed for that being the primary drive source.

I have had this happen many times with other trucks when in front wheel only.
    I say check everything out but you most likely will not find anything.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

normal DW?...

I drove a few of my trucks home in 4wd with the rear shaft out of the truck,and they all wobbled and shook under acceleration,I think its just the nature of the beast when only the front wheels are pulling...mine returned to normal as soon as the shaft was put back in...

I'd use 1/2" bolts on the crossmember--I popped and stretched several 3/8" bolts on my plow trucks,I'd always find one or more bolts sheared off and missing or loose every time I crawled under it to change the oil,etc..

After I put 1/2" bolts with locknuts in place of the 3/8" bolts,I noticed the truck felt "stiffer" and didn't pop and creak when flexed like it did before!..

I didn't even have to drill out the frame holes.which lead me to believe that probably 1/2" bolts should have been there all along,and the "slop" is probably what stretched and sheared off the 3/8" bolts..:crazy:

16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've driven mine several times in front wheel drive, even in stop/go traffic and as far as 100 mi. Drove like normal...

17. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Oh, and diesel, all the crossmembers I've ever worked on had 7/16 bolts. If you had 3/8, then you're right, too much slop.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm..

My truck also had a peice missing off both sides of the crossmember that bolted to the upper frame rail lip,which I assume only made it even more likely to flex, and pop or stretch the bolts!..never bothered to replace them,despite having a complete "spare" crossmember in my parts pile!..(the upper bolts SUCK to remove,and I think those brackets are RIVETED by GM to the crossmember--evidently someone had the tranny out before I bought it,and ditched the brackets!...:(

I never had any troubles after the 1/2" bolts were installed,even without those other brackets..but I wasn't using it to go rock crawling either!..:crazy:

19. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Ever try greasing the u-joints? The fitting looks awful dry.

Fwiw the front wobble is probably frozen axle joints.

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have a hell of a time loosing crossmember bolts. Finally I replaced what was left with brand new fasteners (went 1/2") and never had a problem since. Old fasteners that have been loosened and tightened a lot will never stay tight anymore.

Rene