Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So this guy has a 70 K5 and a 69 2500 pickup.... UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Jul 17, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

This guy wants $6500 for the 69 pickup, there is no rust on it anywhere anymore (he's a body shop owner) and instead the entire interior is covered in bedliner. It has a D60 rear end and either D44 or D60 front end, can't really tell due to never having seen either one up close. I like the truck, but he admitted that it is still a project truck, and is far from complete.

He then mentioned his 70 k5, and my ears perked up like a dog on point... I asked if I could see it, and followed him home. This thing looks bad ass!!! It's all hugger orange, including the American Racing wheels (which I'd end up swapping for wagon wheels anyway.) It also has no rust anywhere on it, and is also completely covered in bedliner on the inside because of the top off feature... the interior resoration was done about 4 years ago, and after close inspection, I couldn't find any rust. The rocker panels and bottom quarter of the doors are coated with "anti-rock rash" paint. It's got a TH400, lots of power, but the brakes go down to the floor... try coming to a stop from 50mph on a test drive... it takes way too long... at the least, it will require a brake job, a tune up, a good interior cleaning (the steering wheel is sticky from having a cover on it) and a couple of new pedals... (the go pedal on both trucks seems to be missing.)

I asked what he had into the truck and he said $7000-7500. His wife wants him to get rid of it, but yet he prices it as though it's all brand new work done on it. He wants $6500 for it... This isn't like a street seller either, I can't tell the guy it's going to take a good $2-3000 to get the thing road worthy again, since all he does is restore vehicles... In Wisconsin, this 70 K5 may very well be worth $6500, in mint condition, but this is far from mint...

What do you guys think about it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

good job on finding some cool trucks!

offer him what you're willing to pay. what else can you do? i know you sometimes feel offering a guy way under what he's asking, but the worst he can do is say no.

3. PhoenixZorn

bump...

If you were selling a 65 K20 pickup and a 70 K5 for $6500 each.... would you take $10000 for both?

4. uglytruck

uglytruck Registered Member

Offroad is right a vehicle over 10 years old is only worth what someone is willing to give them. you don't need to low ball him just offer what is fair and you can live with. Hope you get the deal your looking for.

5. PhoenixZorn

I have my wife interested in the '69 pickup (not a 65, my bad) and we are going to see the blazer later today, so hopefully she'll be interested in that too... I plan to offer the guy $10,000 for both trucks, and hopefully, the bank will give me the loan for them since they are classics. I fuggin love these trucks... and this woman I married. =)

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

A good rule of thumb is to never deal down from the asking price. Deal up from your lowest price you would offer him.

7. PhoenixZorn

Well, with an individual price of $6500 for each truck, I talked the guy down to $11,000 for both trucks, and he's going to finish the tailgate and patch up a chip in the paint on the 69 GMC for nothing... granted, I know he should be completing the trucks before I hand him cash anyway, but I was going to offer $10,000 and I'm quite happy paying eleven for them. The GMC is riding on a D44 and D60, and the K5 is riding on a D44 and 12 bolt for now. Both have 32" tires, and both need brake jobs from sitting for 4 years. All I need to do is get the bank to give me the money... I quoted Hagerty Classic Car Insurance at $580 a year for both trucks including roadside assistance for all of my vehicles... can't beat that with a stick for a guy who's buying 2 trucks that are 10 years older than he is. :rolleyes: There were cheaper plans available, which I may still go with, as I have the lowest possible options but still with full covereage on my "Modified" quote. Modified basically means I have two things that aren't stock in each truck. The bucket seats and 32" inch tires on the pickup, and the stereo I'll be installing and 32" tires on the K5.

So, I'll have some pics of the GMC in a few days for you guys, and hopefully in a few weeks, I'll have 2 gorgeous trucks in my driveway, and I'll be the envy of my repair shop. :D :D