Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So TWo people want to buy my K5....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, May 28, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Over the last two months I have had two people stop by because they had noticed my K5 sitting for an extended period of time and would like to buy it.

I told them both that I wanted no less than $10K and one of the two guys wanted to go for it and left his phone number if I wanted to do it. I never called him.

This sucks....I can't drive my K5 because I can't register it but I know that if I sold it I would regret it along with $10K not being nearly enough to build a new K5 to what mine is at, even with not making some of the costly mistakes I made with this truck.

Just if I could come up with a smog certificate and I could get it going again on the road (legally anyway).

I'd sure lke to get it legal again (without having to put a junk whimpy stock 350 back in) and dump a ton of cash in to it and completely finish it up so I would have something really sweet to tae out on Friday and saturday nights along with Jamborees and what not. Heck, all it needs is a paint job, interior job, a little wiring, and a couple of odds and ends.

So....my question is would you take the $10K and build up another K5 that is completely smog legal ( but knowing it can't be as hot as my current K5 motor wise) with less "stuff" because money would run out

or......hold out, deal with the smog headache and go ahead and finish the darned thing. but would have my high school truck still that I bought when I was 15 and have something that is "bigger and badder" than what I could build with the 10K.

:confused:

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

keep it, even if its completly impractical. you can never get back your first car/truck. you'll definatly regret it later on

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you really do like the Blazer and you have put a lot of time and effort in it over the years. It seems waste full to build another K5 to replace the existing one just to satisfy the smog inspection.
    Get as creative as you can with the motor/smog issues and drive it - that is my $.02 worth......
    Tom

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Regardless of whether you decide to keep it or sell it, it is the sellers responsibilty to supply the smog cert. upon sale of any vehicle in the state of California. So, this would mean you keep it and figure out how you're going to get it smogged. :thumb:

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

DUDE! SELL SELL SELL!!!! SELL!! Get a 75 and start over with another 400 :saweet: You could have 10 times the truck for 10k , NON SMOG with that money, or , pay off your cummins, good luck ;)

6. rjfguitar

There is no way that 10K could build a better truck. Between my stereo, tires/wheels, and motor there is 10K there. Plus Jake, finding an original 400 2 bolt block like mine is getting very hard. I had good help finding mine, i got to know the owner of a performance shop that specialized in engines and gave me a call when he got my current 400 in. It was an original bore 400 long block that was tired. He almost didn't let me take it when bought it from him because he hadn't seen one in a couple of years. Like me, he has a soft spot for 400's. :o

To make a long story short, I would just slap a Whipple supercharger on the stock TBI350 (I would only look for 87-91 K5's) and call it good. But......thats $3k right there with the blower and a decent exhaust.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  7. rjfguitar

I thought of that too, I would put it in writing that the buyer is fully aware of the smog issue and that I am selling the truck as parts, not a legal, ready to drive vehicle.

8. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

you need a friend in Washington ,outside city limits ,where there is no smogging :D that way you could "borrow" your friends truck on friday night

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmm... $10000...

el-cheapo beat up used chevy truck or K5 = $500

D60/ff14b + lockers = $2000

42" TSLs and steelies rims = $1700

decent 454 + th400 = $2000

Atlas t-case with bells and whistles = $2500

HAD 1410 long travel shafts = $1200

beer and pizza for while piecing things together with your homies = $100.

done.

j

10. rjfguitar

:grin: Um Jek, I would be building another K5 for me, not you. ;)

I would assemble something that I could cruise with on the weekends, take to shows, and take to the blazer Jamboree's for some light wheeling a few times a year. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't build a 1/2 ton show truck, but something fairly clean and nice, but not to nice to get a little dirty every once and a while. ;) Just an all around fun truck.

Lets see......
    $10K

$3,500 for a clean 89-91 K5 Silverado.

Whipple Supercharger (got to have some ponies baby!) with a nice exhaust, $3K

Eventually a built 700R4, $1,500.

3/4 ton axles, $500

Stereo, $2K

8" BDS lift ,$700????? Not real sure there.

Tires and wheels could vary greatly but the rims will be Welds, probably in the 16.5x12-14" flavor on 35x14.50 SSR's, 36x14.50 parnelli's, or like my current 35x16 boggers if I go 14's again. $3,000

Drivelines $500

Holy cow.......I'm already up to $15K :blush: :blush: I still have more stuff on my current K5...I guess I'll be getting this one smogged. :crazy:

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Simple: move out of Cali. ;)

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Dude, you can find trucks for sale built up already with 60s under there and everything for 10k. Hell, if the dude wants a k5 send him my way ;) if you dont want him . I know you could have something pre-smog with a sweet motor in it, (BBC) ,,etc etc,,that way you can actually drive the thing legaly,with whatever you want under the hood. Who cares about the automatic windows man, im talking about a non-regulated pure unadulturated BBC under a 73-75 . :grin: It would be worth it. :grin:

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

if thats your first truck dont sell it you will regret it, hell I regret letting my dad trade off my Explorer...It may have been a Ford but it was my first vehicle, something special about it. Thats why I havent sold my C10 or K10, ...im weird like that I get attached to vehicles and then they are like family, Im doing my best not to get attached to my Blazer, its worked so far...seeing as it runs like **** :crazy:

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Bobby, you know all the times weve went over this. NOW,,,your stuck with a k5 that cant be driven anywhere, ever, legally, if you did it mine or jeks way you coukd drive anywhere , with whatever motor you want ,pumped to the hilt, etc, pay around 250 a year for classic auto insurance for full coverage, and be on your happy way . ARRR , just my thoughts, i personally think yer crazy. 10k is alot of money :D

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

why not spring for a running motor of the right year and swap it in along with the smog stuff, once done swap everything back over. a lot of work, but not to entirely expensive. then save it for another project or year for smog.
    Grant

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

$10k? Damn dude, it's not even 1 ton.

I can't think of a K5 anywhere EVER that's worth $10k.
    [​IMG]

Certainly not that one. The hood is a different color than the rest of the truck dude! I'd say that truck is worth $6500- $7500 at most. And thats to the right person. A used truck is NEVER worth the sum of it's parts... You're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed. i have offered $3500 for my first 82 C10, the first street driven truck i had. the guy who owns it now paid $1200 for it, and hasnt done anything but maintnance. he says its too good of a truck to let go.

kidjethro is also right. a truck is not worth the sum of its parts, no matter how you cut the deck, you'll always lose. UNLESS you part it out, then you may have something. i'm actually to the point where i have broken even on my 86, and i still have a low milage 305, a hydro 465/205 sitting in the garage, along with boxes and boxes of misc parts.

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yes, the 8" BDS is bout $700 for the springs and front and rear box kits, i just bought it last week. im puttin on on memorial day. all i need is a steering arm and maybe drag link or pitman arm. they wanted like $1100 for the whole thing, damn. i know i saved at least $200 by goin out and gettin my own stuff.

i say keep your current truck. its been with you since day one. dont abandon it now, fix that dumb smog junk and cruise. sweet :k5: by the way

19. rjfguitar

Jake, I have no interest in anything that old. I want the convienences of the newer K5's and prefer power everything. I don't want a Rat motor either, I already have a nice small block.

I agree and am leaning that way myself.

too much work and too costly. I would have to buy a motor and try to get (and find the parts I have misplaced) the computer to work again. In the end I would probably have to go back and forth to the smog shop about 10 times until I had everything, thats a headache in it's own. Then I have to swap everything back again.....

First off, thanks for the complement. :(

Trucks go for different sums in different areas. Do you know all the details on my K5? I may not have some fancy cross over steering or a fancy locker but I have a stereo system that costs more than what most folks have in their front 60's here.

I told the guy I want at LEAST 10K, he said call him if I want to do it. A price has already been decided, if I wanted your help trying to figure out the blue book on my K5 I would have asked you. I asked what I should do. :) Oh, and you are definantly right that nothing is worth what it costs to build it, thats why 10K sounds about right since I have over 20K in it. ;)

I think thats what I am going to do. BAHA BLAZER sent me a PM to call him, he had some great advise for me and hopefully the K5 will have tags within a week or two. :laugh:

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Creature comphorts? ya dont have any power windows in that thing NOW man. I remember you said you had to stick and jamb pens and pencils in the ac vents just to keep them open!!! :confused: All these long disussions on how it was a total loss, etc etc, cut the losses etc etc. I just know what you COULD have for 10k. I have a feeling your really going to regret it man. Granted, your truck is all over mine, its just, you could use the money for sooo many other things.

Its your deal man, but if i were you i would sell it , find a clean first gen and put the sickest baddest motor in it you could build,something to the tune of 500 HP, 3/4 tons with upgraded shafts, ,etc,etc, and NO SMOG EVER. :)