Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So we have this antique refrigerator.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by justhorsinaround, Jul 29, 2006.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That still works and all. As a matter of fact it sometimes freezes what's on the bottom in the fridgerator part. My question is since it probably sucks down a lot of power how hard would it be to replace the guts with newer more efficient guts.

2. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

my dad would know but i have nooooooo idea:confused:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I can't remember the name but there is a company in Canada that has 50's retro refrigerators with modern internals.

4. justhorsinaround

Well at least that's a step in the right direction. Ask him and post up what he says?

5. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

my dad aint gonna be back home and probly wont talk to him until monday night sorry:doah:

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

7. justhorsinaround

Right idea. Our fridge is actually older but along the same lines.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Off topic:

Why is it REFRIGERATOR as spelled that way when the short word is FRIDGE and its spelled with the "D" in it? :confused: :doah:

9. justhorsinaround

It's just us quirky Americans messing with the English language a bit.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

so what era is it from? Is it a refigerator or an ice box?

11. justhorsinaround

An ice box wouldn't have any refrigeration stuff. Just a place to put the ice to keep everything nice and cool. By the way, if you have 7-11s your way they started out as places to by ice.

Anyway's it's from the forties. I'll take a picture tomorrow. The flash on our camera works really, really well and tends to make things overly bright.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's from the 40's, and still works. Don't mess with it. 'Nuff said. :)

Seriously, it's like the newer home washers and dryers. Enough time has passed since these appliances inception, everything that reduced cost (read: longevity) has been done to the new stuff, and it simply won't last as long as the old stuff. That's my opinion anyway.

"They don't build them like they used to!"

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

BIG CHILL: $2700 . Wow . Its obviously a new machine with old looking doors . I don't know how much it would cost to refurbish an old machine , but it would take numerous hours for custom work .

Almost all the fridges that old looking either were ammonia based , or r12 based with a static condenser ( no condenser fan , coils behind fridge ) and manual defrost .

Almost all the new ones have a condenser underneath ( or up top on built ins ) and automatic defrost .

Waste of money to make it like a new fridge inside in Allans case . I agree with Dorian to leave it alone .

Besides , I sell enough parts for new computer controlled machines to say older is better :D

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Look on the metal plate and see what the amp draw is. I doubt it draws enough amperage to justify the cost of any kind of conversion.

15. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Depending on how old the fridge is,,,It could be charged with methyl-chloride
    or sulpher dioxide or amonia. All very nasty things to breath,,,

Have a refrigeration shop take a look at it to determine what the thing is charged with before messing with it.

16. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

this is a little off topic but my dad has on old ice box from back when electricity was non exhistant.:eek1: its in pretty good shape too but he cleaned it out and put wire mesh in the doors so you can see in it and uses it to display some of is antique items.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old ones rock!..

I see many old ones being dumped at the landfill--one older guy I met there picking the pile over, restores them, and sells them as "retro" refigerators to yuppies who like the older ones good looks and nostalgia..I have no clue if he puts later innards in them,most likely not..he asked me to keep an eye out for any on the sides of the road,or on craigslist--always a lot of freebie ones on there!..

Some old ones are collectors items,and bring big money!--I once had a radio I found while cleaning a cellar out, that was a promotional item given to folks who bought a westinghouse refrigerator--it looked exactly like the refrigerator!..a collector gave me 100 bucks for it,and it only made static and clicking noises,and one knob was missing!..:D --might have been worth much more,but I didn't really care at the time--I also sold many old radios (the huge "Parlor" style ones) for cheep money too,when I needed space..not long after I looked up some of them online--they sell for 150-250 bucks!!:eek1: --I got 25-50 bucks for quite a few that still played perfectly..:doah:

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Ahh the good old days when Westinghouse was a division of General Motors ( and a Frigidaire brand ) . They are now owned by Electrolux ( along with Frigidaire , Gibson , Tappan and the rest of the White Consolidated appliance brands ) .