Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So what are concidered this generations "Hot Rods"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 8, 2002.

So what are concidered this generations \"Hot Rods\"?

And don't say imports! what are kids building today to go fast. i'm talkin cars here. gone are cheep 68 camaros and 70 chevelles. what is being hot rodded today? are there any affordable platforms that still have V8s? i see mid 80s to early 90s cameros as a posibility. the price on them are coming down. the old boxy looking mustangs. what else? i'm looking for ideas and don't want a "classic" muscle car cause clean affordable ones are out of reach.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: So what are concidered this generations \"Hot Rods\"?

I see Firebirds around here that look nice and seem to be pretty decent under the hood...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

2. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Well alot of the kids that i went to school with ran camaros. Those are the most popular AMERICAN "hot rods" among young people around here. (those damn hondas are taking over) The thing most kids are doing is building their own motors and dropping them in camaros or getting a corvette engine and dropping it in. Just try to score a camaro of llate 80's drop a motor iinto it, paint it and call it tommorows classic.And as far as chevelles well my ol man watched a guy trade off a brand new chevelle ss just because he got his ass kicked by a cheap ol plymouth. (true story my ol man wasted him in the 440-6)

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Monte's. mid 80's monte SS's are hot rides, when you work 'em up right.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

for the `kids of today' there is no hot rodding...for the rest of us, there's all the original hotrods, and go-fast cars. <a target="_blank" href=http://carsbybobby.ods.org:81>these are Rods done by my friends stepdad</a> and I think most f them qualify as teh most beautiful modern art around. most of these things, he'd build, then drive for a few weeks while he was building the next one, before showing, and selling them.

if he hadn't moved to Oregon, I'd have begged him to work in his shop, and learn the trade...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

mmm...I love belairs....*dreaming*

Oh! Uh...you can build a sweet 2nd gen camaro for not much money. Or, get a 3rd gen RS and build it up.
    You might be able to get a nova for pretty cheap, like a 4 dr. I think the 2 drs are higher priced. Also, lots of people are taking these 70's or 80's chevy short wides and lowering them and putting a monster motor in it and those are pretty sweet too! For, about 8K, you can buy a nice ext cab s-10, lower it a little and put a 350 in it and it's a really sweet truck! I know a guy who did that to an s-10 blazer. It's sweet! Not so many of those around. Just find something that has room for a v-8 that you like. It doesn't need to be the same thing the other guy is running. People who know what they're talking about will think it's sweet regardless if it's built right.

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Re: So what are concidered this generations

I have an 89 RS Camaro. I was lucky and found a nice one in almost showrrom shape for 3500 bucks.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/30169479/30169653rEhiqzvvtm>CLICKY FOR PIC</a>

If you are interested in third gen Camaros here is a great site for them just like this one.

http://thirdgen.org/

I am taking the 383 out of my Blazer and putting it in my Camaro with my tunnel ram and two 600 Edlebrocks. It is going to have my Super T-10 in it until I run across the 6 speed that can handle the power of the 383. The 5 speed in it will grenade with more than about 300 ft. lbs. of torque.

I like the Camaros because of their handling capabilities. I am interested in Pro-Touring myself. It all depends on what your interest are in either a hot rod or a street rod. If you are rich just get both.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd go for a late 80's early 90's camaro. There are plenty around here with great body's for about $2000-$4000 that you can build up pretty easily. When we get a house, I want to pick one up and start building it up.
    90's impala's and Caprice's are pretty cool too.Come to think of it, a 70's or 80's Impala or Caprice would be pretty cool built up right...

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd have to agree on personally liking the late 80s camaros, but around here, what's hot and easy to hop up is the 5.0 mustang. You can pick one up for about 3K, do upper and lower intake mods, exhaust, chip, and nitrous and still be under 5K and in the low 12s.

I also see a few late 80s S10 pickups out there. Very Cheap, drop in a hopped up 350/Th350/posi rear. Add some ladder bars, a custom driveshaft, and you're often under $5K there too. I see high 12, low 13 track times outta these.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

10. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

right now one of the cheapest "new hot rods" out there is the 87-93 50 mustangs. just can't beat the aftermarket that car has.
    as far as other options go try
    mid - late 80's monte carlo ss (or even the non ss)
    same years for grand prixs too
    2nd gen f bods can be had cheaply
    3rd gen f bods (i prefer the 87-92 tpi 350's)
    buik grand national or t type ( iknow it's not a v8, but dam* they can go fast cheaply)
    4th gen f bod (93 and 94's have been as low as $5-6K)

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

truthfully, since I'm stupid, I'm looking for a Geo Metro, and a caddilac Eldorado, and a lot of welding. I figgure taking the lightest econobox ever built, and slapping the biggest GM production V8 engine ever made into one little speedster super fast kill-yourself-faster-then-ever with a zero to 60 speed of 2.2 seconds... or something...

also, I'm really solidly considering getting an older car of anysort, (pre 67, so I don't have to deal with emissions, or smog tests) and dropping the 454 from my 77 C20 into it, and making it a sleeper... just a grandma moses crapbucket, with my 300 HP, 540 Ft/lbs 454 in it...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

12. Re: So what are concidered this generations \"Hot Rods\"?

third gens seem to be the general concensus. best all around bang for the buck. good handling, a V8 and a large aftermarket.

i'd really dig an S10. keep it stock on the outside and go totally stealth. only thing i don't like is the cramped engine compartment with a 350 in there.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

13. Re: So what are concidered this generations

have you heard that they are stuffing 5.0s into the Ford Focus! talk about stealth!

</font color=blue>

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Heck, what I really would get if I could would be a TYPHOON..........you talk about a manster...........wow. My old boss had a GNX Grand National that flat out scared me it pulled so hard...............and imagine that motor with twin turbo's in a lighter body. Factory, and with hop up parts/computer tuning capability. And with all wheel drive...............*drool*

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

15. Re: So what are concidered this generations

hey Frank, got any links to the Typhoon? i never really payed much attention to them. i alway thought they were just hopped up 4.3s with allwheel drive.

</font color=blue>

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you thought wrong pardner, the typhoon was the SHIATTT, pulls 12 sec 1/4 times stock if I remember right, or close to it anyway. always wanted one, and they still bring a premium. I'd like to have a 79 Trans AM with the shaker hood. and the 400. [best tim allen sound] most the senond gen TA's can be picked up cheap and build a mock up, classy, classic, and easy to build.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

18. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

to stuff a big V-8 into alight car you might want a rear wheel drive car, i find that chevettes are light and very cheap. lots of folks are sticking V-8's into them things these days. you would be surprised, but its one of the only small light cars that was actually rear-wheel-drive. and its still a chevy :)
    I recently saw one for sale out here with a 454 in it, and a roll cage, etc.. for $3000.
    it sold too :)
    but id have to say camaros are cool too.
    but for super cheap with the satisfaction of having something that you built, vettes are ok.

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

19. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

I second that! Monte SS's are sweeet. Here's mine: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ssilver85.8m.com>My Monte</a> '78-88 Cutlass's, Regals and Grand Prix's make great sleepers. Big blocks fit with a few minor mods.
    1985 K5 Blazer