Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So what are the best rockcrawling seats?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm looking to replace the seats in my Blazer and have looked at a few but I'm just not sure. I was thinking of the Enduro style from Beard Enduro Seat
    I saw the seats that Steve used but I just can't make up my mind. I don't want too high of sides that make it really hard to get in and out but I do want them to hold me in to some extent. I do want them to be really comfortable while wheeling. Any ideas guys /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'll bump this up.

I'd like to hear some opinions, too.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I like either of these:
    ultra pro

I'm getting 2 of these though: weather resistant /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ultra EBS

The first one doesn't have as high of sides as the second, if you like to lean out the door alot.

4. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

you should check out the Corbeau Baja Ultra and Ultra SS they are good seats that are comfy and the side support is there but will allow you to enter exit quite easily and they are very well priced compared to some of the other stuff out there (i.e. mastercraft)

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Any true suspension seat will feel great. I run beards for price and local availability. Had them in for 2 years on my trail/DD and love them. As for the best, I have heard awsome stuff on master craft. Then again there really aren't any low quality suspension seats out there to cause complaints.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i totally dig the baja ss seats from corbeau. I really beat on my truck in rockcrushers at TSF this weekend and the seats were awesome. They do have raised sides, so getting in-out isnt as easy as a stock seat... but on the other hand, when I am harnessed in, I don't move at all, no matter how much I am bouncing over giant azz rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. Storm Trooper

Thanks for the bump MrK5
    I was looking at the Corbeau Baja Ultra and there other seats but they only come in two colors and look kinda generic?
    The Mastercraft seats look really close to Beard but they cost more.
    The PRP seats are ok too but not many choices /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    The thing to me is that a seat for your truck should be like searcing for the sweet lazyboy, they should have somewhere you can go and try them to see what you really like and what fits you. Ever went to a furniture store and sat on a chair and said..... ugg! this thing sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I just hate to drop $700-800 /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and not be happy, you know? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

and I'd really like to have them before Blazer Bash too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I hear ya. That was the reason I looked for a locally found seat. The shop I got mine from has them sitting out on the showroom floor. I sat in a couple and said these work. The counter guy just picked them up off of the floor and helped toss them in the back of my truck.

9. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

do you guys know if the baja ss will fit in a regualar pickup cab i was thinking of getting them one day. the reason i ask is because they look like they lean back and might hit the rear window or wall.

10. Storm Trooper

I wish I knew of a store like that out here!
    This is kind of what I was looking at
    [​IMG]
    My Blazer has a dark brown dash with tan door covers and it's Black ......
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, this is a old picture without my new bumpers and winch /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Dave, as you may know, I went with Mastercraft seats; a tall PreRun with lower sides for the passenger seat, and a tall Pro with the deep sides and a lower, removeable cushion for the driver's side. What was important to me was that the headrest come up to be slightly higher than the ear. Reason for this is that I drive my truck a fair amount on the street, and I didn't want to risk snapping my neck on too low a headrest in case I would be rear-ended. I looked at this a lot, and Mastercraft has the tallest overall back/headrest dimensions of the suspension seat manufacturers I could find, with the lower cushion in my d-side Pro I sit at just the right level; that's why I bit the $$$ bullet and went with them. Once the seat wears a bit, I may go with a new, slightly higher cushion. As for entry/exit, I now have to yank myself up'n out on the rollcage every time, which admittedly is a bit inconvenient. But I really like the deep seating position and the all-around support the seat gives me, and it is comfortable on the long haul as well. Dang, we should've thought about this at EJS, you could've just sat in my truck and see for yourself. Good luck, michael

Here's a pic just for the heck of it; on the driver's seat, distance from the seat cushion straight up at the back of the seatbelt slot is 9". $$ but I thought it was worth it, and they fit my heigth requirement.
    [​IMG]

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .....they should have somewhere you can go and try them to see what you really like and what fits you.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAY out of your area, but Kartek in Cornona, CA and McKenzies in Anaheim, CA both have seats you can try out. I'd imagine that any of the ORW's in the San Diego area would too.
    If you hurry you can still catch the bikini weather.....

FWIW I've riden in PRP's, Beards, and Mastercrafts. I wasn't all that impressed with the PRP's but that could have also been the old school suspension on that rig. The Beard's (pre Redart) were nice until I rode in the Mastercraft's. Then the Beard's were just OK. If you can swing it you won't be disappointed with the Mastercrafts.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

so mastercrafts were comfortable, and the best support, etc?

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my freind put master craft seats in his Jeep XJ and those things are awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've ridden in two different MAstercraft seats. One was in an Early Bronco whose owner is very particular about the mods he makes. He had Beards in the truck for years and recently switched to Mastercrafts.
    The other Mastercraft I've ridden in is in the Class 10 dez racer I crew on. It might have been the 20"+ of by-pass+coilover damped wheel travel, but that was the comfy-est seat I've sat in over rough stuff. (That I was driving was even cooler!)

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! mastercraft seats sure are $$$$$ though!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have the Beard Super Seats. I think the Beards, Corbeau and Mastercraft are all very similar (I said I think) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the Beard Super Seats. I think the Beards, Corbeau and Mastercraft are all very similar (I said I think) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. There are some more obvious differences when you are at the top of each companies product line, but near the bottom they offer very similar comfort, design, style and price.

19. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

PHEW!!.. i got one right.....hahahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Storm Trooper

Thanks for the replies Michael and everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I sure wish I could try them, side by side /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I'm sure they are both really good but man it's hard to justify the extra costs with mastercraft.
    The seats of their's are $329.95 + seat mounts that they don't show for a Blazer but range from $50-$224.95
    I'll bet the Blazer mounts are $224.95 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    The approximate total would be $885 + shipping.
    The Beard Enduro seats I can get for $265 each and the mounting kit for a Blazer (yes they have them) are about $189.
    Total is about $720 + shipping.
    $165 +or- Diff. between them /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
    I'm VERY picky about what I put in my truck also so if I could prove that the extra $165 was worth it, I'd go with Mastercraft but /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Any more comments would really help so keep them coming /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    The hard thing is that if I order the Beard seats in the next day or so, they say they can get them to me in time but it's going to be close!
    This is driving me /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    BTW, I just downloaded a new pic or the truck so WTH, here it is.....
    [​IMG]
    It looks much better with the bumpers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif