Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so what are we going to do when all the dana 60s are gone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 11, 2001.

just wondering what the next best front axle will be for the full size chevy. dana 60s are hard to find and becoming more and more expensive consequently. it would be nice if there was a way to make 44s and 10 bolts comperable. should we all start swaping in newer t cases and use ford and dodge axles? doubt they're any cheeper. so what's going to be the next best thing?

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

1. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

uhhhh 2wd?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

How about a Dana 70?

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

when the bolt in D60's are all used up, we'll start having to use fabricated ones, like from dynatrac, teraflex, etc. They're getting so popular that you'll have endyokes and knuckles and stuff available new in better configurations. It'll just cost a lot more.
    I think the superduty ford, and the dodge ram will be the beater/capable 4x4 of the future. They're the only thing with an axle in the front anymore.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I hope GM sees the light and tacks on a live axle on the next remodel but from the looks of it they're catering more to soccer-moms(dads).....[​IMG]......even a 10 bolt is better than ifs.....

Murphy's Laws on Life:
    "A bird in the hand is worth three Kleenex."

5. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Jason, Jason, Jason. the key is getting a dana 60 before they are all gone. I just happen to know of a certain matched set of axles that have JASON written all over them. Dana 60 front
    Dana 70 rear. 6.17 gears, detroit lockers front and rear, dual shock mounts front and rear, turned front end by dutchman,
    and fatter axle tubes pressed in. Can you say BEEFY. Come on Jason, the wife will get over it but the axles could last a lifetime!!

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

6. i like that last line " the wife will get over it but the axles could last a lifetime!!" that would make a great comercial slogon if dana were to advertise! it'd be like one of those visa camercials:
    boggers- $1200
    one ton axles- $3000
    383 stroker- $4000
    ability to spin 4 locked up 44s and throw mud 40 feet in the air- priceless!

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian, how much? You never got back to me with the price on the 14's, I posted that my zip is 77378. Thanks.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

8. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, I heard this from a guy that's in my 4 wheeling club.. it sounds a little nuts.. and I doubt it works but....
    He said that you can actually seperate the axelshaft tubes from the pumpkin on some diffs.. then reverse gear the thing and put some new tubes and shafts on the pumpkin and make it a front diff... I know it sounds nuts.. but somehow it sounded kinda right.. but for all that work, I'd just buy one from someplace all loaded.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</A>
    Billybob, the REAL <font color=red>Bionic Redneck</font color=red>

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Everything about that works, except the reverse gears. You need a special housing to use reverse-cut gears, otherwise it won't oil properly. Most front ends (all Chevys) use standard cut gears.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The matched sets your buddies are selling are in my crazy opinion a DEAL! $2500 for that set would be worth every penny.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</A>

11. you ain't a sh!tin', frank! i've seen both rigs that these axles are comming out of. you couldn't come close to duplicating them for $2500! they are bad ass!!! it's sad to see that these trucks are being parted out. one has a 406 sb with a roller cam that just plane kicks ass. it has 39.5 boggers and he can boil all 4 on pavement! his loss can be your gain. [​IMG]

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

We'll have to start swiping the D60's out from under the heeps that have stolen them and discrased them so!!!!! I say if you own a chevy, you have more rights to a D60 than a heep owner! *beats desk with a hammer* Even if the heep owner bought it! A chevy owner still has the right to take it! They were made for full sizes, not heeps! Don't you agree?!
    [​IMG]

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</A>

13. Brians 60s

Matt,
    Sorry I spaced getting back to you. the price to ship the 14 bolt is $189.74 let me know if you are interested. the price for the axles mentioned above is $2,500. there are 2 sets I poseted for sale for friends right now in the parts section if you want to look. And jason is right, they are bad ass. Chris with the 6.17s has over $3,000 in his front end alone. by the way jason, you should go to mastercard and say, "have I got a business opportunity for you" that would be a funny as hell comercial although some people would just not understand.

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Problem with that is, probably a third of the D60's under Heeps are cut-down to fit. One third are custom Dynatrac, Currie, Tractech, et.al., and the last third are the ones that we could use.

Jeez, maybe we WILL have to use F*rd/D**ge T-cases and front D60's in the future...

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

15. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I agree with muddin

1988 K5- Piss on Ford/Dodge/Jeep

16. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

HELL IFF YOU GUYS ARE NEEDING D60 AND YOU CANT FIND ONE GO GET A 14 BOLT REAR END HAVE IT MACHINED SO YOU CAN PUT A KNUCKLE ON IT AND USE THAT FOR A FRONT END OR YOU CAN GET A DODGE FRONT AXLE TUBES AND HAVE THEM PRESSED IN TO THE 14 BOLT HOUSING AND THERE YOU GO A CUSTOM HOUSING THAT WOULD PROBALLY COST THE SAME OF A DANA60 GET WHAT i AM SAYING.
    JUST MY THOUGHTS. i THINK IT WOULD BE COOL.
    K5BLAZERUS

IF its not broke dont fix it

17. Brians 60s

I saw in 4 wheeler a while back a custon 14 bolt front end. There is no doubt it would be very hard to break, plus in the winter you could have your own snow plow.

18. LOL! no sh!t! that would be handy in our neck of the woods! [​IMG]

19. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

how bout using a f*rd dana60 and cut one tube and extending the other tube

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer