Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So what did I break?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thesaint, Nov 29, 2005.

1. thesaint

thesaint Registered Member

Was just down in Baja on our annual THXGVNG trip (my fav holiday!: one more turkey off the street!:)) did the whole trip in 4hi, went down to 4lo to back up a slight grade into my campsite and . . . BANG! click click click. :(
    truck would still move but hops a bit and you can see the dshaft jump teeth. I thought i shaved a few teeth off the ring gear (stock 12bolt) but pulled the cover to find no damage (couldnt see the pinion but no pieces or evidence in case or lube) came out of the canyon and up the lake bed in 4hi and did the highway and home in 2hi with no evidence of damage or recurrence of above symptoms.

could i have snapped something in the low side of the Tcase? I thought 205s were bulletproof :confused:

Does this sound common or like anything anyone has experienced?
    Thanx.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like you stripped the splines in the slip yoke on the drive shaft.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the only problem is with 4LO, maybe the range gears in the T-case are stripped. The first thing I would check, though, is that the linkage is actually engaging you all the way into LO range. It could be as simple as that.