Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so what is the best 4-6" 97 Tahoe lift

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by scotty1, Aug 30, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

so what is the best 4-6\" 97 Tahoe lift

I am getting a 97 Tahoe and thinking of lifting it and going with a set of 33"s. Who has lifted their trucks with which kits and how did it turn out?

2. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

Re: so what is the best 4-6\" 97 Tahoe lift

What kind of wheelin you do?? It would be a good idea to start thinkin straight axle before you sink money into that worhtless IFS! I had IFS and went to straight axle,the IFS was too weak for me.I would break the cup on the cv's any time it got traction leaving me stranded with 2wd in the middle of now where!S.A.S is not as exspensive as you think

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i have a tuff country 6" lift and 33s on my truck. just installed it last weekend or two ago. the truck aligned well afterwards. so far, so good.

[​IMG]

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Your truck looks great, I was thinking a 6" lift and run 33"s and later if I wanted to go up to 35"s and the lift is already there. What gears do you have in your ride and how does the kit ride compaired to stock?

5. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i have 342s /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ...and the lacking <font color="red"> VRRROOMMMMMM </font color> is missed by me /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

the ride is a little stiffer, but its cause if that addaleaf i got in the back. its a long one, too. so i can't imagine the short one. i figure after i get the truck bouncing aroiund some, get that addaleaf worked in, the ride should soften a bit....or i'll get so use to it that i think its softens up /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i'm getting use to driving it though. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Yeah that 3:42/33" tire combo is gonna hurt until you get 4:10 in the diffs. That is what my truck has and I am not looking forward to it. I bet if you carry some good wieght for a couple weeks those add a leaves will settle out some, it is always difficult with the unloaded pickup truck anyway. Thanks for your input/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Cool truck.
    I like the step-sides.

Try the Super-lift 3" spring pack. The pack doesn't look (to me, anyway) to be very-arched, nice tappered leafs. I think most of it's advertized lift comes from the 1/2" thick over-load used. I have this installed on my '74 Jimmy (not running yet but getting close) and 'am happy with the results.

Just a thought'

8. HomeBuilt_95

HomeBuilt_95 Registered Member

I have a BDS 6" and have had it on since last nov. i love it and besides you can't beat the warranty. I think that my ruck rides better with the lift on. I am running 35's m/3:73 and as shorts said i am lacking a little go power as well as a lot of gas mileage.

9. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

hey homebuilt 95, do you have any pics of your truck?? i'm just curious /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. HomeBuilt_95

Not at the moment. I am trying to find someone with a digital camera so i can get some posted. When get some pics i will get them posted.

11. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I would like to see some pics too. I checked the BDS kit, do you have any of the optional stuff like the lateral compression bars or the skid plate?

12. HomeBuilt_95

No i don't have any extras. I checked with a local dealer in a town about three hours away, and they wanted about 250 just for the skid plate. All in all i am extremely happy with the lift. I put it on by my self and the instructions that came with it were very easy to follow.

13. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

not to be noisey but how much did you pay for the kit? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. HomeBuilt_95

I bought it new from a guy in a neighboring town. When one of the auto stores changed owners and names instead of the store sending all of their lifts back to the factory one guy went in and bought all of them. This was about 4-5 years ago. So when i started looking and thinking about a lift i heard about this guy so i called him. He said he wanted $500 for the whole lift. So needless to say I jumped on it.

15. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

hey scotty1, there is a 6" rancho for $850 over on the fullsizechevy.com board

16. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I will check that out thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What kind of wheelin you do?? It would be a good idea to start thinkin straight axle before you sink money into that worhtless IFS! I had IFS and went to straight axle,the IFS was too weak for me.I would break the cup on the cv's any time it got traction leaving me stranded with 2wd in the middle of now where!S.A.S is not as exspensive as you think

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone feels the need to dump money for a straight axle into a truck just becuase they may want to lift it. He didnt ask whats the best way to make my truck a off road machine. He asked about lifts. He doesnt own a peice of crap just becuase its an IFS. Dont know why you feel the need to call his IFS truck Worthless becuase he asked a serious question that had NOTHING to do with your bashing comment /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I have owned a few IFS trucks and I have never gotten stuck or left stranded. You dont need to try to scare people into something they dont want. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

I don't have a lift on my truck, but I have done countless tug of wars and a few sled pull compititions
    and no trouble with the IFS. Full Throttle 4LO with my Propane on dragging a 25,000 pound sled.

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The IFS holds up pretty well stock. But when you put 35"+ tires it tends to get interesting.

20. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I know that 35" tires are pretty much the limit for 1/2 ton ifs setups. I would not go any bigger than 6" lift and 35" tires. I don't go wheeling like I used to, I do go offroad for hunting and kayaking so I do intend to use my truck but not thrash it. If I wanted a SFA truck I would have gotten an older truck but decided IFS would suit my needs. I am getting some performance goodies together like the GMS intake system and a Flowmaster catback along with some Summit shorty headers. New Rancho RS5000 shocks are going on, I have decided to wait awhile for the lift.