Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So what should I do, tire size?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jun 9, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I have a 87 blazer stock engine, some upgrades(cfm-tech stuff, headers, dual exhaust, k&n...) I am running 1 tons with 4.56 gears locker in the rear and a six inch lift and this thing is my daily driver that sees some rock crawling but will be seeing more down the road. Right now I am running 35'' pro comp x terrians but they are getting bald. I want to upgrade to a larger tire but keep it street friendly. My thoughts are 37'' ssr or iroc but I am also entertaning thoughts of the 39.5'' iroc(radials only) not that much more expensive. Well give me your input(pros, cons etc.)

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

37 inch MTR's. you cant go wrong with that tire for your app i dont think. great road manners, great rock manners... dunno about the rest. also they have a decent tread life for DD from waht i have been told. i never owned a set, but i would if they made them for my Dodge... they make a couple of them E rated... thats what i need... just not in a 37 inch tire....
    grant

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I forgot to mention that they are going on a 16" rim and price is a little bit of an issue.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

go irok and never look back. im about 2/5 into mine and i have more then a year of hard street/mall driveing with them. they are outstanding in the mud and street. i havent tired any rocks yet tho.

I would even consider bias ply b/c my 36x13.5x15s look as big as the 37x12.5s interco makes. and not to mentoin they are inexpensive.

i paid around 850 bucks for 4 new iroks and 4 new 15x10 chrome rims last year.

5. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have 39.5 Iroks on my suburban. 4.11 gears ,its road friendly. mine are the radials but next time I going biased ply because mine are just as square in the morning any way, so why spend the money? I want 4.56 gears some day to put back some uumph, but for now its fine. Off road they shine ,bigger is better. They are great in mud. I went to these tires from 35"at's and feel as though I have lost nothing,and gained alot off road. I have stock steering and it feels the same as it did with the 35s

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have always liked the looks of the TSL SX Swamper. They are a heavy ass tire, but w/ one tons drivetrain you should be alright. As for DD goes you are probably better off with the IROK radials IMO than than the SX's though. I am a little different than most people as I do not like the IROKs design all that much. I have had 2 sets of MTR's and think they are the best dual purpose rock and road tire available. If you cannot afford the price difference I would go with the IROK.

Just my .02

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DD + rocks + budget = MTRs

j