Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So, what would you guys do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, so, I was chatting with a buddy tonight, when he showed me a link to a classfieds page that obviously doesn't recieve a whole lot of traffic. Inside, was a 77 GMC stepper. Its obviously badly rotted out, but that isn't a huge concern to me.

What my current situation is that I've got an 89 C1500 that has been boat loads of trouble for me. I've replaced the engine, two transmissions, multiple gauges, both door handles (which are jammed up again!!) and that heater fan switch, with now the stereo starting to act up too, and I really just want to get rid of it.

However, the 89 now has a very strong 355 in it, though the tranny is slipping something horrible on the 2-3 shift.

What I am considering doing, is buying this 77. Its a Sierra Classic, and therefor is reasonably well optioned. Swapping out it's engine / tranny into my 89 with a carburator, and swapping out the TBI 355 from the 89 into the stepper with a spare TH400 I have sitting around.

Assuming I could get myself a driveshaft made for the TH400 in the shortbed, I could have a running, fuel injected truck with a solid transmission for approx 600 bucks or so, and wind up with about 2000 in my pocket from the 89. Being fairly plain jane (no power windows, locks etc) the stepper probally wouldn't give me much trouble, and would be an awesome winter beater. My 89 is just far too long for driving around town (22 some feet from bumper to bumper)

Do you guys think I am thinking crazy here, or is it possible I may be on to something?

Russ

PS -- here are a few pics of the stepper. He has a flat-deck on the back at the moment, but the truck includes the step-side bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the 89

[​IMG]

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I say go for it, but I'm biased. I prefer the older body style anyway.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Go for it. Those early ('88-'89) CK trucks had more than their share of troubles

4. Russell

Your tellin' me?! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna go take a look at the thing later today. With a nice engine, and a flat black spraybomb job, that truck could probally look pretty reasonable, even though it has holes in it rockers etc.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be tempted...

Depending on the price,and how extensive the rot is,I'd say get the older one,and ditch the new body style truck for as much$$$ as you can!..just make sure the frame rails are not rotted,and the cab isn't crumbling away too badly in areas that are impossible to fix..

(I'd love to have that dash pad and door panels out of the one your interested in..my 79 C10 has a Maroon interior,and a severly cracked dash,and the door panels are faded badly)...

I prefer the older ones too,though lately I feel like I'm the square peg in the round hole where I live,driving my 79 C10 around..been trying to sell it (hate to,but I need money more than 2 trucks!)and not one person has shown any interest..and its practically rust free for its age,not your typical new england "salt-box" ..

Offer them a lowball figure first!..you can always raise your offer if they refuse..

My truck would have sold quickly if it were a 4x4--put I'd have my 8' plow setup from my 74 K20 I junked on it,and it wouldn't be for sale if that were the case..unless someone made me a offer I could't refuse!!..:crazy:

6. Russell

Yeah, that 89 is annoying. I haven't tried very hard to sell it, but I've had very little interest in it.

When people first look at it, they go Woah! Nice truck man! At least until they try to open the passenger side door, and it doesn't work :P Then they notice the temp gauge that is constantly pegged, the rattles, the tranny slipping etc etc, lol

7. Russell

Well, I bought the stepper :) Updated pics coming soon!