Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So whatcha all use for hand cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 24, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I'm getting used to having black hands ... but my day job is kinda white-collar, office-like ... so I'm curious what's good to keep me clean enough to sell my soul do Da Man five days a week :D

Yes, I know, nitrile gloves ... but I can't wear them all weekend, they make me sweat and I can't manipulate little bolts and such.

I got some stuff called Orange Clean or Speedy Orange or somesuch; it does a decent job of getting the grease off ... any other idears?

-- A

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anything with pumice or a scrub brush! It works for me but I only work on my k5 like 4-5 times a month not everyday!

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Dish soap. You know, the stuff that's "Soft on hands, but tough on grease." It's specially made to take grease and oil off plates, so it works well on taking grease and oil off hands too. Plus it's cheap and comes in a wide variety of scents. :D

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

bingo! I use Dawn. And the back side of a sponge. ya know, the 2 sided sponges that have one reg side and a "scrubby" side. That works great for me :grin: And I have been working on various farm equip mopst of my life. Some summer days when the bulldozer was down and in the middle of a job turned into long greasy nights to get it back up asap. I used to look like I was dropped head first into a vat of black grease :grin: I miss them days.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Go-Jo, but don't get your hands wet first. Use water only to rinse. And yea Dish soap works good too. For some stuff Laquer thinner works good. I've actually heard that WD-40 will take grease off really well. Never tried it though.

6. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i use gojo, use that and the little scrub brush and my hands are as clean as the day i was born

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont use gas!

Dont use gas or laquer thinner--I washed paint off my hands with thinner for many years--I later learned it goes into your bloodstream and can cause liver damage--ditto for gas!:blush:

I use Dawn dishwasing liquid,or one of the regular "store bought" cleaners like Go-Jo,etc--the pumice stuff is best--or you can use Lestoil,its harsh on skin,but it cuts grease like nothing else--and you smell like a pine tree!--Castrol Super Clean works good but might not be good for you either,its pretty caustic..:crazy:

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

kerosene, gojo orange sand, and green scrubber

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Goop

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

dish soap works real good.

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

$2 tub of goop from harbor freight. Gets it out of the clothes too.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dish soap, the orange stuff and a brush. I honestly think that the brush does most of the work. You can also dig your fingernails into a bar of soap just a little bit before you start working. Helps get the grease out later. Ialso hate the gloves and work in an office.

13. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

we have a big tub of Gojo at the towing yard that we use... Works really well... It does tend to dry out your skin though. But all the grease comes right off!

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I have always liked Fast Orange, works real good and it has evan gotten off dried paint

[​IMG]

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Bleach or motor oil. At work they have some hand cleaner with driveway gravel in it, but my sisssy hands are kind of sensitive to it. It works good though, they get it from the uniform people.

16. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I use fast orange, used to use gojo and both get the job done. Never tried it but some people take a little bit of Dawn soap and rub it in their hands till its dry, it fills in your pores so after your done wrenching you just wash your hands.

Later

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i use industreal strenght laquer thinner, works great but if you dont like that, i use powder landrey soap, and a very course brush.

for bar soap, get sunlight landrey soap in a bar it a huge bar and work good.

and go jo is the best of anyhand cleaner i have ever used and i think i used them all

18. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

dish soap, orange stuff, and sometime I use the powder laundry detergent it works real good and gets really hot when wet, kinda rough on the hands though

19. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Dawn dish shop mixed with Cascade or some other granular dishwasher product, cuts through anything.

20. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fast Orange is my fav. Just ran out about 5 minutes ago after fixing a flat on my Father in law's Pontiac. Dish soap works with a brush or dishrag. My dad's favorite is Boraxo. The dry powder stuff. Get your hand wet, pour some boraxo in it at make a nice gritty paste. The stuff feels like 20 grit sandpaper if you don't use enough water with it. Works pretty good but I always make a mess with it. Plus I think it limits the cleaning to grinding down to the next layer of skin. I think my dad's hands are lined with rawhide or something since that's all he's used for 40 years or more!