Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So whats everybody been eating???

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Thunder, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Tonight We are hosting a Swiss Deer steak dinner for our family Yum 1/2 pound taters and a big bowl of greens.
    lasrt weekend My Bro in Law had a game feed ------ Deer, Dasert Bighorn, Antelope. Then there were the birds... Grouse. Duck Pheasant and Chuckuar..
    We all had big round bellys after it was done. Then we broke out the 12 year old Scotch and the party really strated ...........

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Tonite and all week my GF and I have been grubbin' on pork chops and sausage from the piggy I shot a week and a haf ago. Amazing how much better feral hogs taste compared to the store bought stuff. Also I've been eating a lot of the deer I shot this summer. My brother in Bend, Oregon raises Scottish Highlander cattle, and I went up ther for Thanksgiving, we killed a turkey that hatched in the spring, and deep fried that mofo on Turkey Day. Then he sent me home with some beef from a steer he butchered in the spring. I don't even stop in the meat section of the grocery store anymore. Gotta try and get me some quail 'fore the season ends. Those fokkers are hard to shoot!

BTW, Thunder, what do Swiss Deer look like? J/K

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Been shootin' the sh!t outta the pheasant over here before the season ends,chewin on deer jerky I made this fall. Thinking about making some German sausage outta the rest of the venison I have left,about 30#. My smoker is filled with steelhead right now , thats why I've been up since 2:30am, tending it.I love the winter....:D :xmas:

4. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Since I have been not able to work the past 3 years, we have not bought any fish or meat from a store. Everything that we have eaten has been killed or caught by myself. I have been very lucky to be able to supply food for my family. We eat fish, (bass, crappie, white bass, stripers) and meat, (deer, rabbit, squirrel, chucker, pheasant, turkey, hog).

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    .......Its whats for dinner!

6. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

Well I feel spoiled eating all this ELK! Elk's my favorite meat and just happen to shoot my first Bull this year. He is a 5x5 and I got around 275lbs of meat off him. Otherwise we eat a lot of whitetail, pheasant, grouse, and nasty ducks.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2148&stc=1

Click on the link to check out a picture. I still trying to figure out how to post the picture on the page.

bruno1.jpg

7. ironnut

sorry the pictures so big!

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Store bought ham and parsnips.

9. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

This is supposed to be my first year hunting since I moved to CO. I hope to take an elk, cow or bull, it all eats the same. Haven't hunted since I lived in TX (10 years ago), and whitetail is a whole different thing.

Nice looking bull.

10. ironnut

I don't know if I would say they eat the same. My buddy shot an 7x7 which was an old bull, and it sure was gamey. young bulls and cows taste much better. But the older bulls look better on the wall! :D

11. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is making me hungry for some venison for supper. Off to the freezer!!

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, definitely agree, age does make a difference, just not sex. Clean kill makes all the difference IMO. The ones that run a good ways always taste worse too.

13. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

that's cuz of the adrenaline their bodies are pumping into their muscles for that last dash for life... haha... suckers. j/k