Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So whats it like going from 700/208 to 350/203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzackks84, Jun 15, 2003.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im debating doing this and was wondering how big of a defference there is when wheeling. I know how they are mathmatically but whats it like on the trail? Did it hinder at all or just require a little more of the loud pedal?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've run 3 different tranny/t-case combo's- TH350/NP203. TH400/NP208, and now the SM465/NP203.

350/203 sucks. Low ranges suck. It's heavy, my big block ate the TH350 in a week and half.

TH400/NP208 was a pretty damn cool combo. (Till I broke the case on the 400) The low range in the 208 is the lowest of the factory t-cases available in our trucks with the exception of the 241. If you don't have a crazy high horsepower motor and have low enuff axle ratio's for your tires, I'd stick with the 700/208. Thats if your positive ya wanna stick with the auto's.

SM465/NP203- Frickin bad ass is all I have to say. 54.6:1 crawl ratio with 4.10's, 109.29:1 with a doubler, and 134.4:1 with the doubler and 5.13's. And you won't have to worry about strength, or leaks, or over heating, or anything...Ever. Piece of mind is where its at for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you would definitely be losing a lot of low gearing. Personally i swapped my 208 out for a 205 (700r4 the whole time). I did this cause i didnt wanna mess with SYE kits and the 205 is about as tough a tcase as I ever need. Gives me some piece of mind. Since I did the swap, to be honest, i havent really missed the low gearing at all. Last time at TSF, i never even used 1st gear on my tranny... so I had gear to use still in spite of going from 2.61 (or whatever the 208 is, i forget) to the 1.96 (or whatever) that the 205 is. Others opinions may vary. I tend to take it easy when I wheel... and I generally dont do really extreme rock crawling so I havent missed the lower gearing. If you do do lots of rocks, you might.

j

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its all in what you do. I plan on pulling my 205 for a 241 just for the low range. I've been getting more into rocks and out of the mud though.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, your going from a combo with 7.98 to 4.98
    compounded thoughout the crawl equasion, it can get ugly.

depends on what your going for...

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I really don't know what im going for /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Its an everlasting buildup. My thinking on this is that I would have a great starting grounds for a doubler. I have the extra money to do it and the set in peticular I am looking at has less that 1500 miles on it and 2500 into building the two. My parents have known this guy since I can remember and is one of my good friends uncle. He was going to let it go to me for $700 for everything /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. And I just don't know if I can pass it up. Im not much of a mudder and would take rocks over anything so I do like the crawl ratio of what I've got. But I do plan on putting a 383 in front of my junk eventually and don't have a problem running my current combo for a while.

But it will cost me my 60 for even longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My heads gonna explode!

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if ur gonna lose some low range, why does it have to be in the tranny as well? Unless urs is toast, Id keep the 700r4. If u must, just swap tases... tho I dont know why anyone would put a 203 in when 205s are everywhere. Low gears are pretty much the same, 205 is part time, and its gear driven too.

its just my opinion, but i think u should pass on the deal and save just a few more $ to get a D60. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j