Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

so whats the deal with my brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Nov 2, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

when applying the brakes with even a slight amount of pressure, i feel a pop in the brake pedal and the brake light comes on. and stays on. then once i'm stopped if i pump the brakes firmly 2 or 3 times i feel it pop again and the brake light goes off.

at first this was only happening every once and awhile, and now its happening everytime i use the brakes.

my first thought was the master cylindar. than i got to thinking, maybe its the combo valve...the pin not recentering?

what do you guys think?.

i'm hoping its the master, becasue i can get a new one for around 50 bucks, but if it the combo valve..i priced on out at 200 plus dollars!!!!

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

wow, no one has any thoughts on this?...thats a first for this board

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i used to have that problem when i changed the brake lines. so i kept bleeding my brakes and it was better. but it seems like its starting to come back...i dunno :dunno:

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

My vote is the master cylinder.....

cam

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

check your caliper pins and bushings. might be them. my first vote is the MC, but you can check the caliper pins for free.
    Grant

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I had a popping noise in my brakes once. It came from the rear drums. One of the brake pads came unglued from the shoe and broke into pieces. If that's your problem then get the riveted shoes instead.

7. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

check all the bolt that hold the booster to the firewall and the bolts that hold the swing pedals to the cab.when ya apply presure to the break their is a lot of levrage goin on down there. are ya talkin about the tail lights or the idiot light?

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

its the idiot light on the dash that comes on.
    checked the caliper pins and they were fine. :confused:

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You're still running stock brakes in the rear? correct? If so, it's NOT your front brakes. It's your rear brakes that need adjusted. All of different chevy rigs did the exact same thing when the rear brakes were needing adjustment. What is happening is that you are pushing more brake fluid than normal out of the MC to actuate the rear brakes. When that happens, you will hear and feel a "pop" in the brake pedal and an idiot light on the dash will come on. Then, once you've stopped and pump it up a couple times to build pressure in the line, you'll feel a second "pop" in the brake pedal and the idiot light on the dash will go off.

I'd bet $$ it's your rear brakes. If your drums are too worn out, you'll be able to adjust the brake pads out, but you won't get the drum off again for awhile! :p:

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It's nice to see a vendor that posts to help us with their area of expertise..